PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-28-2019, 08:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

and since both Airfix and Revell did not consider these two Umbilicals in their kits, but at least should be hinted, therefore here another view showing the connection of all lines and cables between the ET and the Orbiter Doors.

Source: NASA

And who wants to follow all the details exactly, can look at this drawing and even find some dimensions, whereby it should be noted that the struts are shown here without TPS.

Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT - Vol. II

For the further building process, it will become useful to model the ET/Orbiter Interface Attachment incl. Umbilicals separately and to glue it only after the Flour coating, priming and painting of the ET. Then I need to mask only the connecting areas of the two Longerons as well as the foot points of the vertical struts.

Then follows the mounting of the LO2 Feedline as well as the Ice Frost Ramps with the two GH2/GO2 Press. Lines and the Cable Tray on the LH2 tank, as well as the installation of the GO2 Press. Line along with its Ramps and Cable Tray on the LO2 tank.

And only at the very end the complete and painted ET/Orbiter Interface Attachment are glued and the corresponding line connections adjusted at the interfaces.
So far to the theory, that wants to be well considered. I just hope that this can also be realized in practice.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 05-30-2019, 11:29 AM

Hello everybody,
to get in advance an idea of the size of the two Umbilicals, which I want to scratch, I reduced the drawing to 1:144 and cut out the Crossbeam with the Umbilicals and Cable Trays and put it onto the Crossbeam of the Airfix ET.
And now one can see how small these miniature parts are that always look so huge in the photos.

Here is a photo in daylight.

And matching it I have a great photo of my friend Scott "Shuttleman" Phillips (see arrow), standing as young but then already about 1.80 m large greenhorn next to a Original LH2 Umbilical, which shows the true size of this part.

Source: Scott Phillips
Mighty impressive, right?

By the way, Scott Phillips has been busy for quite some time with two very interesting projects in honor of the 50th Anniversary of the first Moon landing, which is imminent.

Since I've supported him a bit, I was also let in on, but I had to promise him not to reveal anything, as it should become a surprise.

Here one can see Scott and his wife Dianne in the workshop of the creators before the internal unveiling of the "Corpus Delicti".

Only so much in advance, it has something to do with historic wood ...

Last edited by spacerunner; 06-11-2019 at 03:37 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:09 PM

Hello everybody,

in the meantime, I went into more detail to find out where the interface between the LH2 Cable Tray and the Aft ET/Orbiter Attachments is, or how the cables out of the the LO2 Cable Tray get there, especially since this is a pretty tricky affair and there are hardly any direct photos of this interface.

One also should know how the cables run out of the cable tray onto the LH2 Tank from point A via B and C respectively D to the LO2/LH2 Umbilicals and wherefore this gray box (?) is used, which could possibly be a kind of distribution box?

Maybe there are useful hints from the forum, if so, then always ago with it.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:05 AM

Hello folks,

to this question I also consulted my friend DaveS (forum.nasaspaceflight.com), who also had some interesting photos in stock, like this one.

on which unfortunately one can not see this interface of the LH2 Cable Tray that interests me, as it is obscured by the Vertical Strut as in most photos. But at least one can see more of the arrangement of this gray 'distribution box', which apparently has such a function.

Afterwards, I've continued to search for the interface myself, and as one could already see in this photo,

the LH2 Cable Tray seems to run diagonally upwards at the point A, possibly to this 'distribution box', as it also appears in this photo of the ET-8 (STS-6).

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (woods170)

The matter got a bit clearer to me when I saw this photo of the ET-119 (STS-121) zoomed in,

on which one can see at the point A the continuation of the gray LH2 Cable Tray, but which not directly leads to the 'distribution box' but apparently to the Vertical strut.
And then suddenly the penny dropped, when I've again checked this photo again and asked DaveS for it.

And on this image detail of ET-122 (STS-134) one can see this interface almost even better.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

And finally, DaveS confirmed my guess and sent me this detail photo of the ET-125 (STS-122), whereat the orientation is a bit difficult to see at first glance.

Who wants, can first try to find one's way before it goes on with the further course of the LH2 Cables, as they still did not arrive at the LH2 Umbilical ...

Old 06-14-2019, 06:22 AM

Hello everybody,

okay, I admit that this photo by DaveS takes some getting used to, and I also took some time to find my way, although I've already seen many similar photos, but not yet with opened cable tray.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DaveS)

What strikes all these photos is this ominous 'distribution box', who initially looked orange-brown, as here at the mission STS-6,

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (woods170)

or here at STS-47.

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

Only with the later missions he looked then gray, as in the following picture. As one can see, from this 'distribution box' the yellow marked LH2 Cable Tray seems to branch off, which then on the front of the Crossbeam runs to the other side to the LH2 Umbilical.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DDG40)

The confirmation for my guess came then with this great photo by Scott Phillips, whom I've also consulted, here with the front TPS covering removed.

And with that the hitherto searched interface of the LH2 Cable Tray gradually becomes clearer, which I have circled here yellow, which discharges into the TPS cladding of the Vertical Strut.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DaveS)

And, as I've learned by now, not only the LH2 cables run inside the LH2 cable tray, but also the LO2 cables, which was not clear to me yet. But as I learned from DaveS too, the cable trays that time were named after the ET tanks (LH2/LO2) and say nothing about the cables running in it, but what one has to know.

And by this picture-in-picture montage will hopefully become clear, where this place is located, whereby this image is rotated 90° and the TPS cladding on the front of the Vertical Strut is open (blue arrows).

In the next photo one can see the opened LH2 Cable Tray in front of the crossbeam with the cables running into it, which lead to the LH2 Umbilical,

as well as here the cable harnesses laid in the opened knee of the LO2 Cable Tray.

And so I now know about how the cable trays and other lines run, and thus can try to scratch this ET/Orbiter Attachments accordingly.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:37 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Wow. You do know that we now expect a complete launch from this model!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
It is unbelievable that such relatively small "clamps" were able to hold the whole shuttle in place, and this even in the vertical position. Compared to the way the Saturn V was constructed (one stage atop of another) this even tops her engineering (not to diminish her design; however, basically she was a magnified silvester rocket - unlike the shuttle ). Just imagine, you have to come up with the idea in the first place. Then you have to find suitable materials, make test builds, build the real thing (and hope it won't detach at the wrong moment).
Old 06-14-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
Wow. You do know that we now expect a complete launch from this model!
Sorry Ray!
My motto in Scratchbuilding is: Nothing is impossible, but in this case then probably yet!

Old 06-14-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell-Fan View Post
It is unbelievable that such relatively small "clamps" were able to hold the whole shuttle in place, and this even in the vertical position. Compared to the way the Saturn V was constructed (one stage atop of another) this even tops her engineering (not to diminish her design; however, basically she was a magnified silvester rocket - unlike the shuttle ). Just imagine, you have to come up with the idea in the first place. Then you have to find suitable materials, make test builds, build the real thing (and hope it won't detach at the wrong moment).
Hi Marcell,
yeah, this ingenious technique inspires me also again and again.

And then one has to consider one thing, these connections had to be separated pointedly, e.g. if the SRBs were burned out, or the ET was dropped. And it all worked in a similar way as loosening the SRB fittings with the MLP Hold-down Posts during the lift-off, namely through targeted detonation of frangible nuts.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:08 AM

Hello everybody,

but this is just one side of the ET/Orbiter Interface.

But the other side on the Shuttle has to fit too. And therewith it looks pretty poor on the Airfix Kit,

because the two Orbiter doors are not present, let alone their deepenings in the opened state, just like one needs it for the Stack (ET/Orbiter).

The least would therefore be a solution in which one could glue a Decal or a paper printout of the two doors in the opened state onto the appropriate place, which would look a bit better, namely something like here.

It would be even still better, of course, if the two deepenings were really brought in, however, and then glue the Umbilical decals into, or simply the printout, and the two doors in between, what I could imagine.

This is what my friend Mike (egt95) did in the ARC forum on his STS-1 stack.

Source: arcforums.com (egt95)

But since this place at the finished stack on the MLP can not be seen anyway, glued decals/printouts without the openings, but with glued doors would actually suffice.

In the meantime I started with the modification of the Airfix-Longerons, which protrude anyway and do not rest on flat. These are these stripes on both sides at the end of the LH2 Tank, on which the oblique Thrust Struts and the Vertical Struts are mounted, because these parts do not look like in reality, as one could see already on this well-known photo of the ET-8.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

For me, it seems, that the SOFI patterns has been leveled in this area, with only the front wedge-shaped part is supporting the oblique strut.

And this I have modified by sanding off the Kit-Longerons accordingly, whereby now the front slant ramp must be filled accordingly.

And here I have tried to adapt the TPS cladding from the Newware Kit, for which I had to sand off approx. half of the lower block of the Airfix-Strut, however, whereby the lower part of the Resin-cladding seems too clunky to me, which is why it still has to slim down a bit.

But every beginning is difficult, just do not panic ...