PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
LUT 1/96 Command Module service arm - free download

Dear all,

another huge milestone of my LUT project is cleared. The command module service arm or swing arm #9 is one of the most complicated substructures of the LUT, and namely the White Room caused a lot of investigations for references and drawings, not to forget all those fortune teller consultancies.

And here we go. The comparison with the real thing looks promising. However, once the design was finished, I got an uneasy feeling about the construction. Is this thing buildable, anyway? So it was time for another test build. Also, the building instructions started to turn out overwhelming, something had to be done here either.

It was just by luck that I came across a nice piece of software right at that time. Basically, it converts your 3D-model into a 3D-PDF-file, simply viewable with Acrobat Reader. You can zoom, pan and rotate the model, isolate parts or group of parts, and capture scenes from different build stages. Unbelievable.

And this is how the model looks like. The display stands are models from the ones that were used during the construction of the real swing arm.

The accordion, seen from the top. Initially planned to be fully working, I cancelled this idea. Once finished, you don't even want to touch any part of the model again; squeezing it is already beyond any event horizon.

The backyard. Some of you might recall that the exposed floor plate was protected by a cover. That's right, but that was after Apollo 11.

The insertion of the bracer cable looks a bit odd without the cable itself. I however wanted to test if it is possible to model stable chains. It is. But the build is not really entertaining.

The big fail. The outer wall of the body case slipped over the roundings, so that they are embossed instead of inset. One of the many parts I had to update after the test build.

The stabilizer. I did a test fitting with the Revell Saturn; while the connector fits perfect to the Apollo capsule, the stabilizer does not slip past the tower rods of the LES (at least without applying too much force). It turned out that Revell made them a little bit too thick. I've added parts that should fit for the Revell Saturn just in case.

Now, because the new type of assembly instructions is a fundamental decision, I would love to hear your opinion about it. I for myself am convinced this is the way to go - it's fast to create (the building instructions for the Crawler Transporter took about a half year to design), no production costs, and easy to update. For the builder no more guesswork how those damned parts are ment to be folded and fit together.

So for those who are interested and want to see how the oncoming LUT kit and its instructions will look like, the 1/96 Command Module Service Arm paper model kit is availabe as free download - please look here for the PDFs

enjoy
Cyana
Google Adsense
Old 10-06-2013, 10:32 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB

Or, holy cr...p,or something like that
Old 10-06-2013, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Wow! That's simply amazing!!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
What Billy said.

That 3D pdf viewer is something to see. I did not realize that was available. It really helps show the very good model you have made available.
Pepakura who?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Here words just fail. Unbelievable beautiful piece of engineering and/or art and in itself already a very challenging build. Amazing. Just amazing.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hi Misha,

you have reached a fantastic level of incredible 3D designer performance and sensational paper architecture.

This is another tidbit of MicroArtwork, keep up this brilliant LUT success story!

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 10-06-2013, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Holy Moley! What a beautiful bit of design, execution and building craftsmanship!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 PM

just incredible model making skills.

thank you for sharing your design.

E
Old 10-06-2013, 08:31 PM

wow this is something so complex i am afraid of it...

i assume this will be a paid model as your others. will it be available as a digital download? i would be scared to purchase this as a printed kit. i would absolutely need to be able to print replacement pieces as i totally butcher them...
Old 10-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.42 MB
CYANA,

It will be a challenge to try building this part of the LUT kit. I plan on trying to print this out this week. The new method of instructions are to die for! I love that the reference photos are very detailed and show the construction at very different angles so visualizing what things should look like is a breeze.

The LUT kit is going to be even more amazing than the crawler kit!

Tags
apollo, lut, saturn v