PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-04-2018, 01:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks Becky,
here is the Master Carver at work,

Source: Scott G. Phillips

and here in front of Pad 39A, proudly awaiting Atlantis' last lauch for STS-135.

Source: Scott G. Phillips
Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-04-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:36 AM

Hello everyone,
and because it's just now about the SOFI foam, here's a little taster from Scott Phillips' book Remove Before Flight,what happened behind the scenes ...

One task after finishing the SOFI spray process included overseeing the disposition of leftover SOFI components - known as Part A and Part B - that formulated the insulation foam. Surplus liquid foam components had to be poured back into their original containers to avoid causing a chemical reaction.

One day, our team member, called Buzz, came back after a "liquid lunch" to clean the machine that mixed the foam. Inadvertently, he poured 10 gallons of Part A into a 55-gallon drum of Part B, tightened the bung cap, and walked away. Within minutes, the bung popped and the 55-gallon drum exploded, immediately filling the room with foam. Everything in the room was destroyed. We never saw Buzz again after that incident ...

I love these stories, which reminds me of the stories of my friend James MacLaren from the NSF Forum, like A Techno-Redneck's Encounter With NASA's Satellite ...

Enjoy!

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-12-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
I'm thinking that if I'm on a Shuttle crew and I know padrats are having "liquid lunches," I might not find the story funny. Glad nobody was hurt when the drum exploded.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Hard to believe, but unfortunately true.

This guy was also guilty of other dangerous misconducts, what Scott Phillips has reported about and was therefore no longer sustainable.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:52 PM

Hello everybody,

meanwhile, my friend Joe (crackerjazz) from the ARC Forum found time and has started with the 3D modeling of the Main Sprockets, of which I need 16 pieces, which Shapeways should print in FUD.

Initially, he had only used the front view of the drawing I had supplied and apparently had some problems with the implementation in his CAD program (Solidworks), especially with the dimension 33,6''.

But then I pointed him to the side view, which shows that this value is the measure at the lowest point of the lower curve of the wheel, what he probably had not considered.

And now he seems to cope with it, as his following pictures show.

As it looks the modeling seems to be pretty tricky, but he'll get it done, I'm pretty sure, so keep fingers crossed!
I can only watch again and be amazed ...

Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 AM

Hello everyone,
well, this drive wheel really seems to be a hard nut, if one has a look at the next pictures of my friend Joe, who has diligently continued to model.

Source: arcforums.com (crackerjazz)

At least here it becomes clear how many sub-steps are obviously necessary to capture and model all these contours and ledges,

until finally this single sprocket is finished, which looks great.

But I think, that now not much is missing to make a suitable 3D printing set out of it. And that's why I've thought about the most favorable arrangement/orientation for printing and think that the sprockets could be arranged flat in a set consisting of two rows of nine wheels, whereby I would have two spare wheels.
Now I'm curious to see what will come out in the end and what such a Set of 18 in FUD will cost.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:25 AM

Hello everybody,

my friend Joe just asked me if it would not be better to just let print only a single sprocket first, to see if will mesh well with the Track shoes, which would certainly make sense.

Therefore, I had already pointed out to him in advance that the following condition had to be guaranteed, namely, that W2 fits into W1.

Source: microartwork.com (Mischa Klement)

But that would have to be guaranteed, provided that the drawings are correct, whereof I go out, and that he has correctly implemented them in his model (1:160).

Therefore, he should first upload only a single, flat-lying wheel, so I can let print it in FUD and FXD on a trial basis. After the aptitude test we can then decide about the final Set of 18.
Well, just wait and see!

Old 10-18-2018, 06:16 PM

Hello everyone,

the tea was good, and my friend Joe hardworking, who has already uploaded his Main Sprocket model.

Source: shapeways.com (Crackerjazz)

I was a bit scared when I looked at the 3D view and saw that the sprocket is hollow, which was completely new to me,

especially since the sprockets of other crawler modelers in the Raumcon forum are full and not hollow, which I had in mind.

Source: raumfahrer.net (Sascha1990)

Source: raumfahrer.net (slimgo)

Therefore, I was very skeptical at first and have immediately searched for suitable photos to clarify this. But in my archives I did not find anything at first, because on the normal crawler pictures you can not really see the drive wheels under the chains.
In this photo, I found the first signs of cavities, if one looks closely.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (AnalogMan)

But in the NASASpaceflight-Forum there is a special Crawler-Transporter thread about the modification of the CT-2 for the mighty launchers of the future Space Launch System (SLS) of NASA, in which I then have indeed found clear evidences.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (MechTech)

Here to see beautiful in the falling sunlight.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (sprtnsky)
And here's a Hi-Res look into a drive wheel or through it out, which would also eliminate the last doubts.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (MechTech)
And so I ordered two sprockets at Shapeways, both in FUD and in FXD in order to be able to test their interaction with the Track shoes.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:32 AM

Good morning folks,

now I also got the corresponding screenshot with the Support Material showing the expected arrangement.

The big lot of support wax would also explain the relatively high price of the Sprocket, half as much wax would certainly have been enough too, I guess ...

Therefore I also asked my friend Joe, also to upload a model with an upright print orientation of the sprocket. I think that this would require less support material, so the price might be slightly lower.
The side effect thereby is, that the top side should be smooth and the bottom rough, which in turn is important for cleaning.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-19-2018 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:21 PM

Hello everyone,
after the first joy Shapeways came up with the next unwelcome surprise and has stated that they can not print the Main Sprocket.

Supposedly they have informed the designer about the problems with the part, but which is a smooth Fake News.

So slowly I start to doubt this club, I can't think of anything more ...

The strange thing is that the shape of the Sprocket is less complex than that of the Track shoes, and the wall thicknesses are all according to specs, as my friend Joe says.