PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-28-2019, 05:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hi friends,

here is the continuation of my last post.

Here, the TPS cladding is already glued under the Crossbeam and the Press. Line was inserted from the LO2 Side by way of trial.

And here the previous ET/Orbiter attachment sits on his place and makes a good impression.

Next, I'll try to scratch this flat Cable tray distributor and the front mounts, and then as the crowning end of this side the end of the GH2 Press. Line will be installed.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 09-05-2019, 12:53 AM

Hello everybody,

let's go on with this crazy Cable Tray stuff, most of the details of this LH2 Umbilical with the corresponding Cable Tray are done, but at looking closely, I've still noticed a few inconsistencies.

But first to those missing details, which are relatively clear, like this lateral branch from the Cable Tray Distributor as well as the following arcuate transition into the Vertical Strut. This lateral branch is relatively easy and quick to lay, as it has the same dimensions (0,6 mm x 1 mm) as the Cable tray running in front of the Crossbeam.

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway) Quelle: NASA

But then comes with the narrow bow (red circles) into the TPS cladding of the vertical strut the trickier part. Although this is similar to the bow of the cable channel at the transition to the Umbilical plate and was filed again from the solid, for which I've used a Rectangular profile (1 mm x 1,5 mm), but this bow had to be significantly narrower, so the handling was even more difficult this time.

To fit in the narrow gap in front of the vertical strut, this bow was allowed to be only 1,5 mm wide, as can be seen here. And so the fumbling when glueing this stub was pretty stressful again ...

After several test fittings and patiently step-by-step sanding of the part, the mounting did succeed.

Afterwards I've extended the TPS cladding (Newware) like on the other side at the upper end and finally glued this small upper mount,

whereupon I had to take a breather first.

And once in the exercise, it went on with the two tiny Cable Tray mounts behind the Crossbeam, which can be seen here.

Source: NASA

For the parts sitting on the cable channel (0,5 mm x 0,5 mm), which reach to the outer LH2 Feedline Bracket, I had to stick together two Strips 0,25 mm x 0,5 mm because I currently have no strip 0,5 mm x 0,5 mm in stock.

Since these stubs had some overhang, I had to remove it subsequently, which turned out to be an extremely difficult task, as there is hardly enough room left for handling at this bizarre structure and the breakage risk was very high on top of that.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:53 AM

So only gentle and careful sanding remained as the only solution left which then worked reasonably well. Then I glued the lateral holders (0,25 mm x 0,5 mm), the supernatant of which was separated from below with a narrow razor blade,

whereupon everything was still carefully sanded with a narrow self-made grinding stick (500 grit).

And then it went on with the cover of the Cable Tray Distributor, which was shown in the first picture (left, below the circled branch). For this purpose, the cable channel received lateral strips of an Evergreen strip (0,25 mm x 1 mm) and a cover made of 0,1 mm Styrene, the shape of which I had to modify a bit due to the space available, as one can see here.

Finally, the missing claddings were glued at both Vertical Struts,

whereby next, the mounting of the transition of the GH2 Press. Line will follow.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.53 MB
Wow

Such detail!

Wow
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 10-19-2019, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Dear Manfred

As ever your explanations, archive photos and pictures of your work in progress are amazing. These latest parts you are crafting and incredible. I don't know how you can even see them let alone cut and manipulate them!

I was just curious, did you know there was such a fantastic source of photos of the space shuttle when you started? (I wish there was similar for the Saturn V/Apollo)

Keep up the fantastic work and thanks for taking the time to post your progress.

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-24-2019, 02:15 PM

Thanks guys for your nice words,

as you can see, I'm still alive after this terrible PM-break for Germany. I hope you did not miss me too much.

In the meantime I've contiuned scratching these crazy details, that's why let's go on step by step.

Hello everybody,
okay, then I want to dabble as a pipe bender with the GH2 Press. Line - The proof is in the pudding.

Therefore, I have put together the matching pictures once more, on which one can see the course of the line well.

On the following photo (left) it looked for me at first as if the line behind the pipe joint slightly obliquely go up, which is not true, because the kink goes namely down, as shown in the photo (right) able to see.

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway) Source: NASA

As already mentioned, the pipe should have a diameter of 0,4 mm (2'').

For the first test bending I have used Copper wire (Ø 0,4 mm) because it is bendable nicely and certainly some corrections will be needed until the shape of the line is adjusted, I think.

And after a few fittings and slight corrections in narrowest space, the result looked like that, which is nothing to sneeze at, as I think.

The two drilled holes in the Cable Tray under the Crossbeam, as well as in the Umbilical Plate proved to be advantageous for the mounting of the line, who gave a certain amount of support during threading and correction.

Hopefully the Nickel silver wire will let bend a bit more exactly. But for now, I'm already very happy with the result so far.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-24-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:22 AM

Hello friends,

so far so good, but now there are on the GH2 Press. Line even these four Fittings, which in my estimation should have a diameter about of 1 mm and a width of 0,5 mm.

Source: NASA

And who knows me a little bit, probably suspects that I will try these things at least once. At that at first I thought of my Lead wire Ø 0,4 mm, which I already used for similar things on the SSWS Pipes.

For this I wrapped the lead wire around the Copper wire (Ø 0,4 mm) and then separated this spiral with the Cutter chisel.

Then I rounded the rings around the copper wire with the tweezers to close the tiny gaps,

which then look like this.

The threading of these rings onto the bent line was then a tricky puzzle, but let still carry out. The insertion in contrast was rather difficult because the space for the tweezers for handling is very tight and the rings have partially bent up.

But I was not thrilled by this result, however.
Then the thought of thin insulating sleeve came to me, which I have already used successfully for such tiny rings.

To make as nearly as possible rings with the same width, I put the hose between steel rulers and then separated pieces of 0,5 mm.

These rings look a bit more like the real fittings, because their sides are straight, and they were also easier to thread up,

and the result when installed looks in my view also much better than with the Lead wire rings. Maybe the rings could be still a little bit narrower.

The only question is again whether the effort is worthwhile, because one can barely see this GH2 Press. Line on the upright Shuttle stack later anyway, how some other details also not, even though if the master builder would be more satisfied.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Madness! Utter madness!! But fascinating to watch madness!!! :-)

Your dedication to detail never fails to amaze me.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:27 AM

Thanks for your nice compliments!
Then you will continue to have fun too, if you'll stay tuned.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:04 AM

Hello everybody,

today I have made a few more experiments to make these Fitting rings, wherefore I've fished out again my Punch & Die Set (USM).

I first used Styrene (0,5 mm), from which I punched a small disk with Ø 1 mm,

which then was drilled out with Ø 0,4 mm,

and then was threaded onto the Nickel silver wire (Ø 0,4 mm).

The same procedure I did for comparison with Styrene 0,4 mm, whereto I used a normal Fileback fastener.

This somewhat narrower disc can be seen to the left of the 0,5 mm disc, and above that the rings made of Insulating hose.

Due to the uniform thickness, the punched rings would certainly look more even, whereas the rings made of Insulating hose are easier to manufacture and better fit the contours of the Cable Tray and the Feedline. As a result, I'll probably stay with the insulating hose variant.