PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-12-2014, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.35 MB
Yes, we got in just a week or two before the tours ended of Complex 39 and the VAB.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hi there,

today only a short time visit, as there is not so much to see except a lot of small stuff.

To install the TSM ladders now the support brackets had to be bent from 0.2 mm brass wire. These were 18 pieces for the two ladders on the TSM sides with the center strip (top), and 24 pieces for the 4 ladders on the service-flap boxes (below).

Therefor a sense of proportion was required when inserting the support strip to the flat nose pliers to always possible to have a uniform supernatant before bending the overlaying ends.

And so everything was now ready for the painting of the ladders and supports. Installation is then separately, as already described. First, the support brackets are assembled and then the ladders are glued on the supports.

For the painting of the support brackets I have put these on toothpicks with a tip from patafix,

and then plugged into a styrofoam plate. And that was quite a fumbling, I can tell you.

Now I just hope that the supports do not fly during the airbrush.

So it pays to be at the opportunity then also still the first series lampshades for the MLP should be painted, which are on the balsa strip (below).

And the ladders I will also attach with patafix on toothpicks for painting.

So now I'm going to visit the friends in the paint shop, hopefully are not all in Brazil.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 06-15-2014, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.42 MB
You have a great sense of humor. Your attention to detail show greatly, Now off to the paint dept.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:27 PM

Thanks Rich for the nice words,

but these ladders give me the rest, and if they are painted and installed, I make the known three crosses.
Since I've pretty got me into trouble, but I have to go now, no matter how ...

BTW, after painting, it will then again become quite stressful when I have to groove all the 84 holes for the 42 supports to the TSMs, all in the defined distance corresponding to the rung spacing and of course always exactly vis-à-vis, and that with the ladders on the service flap boxes even on two different levels.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-01-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:18 AM

You've got a hard job ahead, hang in there!
Old 06-18-2014, 04:31 PM

Thanks Rich,

I'll try to bite me through!

Old 06-21-2014, 04:17 PM

High there,

at the same time occupies me now yet another tricky problem. It's about how I should conjure the regular intervals for the base points of the support brackets to the TSMs to groove them in.

This could be marked relatively well on the plane,

but now I have to consider some trick how to apply this to the difficult accessible TSMs.

And that will probably just go with a suitable template, which should however be transparent and as narrow as possible for accurate applying on the TSM to identify the correct position of the ladder and to align the template yet.

In addition I have first transferred my paper template (above) on a transparent film and carefully grooved the base points with a needle. And with this transparent template (below) I then made ​​a test-scribe mark. I just hope that you can see the little holes for the base points above the template yet.

The difficulty, however, now will be the correct aligning and fixing the template on the TSM's because the space is quite narrow and difficult to access, which you can see in the next two pictures again. That's why I'll probably must cut the template to a narrow strip, about 6 mm wide (ladder width 3 mm), then I have to position and fix it somehow for grooving the holes.

On the TSM sides you can apply the template still relatively good,

but on the service-flap boxes it is relatively complicated due to the different heights, in particular then still to be able to accurately groove the holes next to the boxes.

Well, I will already have to try out how to do it best ...

Old 06-22-2014, 03:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Oh My Holy God!

Why is it that I feel so dizzy whenever I take a look at your thread???

It is unbelievable how much patience, skill and dedication is put into that project.

WOW!

Old 06-22-2014, 05:44 AM

Hello Revell-Fan,

my friend for your nice compliments, which give me encouragement to keep pushing on with these crazy tiny details.

Nice if you like it, what am I doing here, but the ladders are really a tough nut to crack, but I'll still crack.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-01-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:26 AM

Dude, you must be on crack to even try this at such a small scale!! Great job!