PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-21-2023, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.49 GB
ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans

Anyone know of plans for the launch tower for the LTV Scout?
ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-ltv-scout-1.jpg
I made the lovely 1/96 model from the Downloads section here, and since it's so small, it would be fun to display it as if ready to launch, ideally with the version of the tower in these images:
https://www.globalsecurity.org/space...fsc9109951.jpg
https://www.globalsecurity.org/space...fsc9109955.jpg
https://www.globalsecurity.org/space...e/cape022f.jpg
Not looking to build it with every conduit, just the main structure and large pieces.
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2023, 05:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Nice idea! If anyone is up for the task, I do have 4K film footage of the launch tower and the hangar it is in when horizontal. From long shots to close up. Lots of detail. All from 16mm NASA film.
Attached Thumbnails
ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-ans-top-tower.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-ans-business-end.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-ans-rollback.jpg  
Old 07-23-2023, 09:15 PM

Very nice, PK! Also, looking at the second photo, is the necked-down body diameter for the fins (and nozzle inside) just for a special version of the Scout, or were they all like that?
Old 07-23-2023, 11:09 PM

It's a Scout-D-1. As far as I know, this was a further developed version of the Scout (these pictures are material from august 1974), with an upgraded Algol engine for the first stage. This made the Scout a little more powerful and capable of lifting about 130 kilos to a 500 KM polar orbit.
Old 07-24-2023, 01:56 AM

Aha, so a fat first stage motor on the D (through G, apperently), got it!

Also I think I ran across photo of a Scout on a launcher that was even more minimalist, where some of the supports were just straps, maybe. Can't find it now, though it would be interesting to model.

I imagine you've seen, in the Smithsonian's collection there's an Estes scale Scout model rocket as well as a static Scout model with launch tower, a heavy-duty version of the tower. In addition to their real Scout on display, of course!

By the way, someone was working on a 1/11.4 scale Scout D multi-stage flying model rocket.
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynoldsSlumber View Post
Aha, so a fat first stage motor on the D (through G, apperently), got it!

Also I think I ran across photo of a Scout on a launcher that was even more minimalist, where some of the supports were just straps, maybe. Can't find it now, though it would be interesting to model.

I imagine you've seen, in the Smithsonian's collection there's an Estes scale Scout model rocket as well as a static Scout model with launch tower, a heavy-duty version of the tower. In addition to their real Scout on display, of course!

By the way, someone was working on a 1/11.4 scale Scout D multi-stage flying model rocket.

Well, Since I am a Dutchie on a budget, I haven't really had an opportunity to visit the Smithsonian in DC. Wish I could.
My interest in the Scout originates from the fact the first Dutch satellite ANS was launched on a Scout (the pictures I showed were the actual Scout used in the launch) and I have made a documentary film about the satellite and its creators.
I made a 1/96th scale model of the Scout-D, which now resides in the National Dutch Space Museum, alongside a couple of other paper models I made of rockets and diorama's.

I love the smaller launch tower they used on Vandenberg / WTR because of the ingenious construction. The tower is positioned horizontally inside a hangar, the rocket is rolled to the hangar on a trailer, the satellite and 4th stage arrive together on another small truck, get connected to the rocket and the fairing is placed.
Then the entire hangar rolls back, revealing the rocket, now held by clamps and arms by the tower above it, which is raised like a mast and voilą, there it is the launch platform, which already was there all the time.

As a bonus pic, the biggest part of the Dutch crew involved in building the satellite posing in front of the launch pad.
(And here's a link to the trailer for the documentary..)
Attached Thumbnails
ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-1-scout-pacific-coast.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-2-scout-hangar.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-3-payload-4th-stage.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-4-insertion-4th-stage-into-3rd.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-5-payload-top-scout.jpg  

ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-6-fairing.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-7-ans-horizontal.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-9-ans-raised-rt.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-11-launch.jpg   ISO LTV Scout launch tower plans-10-ans-crew.jpg  

Old 07-24-2023, 01:41 PM

Extremely cool, PK! Impressive work on the film—the trailer is really well done.
I live in California and went to see a Delta IV Heavy launch from Vandenberg last year. I can imagine the excitement of the Dutch engineers and techs on launching their satellite back in the day!
Old 07-29-2023, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the kind words! In October I will put a link to the film in its entirety somewhere in a new post here. Of course that too has subtitles in English.
At this moment the movie is still actively promoted at festivals around the world (we have shown it (amongst other countries) in India, Florida and in Australia). After September the promotion round has come to an end and then we can do what we want with the film.
I'd like to give you lot here the chance of seeing it online.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:30 PM

Very nice, PK. Imagine it would also be popular in Italy and Kenya. Looking forward to seeing it!
Old 01-25-2024, 08:31 AM

Found a rough side view diagram of the launch tower, on page 158 of a Vandenberg SLC-5 historical report PDF available at this US Army Corps of Engineers page. The report notes that engineering drawings were never formally released from export control, so they aren't publicly obtainable. Paper Kosmonaut, the document has mention of the ANS launch and includes a diagram of the Scout D.
Funny, on page 211 of this NASA PDF, there's a grainy photo of what looks like an official scale model of the tower with rocket.
Google Adsense

Tags
gantry, launch, ltv scout, tower