PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-15-2019, 04:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks David for looking in on me again,

of course, I know this awesome video Best of the Best of Shuttle Launches with its fantastic slow motion sequences and have already taken many details from it. Almost exactly a year ago, I introduced it to my post #1542 when I had worked on the Aft Skirt Thermal Curtains (ASTC).

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 01-16-2019, 04:44 PM

Hello everybody,
well then, let's start 2019 with fresh power and full motivation.

In the old year I had still registered in the Dental laboratory ChiliDent for another ultrasonic cleaning, in order to clean the Early LWT Intertank (FUD) of the support wax.

Last Friday I visited the Dental lab,

wherefore I packed not only the IT but also all Track Shoes and Main Sprockets, in order to speak about their still pending cleaning.

The cleaning in the ultrasonic bath took place again under the same conditions as the first time with TICKOPURR 60 (20 %) at approx. 70 °C, whereby I turned the flat lying IT every half hour by 180°.

In the interim, I've read further in Scott Phillips's book Remove Before Flight, which I can really recommend because it's easy , and was even provided by the nice guys with espresso and fresh soda.

Here is an image of the IT after 2 h cleaning, on which unfortunately one can not see too much, at least but so much, that still some areas remained with wax residues, so cleaning was continued for a total of 4 h.

After that, the IT had adopted the familiar white color, which is generally a sign that all wax remains are removed and the IT is completely cleaned, which can be seen very nicely in these images.

And with this result, I was then more than satisfied and could ride home after appointment for the next cleaning.

Here are a few shots of the clean IT after my return, on which one also can recognize well the details of the Close-outs.

And even in the provisionally installed state, the IT looks really good.

Here again for comparison the uncleaned tank after Shapeways' delivery, which this time, unlike previous prints, had strangely felt rather oily, which I was wondering about.

Now it really fits to the real Lightweight Tank (LWT) ET-8, as flown for the first time during STS-6, which finally satisfies me absolutely - All's well that ends well.

Last edited by spacerunner; 01-16-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Hello everybody,

after a short detour to the moon in the year of the 50th Anniversary of the first Moon landing by Apollo 11 in our German Raumcon Forum, in order to comment on the events around Paul Van Hoeydonck's unique sculpture "Man in Space", which was laid down on the moon by David Scott during Apollo 15 mission as "Fallen Astronaut" along with a plaque with the fourteen names of astronauts and cosmonauts who have died in the pursuit of Space exploration,

Source: BILD (Ken Glover)

I'm back on track again.

Today I want to start with the preparations for the creation of the wavy SOFI Ring Structure, for which I famously wanted to apply a combined Flour&Strip Method.

Last summer I had first determined the shape and then the geometry of the SOFI Texture and started with first preliminary experiments, s. Reply #1741.

For the starting pattern (left) that time I had glued single rings of 1 mm wide Rai-Ro-Tape next to each other onto my ET dummy and used a magnet strip loop of Evergreen strip 0,25 mm x 0,5 mm as a spacer.

In the meantime, I also got me the required different width masking tapes and thought about some more patterns.

For the 2nd pattern I have successively glued single turns of 0,75 mm tape and in between at the same time as spacer a black 0,5 mm tape as continuous spirals (Barber pole), which was rather tricky,

but has worked well nevertheless.

For the 3rd pattern I've glued Evergreen strips 0,25 mm x 0,75 mm in the same way by using MEK, which are thicker than the used Tape strip (about 0,1 mm).

Before the Flour test, the spacer tapes (0,5 mm) are removed again.

For the 4th pattern I have glued onto the 0,75 mm tape one more layer 0,5 mm tape, to get something more thickness, and for the 5th pattern I have cut some 0,75 mm wide strips of Evergreen Sheet Styrene (0,1 mm) and glued them also by using MEK with 0,5 mm spacing.

Next up follows the Flour test by using spray glue, which I am very curious about.

Last edited by spacerunner; 02-11-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Hello everybody,

the ingredients for the Flour orgy are ready and waiting for their application.

The flour is fresh from the supermarket, and the Pattex spray glue I have precautionally tested once more, because I did not use it for a long time, but it still glues like hell!
But now I have to go to the basement, because here I ultimately want to continue with building ...

That's why it could then also start soon.
Now I just have to think about how I can hold best the Dummy when spraying and sprinkling with flour ...

Old 02-12-2019, 05:52 PM

Hello everybody,
in the meantime, I came up with the following solution for handling the Dummy ET and imagine a simple small holding jig from cardboard, much like a Rotary spit for suckling pigs, the Dummy being the suckling pig.

Source: chefkoch.de

For this I will fill the Dummy tube on both sides with Styrofoam and insert a rod. And then I'll turn this spit slowly by hand, both when spraying with the Spray adhesive and during the subsequent dusting with flour, that's all.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:22 AM

Hello friends,

and thus from the idea to the practical implementation, this is my Hi-Tech Holding jig for dusting the ET Dummy with flour, which looks cool, right?

I do not want to win a Designer prize, and so the purpose justifies the means!
Therefore, please keep all available fingers pressed that the test works well.

Last edited by spacerunner; 02-13-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Wishing you the best of luck on this one, Manfred.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:00 PM

Thanks Ed for your support, let's see what will happen and how it will look like ...

Old 02-19-2019, 06:32 PM

Hello everybody,
well then let's go into the cellar bakery and get to the sticky Flour pleasure. So that not everything is made sticky afterwards, I have precautionally covered the environment with foil.

For a more even flour application I used this sieve instead of the small shovel, which is very suitable for this.

And then the Pattex Adhesive Spray was applicated, whereby I've turned the Dummy slowly several times during the spraying process.

The spray layer looked strangely flaky, whereat I've wondered about, especially because I remembered the image of the formerly used UHU Adhesive Spray which looked somehow more fluidly ...

After the photo, I've immediately taken up the flour sieve. While I was shooting the Dummy, I then sprinkled up a lot of flour and subsequently pressed it lightly with my fingers.

Then I've gently tapped the Dummy around with my finger, causing much of the flour to fall off.

So now I let stand the whole thing once over night, so that the glue can dry through.

Here is a close-up of the first two patterns, where one can still recognize the stripes of the cover tape.

In the meantime I've taken the LH2 Tank and started to remove this Pressurization line, which had not existed on the ET-8 during STS-6. That was pretty good doable with the Chisel cutter,

whereby it is advantageous to put the blade with the slope downwards to produce no unsightly nicks.

Tomorrow I will then remove the excess flour with a brush and present you the result of this Flour test application, which I myself am very curious.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Wow Manfred, this looks like it is going to be pretty tricky. But it will look fantastic when you pull it off. Fingers crossed for you and looking forward to progress updates

Regards

Kevin