PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-19-2018, 06:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hi friends,

after I was first informed on my astonished enquiry that my already well-known SW friend Mitchell Jetten from the Track shoes story would answer me, now came this joke message ... Awesome!!!

This reinforces my impression of SW, that's an case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand's doing ...

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 10-20-2018, 02:53 PM

Hello everybody,

after my friend Joe had uploaded the upright-standing Sprocket, to see how the Support wax is distributed at this printing orientation, I have ordered both variants (FUD and FXD).

Source: shapeways.com (Crackerjazz)

And this is the distribution of the Support Material which shows that the wheel is quite bizarre wrapped in wax,

which is why I think that the flat printing orientation might even be more favourable.

Since at least the top side does not come in contact with the wax, it would remain smooth, and the rougher underside of the wheels would hardly be visible between the truck chains from the outside anyway.

And then I tried the same trick from the Track shoe story again and ordered the sprocket once again in a flat printing orientation come hell or high water, in the hope that this time it might just as well come through the control like the criticized Track Shoe Set in those days, whereby this flat lying sprocket now, strangely enough, is only still offered in FXD.
Now I'm curious how the story ends this time, so keep your fingers crossed!

Old 10-21-2018, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Here is hoping this "episode" with Shapeways is sorted a lot easier than with the track feet. I am sure it must drive you mad at times Manfred but remember in the end your crawler will be truly wonderful.

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-21-2018, 11:20 AM

Thanks Kevin for your comforting words, I also do not know what to think of it.

Hello everyone,

but I have at least achieved a partial success, because the upright standing Sprocket variant, which I ordered in FUD and FXD, went through Processing and is meanwhile In Production.

Source: shapeways.com
The again ordered flat lying variant, however, is still under review (Processing), but still not rejected at least.

No matter how, at least that would prove that the Sprocket is printable, so I have an argument in hand to demand the printing of the flat version as well.
So far there is also still no explanation why this variant could not be printed at the first attempt. So SW is somehow in a tight spot, let's see how it goes out ...

Old 10-22-2018, 01:29 AM

Hello everybody,

this is the reason for SW's rejection what my friend Joe will check now.

Source: shapeways.com (Mitchell Jetten)

That's strange, because that is the same model as for the upright standing sprocket, which is in production. Why can this be produced and the flat lying sprocket not?

That is a contradiction, which SW should explain, whereupon I am curious.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:10 AM

Hello friends,

here is the answer of "my" SW-Service Team employee Mitchell Jetten:

It looks like these 2 orders are checked by 2 different people.
One of them didn't mind the 0,21 mm thickness while the other engineer did catch it and rejected the model for this reason:

Source: shapeways.com (Mitchell Jetten)

So right now the order 2672981 is being produced! These are the two standing variants (FUD & FXD).

As all models are subject by manual checking, if a part does't meet the minimum required the 0,3 mm thickness, there are chances it gets rejected :(
Would you be able to ask the designer to increase the thickness to 0,3 mm to make sure these are not being rejected again?

There you look!!! This is the same nonsense as at the Track shoes dispute.

I just wanted to answer him that this change would mean quite an effort for the designer, and that it would be easier if SW internally would enforce that this flat variant is to be printed since it is based on the same 3D model as the current upright standing variant which is just in production.

Only well, that for the umpteenth time I've checked the processing status of the newly ordered (previously rejected) flat version, because lo and behold, suddenly this sprocket is now also In Production ...

Source: shapeways.com

What does that tell us? One has to go only long enough on the SW-species' nerves to the motto Steady drops hollow the stone, then it works already ...
Now I can sit back and wait until both variants are there to inspect the wax residuals ...
And then we can decide from which variant my friend Joe should upload a Set of 16.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-22-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:43 AM

Hello everybody,
today came the happy message from Shapeways that both ordered Sprocket variants are shipped.
Now I'm curious how they will look!

Old 10-23-2018, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
I think these minimum requirements are made for safety reasons to avoid disapointment and a flood of claims. If a model cannot be printed or is printed with defects due to a deviation from the 0.3 mm rule SW cannot be held reliable for a misprint if the client deliberately decides to have the item printed despite the safety warnings. A deviation might result in a defective print but it does not have to. I guess there are several things working for and against that requirement, so in essence, you may be just lucky.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:10 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
and some days lucky is just the ticket.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:00 PM

Thanks Marcell and Elliott for your nice comments.
Well, Shapeways' 3D print is more of an adventure than pure pleasure, but one has to go through that experience and still stick to it, to hold on tight to the own dream ...