PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-28-2020, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

I've kept thinking and remembered the thin cable insulations which are lying on side for a long time already, here e.g. with Ø 0,7 mm, which would fit exactly.

To do this it would have to be possible to get the thin LED wires (0,1 mm) threaded into this tube, but I think this should be possible for short pieces of 1 - 2 mm length.

In discussion with my friend Arno (McPhönix) we quickly came from insulating tube to shrinking tube, with which I've also experimented a longer time ago, however for cables with slightly larger diameters.

And shrinking tube is also available with smaller diameters, e.g. Ø 2 mm, which shrinks to 1 mm and is also transparent, which would be ideal for the lamp, especially since it would also protect the encased LED at the same time.

Source: led-bestellen.de

And this idea I followed up right away, have Googled, and among other things, I on this, found in my opinion even this better suited, thin-walled, transparent Shrinking tube (1,6:0,8), which would be almost ideal for the Crawler lamps.

And since the tube also has a small range like a lampshade at the transition after shrinking, it should be thought about whether this variant could also generally be considered for the rest lamps of the Launch Pad, with the help of which I could therefore spare the more elaborate solution using ferrules ...

With it I will experiment soon, especially since the shrunk "glass body" with the LED inside could be sealed perfectly at the bottom with a drop of Bondic UV adhesive.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 11-28-2020, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.77 MB
Great shop for everything to do with model lighting

https://evandesigns.com/pages/led-fr...70c32a06&_ss=r

Look in the first FAQ, Z-LEDs are mentioned. You can order them under the section chip LEDs. Select Z as size.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the link.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 155.43 MB
superb work Herr Manfred!! I’m not worthy!!!
Old 11-30-2020, 03:59 PM

Thanks fpr your nice words, Hans Christian, no understatement please!

Old 12-06-2020, 02:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 155.43 MB
legendary is an understatement for your build Herr Manfred!!
Old 12-06-2020, 06:28 PM

Hello everybody on the 2nd evening of Advent,

before I take off my Crawler glasses again, I took care of the dimensions of further components that I don't want to use from the Paper kit, but will scratch from Plastic profiles.

For this purpose I've found a number of NASA drawings in the Yahoo-LUT-Group, from which I could take important dimensions, such as these here with the frame structure (Chassis Structure Lower Level) for the construction of the Underbody (Sheet 4):

Source: savethelut.org (John Cato)

This initially concerns the dimensions of the green marked Wide Flange Beams in the Diagonal Box 3 & 4, which have the following dimensions,

Wide 18'' = 457 mm = 2,9 mm (1:160)
Deep 24'' = 610 mm = 3,8 mm (1:160)

as well as the blue marked profiles with the following dimensions:

Wide 12'' = 305 mm = 1,9 mm (1:160)
Deep 24'' = 610 mm = 3,8 mm (1:160)

Unfortunately, the dimensions of the yellow, light blue and red marked profiles cannot be found in this drawing, which is why I have to search through other drawings, which is a bit tedious.

For the blue marked Beams 40-58 I've found I-Profiles (4,0 x 2,0 mm) from Evergreen, which are very close to the original dimensions.

The red marked outer Longitudinal Box Girders I have now found in the Sectional view (AD-AD, Sheet 34) in this drawing.

Their dimensions are:

Height 2' = 610 mm = 3,8 mm (1:160)
Width 1'-6,25''= 464 mm = 2,9 mm (1:160)

Since there is no such Box profile by Evergreen, I will use a Square profile 3,2 x 4 mm instead.

That's it for today, the remaining profiles I'll still find as well.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:20 AM

Hello everyone after the 4th Advent,

it goes on, and with that I come back to the Crawler drawings (John Cato) to determine the missing dimensions of the profiles that are required for the Scratch-build of the Crawler chassis.

However, these drawings are not understandable straight away, what i.a. is due to the ambiguity of the English technical terms used for the different profiles as Trusses and Pipe Girders, which are by no means self-explanatory.

So one can find terms such as Longitudinal Truss, Lateral Truss, Diagonal Truss and Diagonal Box, and then also still Beams in the legend.

At that I believe that the term Truss not only means Girder per se, but rather the Truss structure which is located between the girders, as still will be seen from the drawings.

Furthermore, it has gradually become clear to me in the meantime that not only the outer Longitudinal girders marked red in my previous reply (#2307) on the lower chassis structure (Lower Level, Sheet 4) are Boxes, but that there are also further Boxes.

In order to be able to recognize this, one has to look at the original drawing more closely,

wherefor one has to choose a higher resolution, what I did in the following excerpt,

and what should be explained in this further enlarged image section based on the different types of lines.

In it one can see center lines in the middle of the Box profile (red) and dashed lines on both edges what indicates welded box girders with a rectangular cross-section, in other words square tubes, the cross-section of which was already shown in the last post in Sheet 34 to determine their dimensions.

The Beam profiles (blue), also known in German writings as Double T-beams (I-beams), have [color= blue]double dashed lines[/color] belonging to the middle Web) of the profiles, which is concealed by the upper [color = blue]Flange[/ color]), for which one can also find the terms Wide Flange Beam or H-Beam in Anglo-American writings.

This image shows once more the overall structure of the lower chassis level (Sheet 4) with all the profiles that are needed for scratch-modeling.

The upper frame structure (Upper Level) can be seen from Sheet 3 in the following picture and has a similar structure consisting of Box and Beam profiles, whereby I don't need to scratch this framework, because the space underneath is needed to accommodate the electrics/electronics of the current supply, what I have already explained.

More important for scratch-building is the associated Side elevation of the frame structure Longitudinal truss with the Pipe Girders at the lower edge of the image, which contains some sectional views that are important for the further construction, which in turn can be found in other drawings.

The View H-H (green) refers to the already discussed lower frame structure Lower Level (Sheet 4). With View J-J (light blue) it is referred to the first of the nine lateral trusses (Lateral Truss No. 1) in Sheet 5, which I will go into later.

Also important for scratch-building are the dimensions of the Pipe Girders, which can be seen from sectional views to which is referred in the following drawing of the Longitudinal Truss No. 1) in Sheet 32.

The marked Section AC-AC (yellow) can be seen in Sheet 34 and shows a cross section of the welded box girders (Boxes) of the Longitudinal Truss No. 1, which even differ slightly.

In this sectional view, the Section BB-BB (dark blue) is marked through the Pipe Girder there, the cross-section of which can be seen on the right edge of the image, from which the diameter of this support tube with 12¾" can be seen, which corresponds to Ø 2,0 mm (1: 160), which for all Pipe Girders of the two Longitudinal Trusses No. 1 & 2 is the same.

The same diameter is also obtained if the height of the Box profile (2'-0) is used as a reference dimension.

With this I'm coming back to the already mentioned Lateral Truss No. 1) in Sheet 5 (View J-J), which can be seen in the following image and shows the structure of the front and rear of the Crawler chassis.

If one uses the height of the Box profile (2'-0) as a reference dimension in this drawing, the diameters of the vertical and slanted support tubes (8,6'') result with Ø 1,4 mm, which are also the same for all Pipe Girders of the trusses in the interior of the crawler, as I have learned from Mischa Klement.

With this I have now determined the essential dimensions of the profiles for my scratch-building of the Crawler chassis, wherewith I can let it go at that for the time being.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:20 AM

And at the end of my crawler analysis, let's have a look at these three historical photos from the start of construction of the Crawler transporter CT-1 for the Apollo program in the mid-1960s, the crawlers of which were modified in the mid-1970s for the Space shuttle program.

Source: NASA

So I can take off my Crawler glasses for the time being and take a breather until Christmas.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:40 PM

Hello friends,
I wish all of you and