PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-24-2017, 11:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Rather not!

Source: NASA
But if so, then there would probably be a fault signal, I think.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 05-26-2017, 01:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
I am impressed!!!
Old 05-27-2017, 04:29 AM

Hi Marcell,
yep, the sight of these many cables instills already great respect.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:47 PM

Hello everybody,

here comes at last the next update.

But in the implementation of the latest ideas and details, new questions emerged, which I had yet to pursue, in order to clarify their structure.

Therefore, in sequence, and thus first to the Interface Panels at the end of the Side 2, which looked as in this image using the template from the Paper Kit.

And now these are the panels taken from the MLP-1 (Street View) and scaled, which look a little clearer,

and also at the MLP look quite well, at any rate better than the previous blurred paper Kit panels.

And so to the next details in Bay 17, the red indicated ports for the ECS Purge lines, which I wanted to scratch by simple round bars with red caps.

However, on closer inspection, it can be seen clearly that these ports consist of through-sleeves, in which are the connecting sockets of the purge lines, at which the red ventilation hoses of the MPPU are linked.

Source: NASA (Street View)

After some consideration, I remembered the wire end ferrules already used for the lampshades. And these are not only available as pure metal sleeves, but also with plastic sleeves, which can be easier cut off to the required lengths than the metal sleeves.

And as a result of my usual scaling,

I have come to the following sleeve types, whose diameters would fit perfectly, into which then the matching connecting sleeves made of round bars are glued and red caps are painted.

Later, it goes on with the reconstruction work on the Side 4.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:48 AM

Hello everybody,

since in the laying of the two thin pipes on the Side 2 inevitably the "roof"gutters come into play,

Source: apollosaturn.com (John Duncan)

I have made a couple of new attempts in the meantime to get some bending feeling again, because unfortunately there is nothing off the shelf.

For my first attempts at the very beginning of the project, I got an aluminum tube Ø 2 mm and filed down carefully the upper half with a fine mill file, which basically works, but which was quite elaborate and laborious.

Therefore, from today's point of view, I would rather want to return to the already tested variant of moulding a sheet metal strip over a round bar.

For the back Gutter 3 over the Bay 18 I need a 23 mm long piece, after it follows an elongated substructure, on which two sockets with connection stubs sit, whose purpose of use I have not yet been able to find out however. But no matter, maybe I still can discover it. And as it looks like, the two thin pipes seem to be attached to these sockets when I see this right.

This is indeed a picture of the MLP-1,

but on the MLP-2 this part looked similar, as one can see on this image detail, only the two sockets sit more in the middle.

Source: apollosaturn.com (John Duncan)

On this panorama one can see the details more clearly.

This time I've used thin aluminum sheet (0,2 mm) for the gutters, cut out a strip of 23 mm x 3 mm and molded it over a round rod Ø 1,5 mm, but the strip can also kink axially, instead of curving itself evenly, which should be better prevented.

Here one can see the filed down pipe (above) and below it the molded gutter piece, which one can do more precisely than by filing.

In order to prevent this axial kinking, I will lay the strip on a rubber pad on the next attempt and then press down the round bar from above, perhaps it will work better. However, how good this can be done with the longer strips, we will see then.

Afterwards, I started with the face lifting of the Side 4, on which there are also some pipes and cables, which I would like to scratch. And since they lie above the vertical struts, then the 2D textures and shadows on the wall template disturb the picture, which would certainly look comical, especially since the 3rd dimension is missing anyway.

So I have started to cover the Bays on this side with matching parts, which was quite tedious because one had to measure all the fields and covers before, so that they fit into the fields.

Then came the Bay 16 with the four Vent Mufflers, where I first removed the two lower mufflers. But since the shadows there just look too brutal,

I then also removed the two upper Mufflers to be able to cover this bay completely new. And the front and rear MLP-2 identities have meanwhile also been renewed and were placed in the right bays.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:50 AM

Afterwards, the two vent mufflers were glued again, which now looks much better and corresponds to the original.

In order to have more freedom of movement, I've put my turntable on a stand to have easy access from all sides, which makes the work much easier.

Now only a few fields have to be renovated, which will be done tomorrow.

As far as for today, and thank you for watching.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Awesome work and workplace, mate!
Old 05-30-2017, 04:35 PM

Thanks Marcell for your compliments.

BTW, workplace, but almost a misfortune had happened with my nice long tall stand.

When I quickly got up from my revolving chair to fetch something from the closet behind me, the chair was rolling sideways without me noticing. When I came back, I saw that he was standing with the backrest about 1 cm in front of the MLP's Side 1, my hair stood on end and it gave me a chill, and I thanked my guardian angels.
Only 1 cm closer and the worst case desaster would have happened, there would have been to hear an ugly sound behind me, and my lovely MLP would have been smashed to pieces on the floor, what a nightmare ...

Hopefully I will not dream of it tonight.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.04 MB
Looking at your work standing on that thing I also had a strange sensation... something like a sense of imminent danger... big fear... I hope you don't have a big dog or a little child walking around there...
Old 06-01-2017, 04:48 PM

As I said, the disaster almost would have been happened through my levity.

Now it stands on the desk again and is relatively safe.