PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-08-2017, 05:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,
in the meantime, I have a tough time of it with the rings, because I do not give up so quickly.

Here are some more or less well done rings together with the needle (Ø 0.25 mm), which I can safely forget in order to hold the rings when gluing.

On the macros, these midgets still look quite grippy, therefore here for the relativization a shot from normal sitting position. And therefore the handling is only possible with the headset-magnifying glass, of course.

And also the solution with the Pattafix tip on the toothpick is not the yellow of the egg, because sometimes tiny remnants of Pattafix stick to the ring, which can be removed only badly, without the ring thereby perhaps tear off again.
Therefore using a toothpick with a tip made of a masking tape is much more suitable for this purpose, with which the ring can be gently taken up, in order to be able to deposit it over the CA droplet on the outlet arc, where it should then glue.

And this technique has then worked well with the following ring, as one can see here.

And so it went on with the two rings at the outlets on the inside of the ring line (right circles) behind the LOX-TSM,

Source: NASA

which can be seen here.

And strengthened by this partial success, I now also want to equip the outlets on the ring line behind the LH2-TSM with these rings.

Well, and then I've experimented with the hooks for the lateral Water Bags.

Source: NASA

To do this, I have initially put simple plugs of lead wire (Ø 0,3 mm) in pre-drilled holes on a dummy.

And these are two hooks, to the left of my thinnest rods (Ø 0,3 mm) and right of brass wire (Ø 0,3 mm),

which are still too high with 1 mm and have to shrink to half.
Since I'm not enthusiastic about the result, I have to outbrake myself now and will cancel these hook tests. In addition, the fragile outlets could break off during pre-drilling, what I would not risk at all.

With these details, I am moving in the border area of what is doable with reasonable effort, because they are so tiny that one can hardly recognize them, which is why the effort is not worthwhile.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 03-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Hello friends of the rings,
although this fiddling is getting slowly but surely on my nerves too, I must still pull through the four rings at the outlets of the other ring line, earlier I give no rest.

But that was once again a hard patience test, especially since the handling while gluing these tiny rings even with my cool tape tweezers was really stressful, because it didn't release the rings occasionally at the crucial moment.

But then the two rings on the outside of the ring line were finally done.

But even taking photographs of this bulky pipe skeleton is not a simple matter, and it is also quite time-consuming, if one wants to represent the details sharp, because it depends on a favorable perspective as well as the light conditions.

And since for good macros one has to approach as close as possible, one must be careful, in order not to bump with the Digicam somewhere and even to damage.

And so to the outlets on the inside of the ring line,

here something more from the proximity.

Now, both ring lines are finally finished and could be painted.

Of the rings one can hardly see anything from this perspective, but they are completed, wherewith this chapter is finally finished.

So far for today.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Hi, Manfred, congratulation for finishing this difficult and branched chapter!

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 03-11-2017, 07:51 AM

Thanks Michael for your congratulation.

Yeah, this SSWS pipe labyrinth was a very hard nut, but now I'm glad I have cracked it.

BTW, the friends in our German Raumcon Forum called me the Lord of the Rings, but I feel more like the Lord of the Eye Rings ...

Old 03-13-2017, 01:11 PM

Hello everybody,

after all the clamping rings have been installed now, the question now arises about the further procedure with regard to painting (airbrush) of the ring lines, about which I have been tinkering for a while.
I am not quite sure whether I should glue the supports before painting (possibly with MEK?), or whether I paint all the supports and the ring lines first separately and then glue the supports ...

Here is once more an elder picture with all the supports, but still without clamping rings.

With the clamping rings, the interspaces there will inevitably become even narrower.

To glue the supports previously and then completely paint the whole skeleton with all the supports would certainly be the less expensive method. However, I have doubts whether one reaches with the Airbrush jet into the small interstices between the sickle holders and clamping rings, or whether they could possibly clogged, which of course should not happen.

For this I have here a macro image of the place conditions between the ring line and the supports, whereby the distances between the sickle holders are about 1.5 mm, between which the clamping rings (0.5 mm) sit, whereby one should not be deceived by the real proportion.

Otherwise, I would have to airbrush the supports separately, possibly only from above, and the ring line with the clamping rings at least at the bottom, then gluing the supports and airbrushing once more all together ...
All in all a pretty tricky decision to a guaranteed stressful procedure, that I must meet now, which is why I am curious what you mean, or what you would advise me.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:58 AM

Hello everybody,

in the meantime I had thought over, that it would certainly be difficult to remove the paint on these fragile sickle holders, especially since the contact points should be clean for a good adhesive bond. And that would mean that the fragile sickle holders would have to be sanded gently, which would presumably not happen without any breakages.
But I've already considered whether I should not paint the spaces between the sickle holders with a fine brush by hand ...

I have not painted anything with Airbrush for a long time, which is why I'm simply unsure whether such horizontal surfaces below the ring line would get enough paint. Furthermore the paint application has to be well dosed, which is why several thin layers are advisable and too much paint at one go should be avoided.

Because I would bite myself somewhere else if I would spoil my painstakingly scratched details by an unclean varnishing ...

Old 03-15-2017, 07:01 AM

Hello everybody,

and because we have dealt with breakages, of which I had to complain already some at the ring line outlets, without damage the last action with the clamping rings unfortunately had not ended.

On closer inspection, I have noticed unfortunately that the small nipples on the outer two 6'' outlets behind the TSMs after the felt 100.000 twists and turns when clamping the ring lines must have been broken, which I had not noticed so far.

That's why for a change cosmetic operations were announced today, because something like that bothers me, even though it would hardly be noticed by somebody else's.

These OPs are, however, rather delicate, since the outlets are only thin round bars (Ø 1 mm), into which still thinner rods (0.3 mm) have been glued as nipples. That is why I have first carefully sanded off the remaining stumps and then still more cautiously drilled small holes with Ø 0,3 mm, but for which I first had to think on a clever clamping condition of the ring line for a stable support.

Seek and you shall find, and here the nipple rod is already glued again with a little overhang, which now only needs to be shortened accordingly, what but also does not so easily go out of cupped hands.

For the cutting off the supernatant then a different support had to be found and to be newly clamped again,

so that the rod also has a stable support and can not break off.

But that worked out well,

as one can see here.

And the same OP then synonymous still at the other ring line, as before.

And so the damages have been remedied again.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:49 PM

Hello everybody,

in the last few days I have finally brought myself to start with the gluing of the Pipe Supports under the ring line behind the LOX-TSM, for which the already announced removal of the rear SRB supports was necessary.

Since I can carry out the gluing of the supports only step by step, in order to be able to check their seat, I have to remove the ring line now and then, and because I did not want to risk anything, I have removed the disruptive rear SRB Supports.

For gluing of the pipe supports, the ring line was then introduced again and its exact seat fixed with the spacers. After that, I tried as a first variant the gluing with MEK and have initially positioned and aligned only three supports under the ring line, as well as dabbed the contact points of the sickle holders on the outer side carefully with a fine brush with MEK, which should be sufficient for a first hold.

And as one can see in this picture, that was actually already sufficient.

Since in the bracket-holder I can reach now the remaining contact places of the sickle holders from all sides, I can now also glue them completely.
And so it can then gradually go on with the next supports.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:17 AM

Hi all together,

for the gluing of the next Pipe Supports I used again my approved bracket-holder in the mini vise, which is best suited for this.

With this I have much more freedom of movement for the assembly and can adjust the position of the ring line so that the already attached three Supports lay flat on the support block and I can push the next supports below the line by slightly raising and arbitrarily align.

Then I also modified the gluing technique, whereby I carefully dab the normal Revell plastic glue onto the sickle holders with a acupuncture needle, then push the support under the raised ring line and then lower it. This allows for even smaller position corrections until the support sits in the right place. After that, the ring line is still weighted down, so that it can be fixed firmly on the spot.

Then I can then take the mini vice with clamped ring line in the hand and stabilize the sickle holders also still from inside and outside with MEK, which should give them the final hold.

And this technique I have here exercised with the two Supports behind the corner bow, which also worked great.

And in the same way it went on down the straight line.

And now they hang in rank and file and look .

Then came the three flatter supports sitting on the Blast Shield, which I have glued with inserted ring line.

And finally, I have glued the small support under the 16'' rejuvenation behind the LOX-TSM, which has only one sickle holder.

So I want to let it go for today.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:00 PM

Hello everybody,

today I want only present a few pictures about the gluing of the six Pipe Supports on the inside of the ring line behind the LOX-TSM, which took place in the same way.

And tomorrow it will go on with the gluing of the first six triangular supports (left) at the outlets of this ring line,

which hopefully will work similarly well.