PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-13-2019, 02:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

and after the end piece of the GO2 Press. Line now to the end piece of the GH2 Press. Line, which directly lies next to it and after two bendings runs slantwise upwards in the direction of Crossbeam, as one can see on this image.

Source: NASA

With this line I want to proceed the same as with the GO2 Press. Line and initially only bend its end piece from the last Ice Frost Ramp (R24) to the TPS cladding under the Crossbeam, because the continuation of the line on the LH2 Tank until the Fairing on the Intertank should also be installed separately.

In the following image I have used a Steel rod (Ø 0,4mm) for the GH2 Press. Line and threaded it into the back three Resin ramps from the Newware Kit (NW 131).

On this photo one can see an Original ramp with the two Press. Lines, as well as the LH2 Cable Tray runnig below.

And already as forward look and for the sake of completeness, in the following image are to see the 17 Ice Frost Ramps on the LH2 Tank , whereby the Ramps 1-14 (R23) are "Double"-Ramps (see previous photo).

The connection point of this line piece at the TPS cladding under the Crossbeam can be seen in the following photos.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

In this photo one can see in the zoom that in front of the Fitting in front of the TPS cladding also still a small Support is sitting.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DDG40)

And that is this point here on the model, which has unfortunately proved to be too low with detailed review and measurement of the gap to the LO2 Feedline Bracket, which is why I had to shorten the TPS cladding very carefully a little bit with a razor blade to create the required space for the little Support.

And these are the required separates. The small Support I've cut off from the rest of the TPS cladding, in front of it lies the tiny Fitting made of Insulating hose, and in front of them the Cu dummy for the end piece of the Press. Line (Ø 0,4 mm).

And the test fitting of the Press. Line looks already rather well.

But with that I was again faced with the same problem of threading the tiny Fitting in the space of this gap ...

But meanwhile I have some practice with it, and that's why I have prepared this time again a small Toothpick-Tape holder, as at that time in a similar action at the SSWS on the MLP,

at its top of which this time the Fitting hung.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 11-13-2019, 02:47 AM

The threading was again a similarly stressful and shaky matter with held breath as at the GO2 Press. Line, but ultimately I was successfully again, as one can see.

Now I can put the Attachment back onto the ET and determine the length of the Press. Line up to the lower two bendings in front of the rear Ice Ramp (R24), which can then be bent.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:55 PM

Hello everyboy,

unfortunately, in the photos one cannot recognize the course of the GH2 Press. Line so good like that of the GO2 Press. Line, which is why I could not measure the length of the slant up to the lower two bendings directly. Therefore, after putting the Attachment on the ET, I could only mark the distance to the first bending after a painstaking threading of the dummy across the LO2 Feedline and through the opening of the small Support in front of the TPS Cladding, what a stressful fiddling was.

Then I've tried to get made the two bendings with the round tongs in the smallest spaces, especially since their distances are minimal, as can be seen from this image.

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

And that's how the bended Copper dummy looked like,

which one can see here in the provisionally installed state.

But somehow the shape and size of the lower bows did not agree, which were a bit too big,

because, as one can see on this image, the upper bending in front of the slant is much closer to the GO2 Press. Line.

After this first impression, I've immediately took the Steel wire (Ø 0,4 mm) and bent it, but it is much harder and more resistant and therefore more difficult to bend, especially in the lower part of the double bendings, which is why several trials and test fittings were necessary.

At that it turned out that one can perform the lower two bendings only halfway accurate, if one leaves at the lower end first a longer end piece in order to be able to bend at all, and this only then shortens accordingly afterwards.

Threading the line was only possible directly at the Attachment,

whereupon it could be put then onto the ET, in order to try then to insert the lower end into the rear Ice Frost Ramp (R24), but what was not successful instantly, because sometimes either the inclination of the slant or its length was not right, or the distances of the lower two bendings, or all together, what was enough to drive you up the wall ...

Old 11-18-2019, 04:55 PM

Therefore I'll show you the (preliminary) final result after the umpteenth attempt,

which was then satisfactory.

This was followed by (only) still the exercise with the threading of the two Fittings, whereby the action at the lower end still before the threading of the Press. Line under the Crossbeam was comparatively harmless.

But then came the critical place in the circled gap, for what the line in front of the support had to be fixed with a mini-tape strip (arrow) in order not to constantly slip out again. And then I've channeled the Fitting ring, which was hanging at the Toothpick-Tape-holder again, into the gap, and carefully inserted the line with the sharpest tweezers, what then sometime has worked again ...

But even to photograph these details, some pull-ups and appropriate mountings were needed to get close enough into a suitable position with the digicam,

in which the autofocus (with self-timer) could still focus, as one can see here.

All in all, a rather time-consuming business with the scratching of such tiny details, whereby the joy is even all the greater when it has succeeded in the end.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:44 PM

Hello everybody,

after the two ET/Orbiter Assemblies are now finally completed, there is always still a small line missing, and this is the so-called LH2 Recirculation Line (Ø 4''), which can be seen here on the ET-45 (STS-47).

The line looks relatively simple and has a slight kink at both ends,

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DaveS)

Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. II (Lockheed Martin)

in front of each time a Protective Shroud sits.

Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. I (Lockheed Martin)

And so plain and simple looks this part of the Airfix Kit, whereby the two Shrouds are missing, which is not the end of the world.

First, I've tried it again with a Copper dummy (Ø 0,6 mm), and then I've tried to drill out a Rod ( Ø 1,2 mm) for the Shrouds stepwise in the center up to Ø 0,7 mm, which is not that easy with this diameter.

After the temporary installation of the Dummy, which did not cause any problems,

I've then bent an Evergreen rod (Ø 0,7 mm) for the final line.

As already mentioned, drilling out can not be made immediately to the final inner diameter (Ø 0,7 mm), because the drill can slip too easily and does not stay in the center, therefore carefully step by step.

After that, I've cut off small 0,5 mm wide rings and had to find out that the bore had run eccentrically inwards, so unfortunately only the front ring could be used.

That's why I then drilled out only still 1 to 2 millimeters and then cut off the ring so as not to produce too much rejects.

And that's how I actually managed to make three useable rings,

and to thread them onto the rod, whereby the line looks significantly better than the Airfix cripple.

Last edited by spacerunner; 11-24-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:51 PM

But when I kept the result of the test fitting in my sight, I was a little disenchanted, because the line seemed a bit too puny compared to the LH2 Feedline,

what I've remembered differently when seeing all the photos ...

And when I was brooding about it, suddenly it felled from my eyes like scales ...

Out of power of habit of recent weeks in intensive dealing with the GH2/GO2 Press. Lines, whose diameter is 2" (Ø 0,4 mm/1:144) and which are "naked", i.e. have no TPS cladding, the diameter of the LH2 Recirculation Line of 4'' (Ø 0,7 mm), which was used by me as a reference measure, concerns also only the "naked" stainless steel line, but which still has a 1'' TPS cladding (SS-1171/SLA-561), what results in a diameter of 6'' (Ø 1,0 mm/1:144), what I should have taken into account (see right scaling),

which is why I've then used the corrected dimensions.

Source: capcomespace.net
Old 11-24-2019, 04:55 PM

For the new line with the larger diameter (Ø 1,0 mm) I have then punched small discs (Ø 1,5 mm) for the Shrouds with my Punch & Die Set made of Styrene (1,0 mm) ,

which I've then drilled out in nine steps from Ø 0,5 mm to Ø 1,0 mm and chamfered,

and then threaded onto the new bended line that I like much better now.

Then I've drilled out the openings in the Umbilcal Plate as well as in the ET Aft Dome to 1 mm and carefully inserted the line, which now fits much better into the mould,

as one can clearly see here in the comparison of both variants.

Just good thing I've still noticed this lapse and could correct it,

because with it now I can finally finish this Umbilical chapter.

Now only a small detail is missing on the Crossbeam, which still has this cover with the outer slight slants on the top at the front edge, what it also was always good for ...

This last detail I also still want to scratch now, wherewith then the ET/Orbiter Aft Attachment would be complete in my eyes.

Last edited by spacerunner; 11-26-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
As ever wonderful work Manfred. The "sticky" tooth pick tool really does show how incredibly delicate and small the detail of your model is. Your control is amazing. Looking forward to the next installment of the build.

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-26-2019, 09:45 AM

Thanks Kevin for your nice compliment.
I'm happy if you like it, but this ET/Orbiter Attachment with its small Umbilical Assemblies was really one of the trickiest things I've ever scratched.
At first I was skeptical if I would be able to do this crazy miniatures, but nothing is impossible if one really wants it.
So I've got it done, what makes me happy and a little bit proud too.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
You have every right to be proud!