PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-14-2013, 07:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
A couple of modest entries....

Well, I'm a bit shy about sticking these photos up, what with other folks building hyper-detailed launch complexes, MLPs, Crawler-Transporters, Apollo Command Modules et al, but here they are. They are the first things I've sat down to build in quite a awhile. So be gentle.

First up is Jparenti's repaint of Ton's DC-XA in NASA markings, rescaled to 1/96th, on a scratch-built launch stand. The model is pretty much stock, except I cut out and opened the body flaps. And of course if you're going to open the body flaps, you have to build the wells underneath, which I did. And, naturally, you really can't see them. But I know they're there....

From the photos I was able to find online, it appears the launch stand is a pretty rough affair. So I had to scratchbuild something that looked rough.

Second up is my take on Orion, again in 1/96th scale, based on an aritst's rendering done right after it was announced that Orion's Service Module would come from the ESA's ATV. Namely, they were going to use the ATV's Propulsion Module and solar arrays. It appears that whomever did the rendering (which I've attached) basically Photoshopped the ATV's PM and Avionics Module onto the bottom of Orion, and then stuck a big engine bell on the bottom. That is the only rendering I've seen like that (all the rest omit the AM) but I thought it looked cool so I built it.

I used Ton's CM and Alfonso's ATV for the basic parts.

I had also seen some conjectural drawings that rendered the CM in silver, ala the Apollo CM (Orion is just "Apollo on steroids," after all...) and I thought that looked different so I modeled it, printing Ton's CM out on silver paper. I printed Alfonso's ATV out on various white textured papers to get the feel of the insulation blankets that cover the actual ATV. It struck me afterwards that I need to add some sort of high-gain antenna.

Also, there are things about the design that just don't work. Whomever did the rendering left the ATV's solar arrays and RCS thrusters where they were, which works fine on the ATV because the array panels unfold from the top of their recesses (midway up the side of the PM, out of the way of the RCS quads, which are at the bottom of the PM., while all the Orion drawings I've seen show the three-panel arrays unfolding from the bottom.

For comparison, I've also attached a photo of the "new" Orion next to my build of the "old" version.

Like I said, these are the first models I've sat down to build in quite awhile. Winter is coming (which lasts five months in Minnesota) so maybe I'll figure out something else to build....
Attached Thumbnails
A couple of modest entries....-dcx1.jpg   A couple of modest entries....-dcx2.jpg   A couple of modest entries....-dcx3.jpg   A couple of modest entries....-orionart.jpg   A couple of modest entries....-orion1.jpg  

A couple of modest entries....-orion2.jpg   A couple of modest entries....-orion3.jpg   A couple of modest entries....-orion4.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Gorgeous builds.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Wow David, Great to see you back to making models again. And the result is far from bad! The DCX has come out really great, nicely detailed. I really would like to see some pictures of the launch stand itself. I did a DCX myself a couple of days ago but I don't find mine fit enough to post here. Got to redo it once more, I guess. The Orion remake looks terrific. I really like the silver capsule look, and of course your usage of different types of paper. I now do that too, at least I try.
Again, great to see new stuff from you. Looking forward to new projects!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Those are great! nothing to be embarrased about at all tahnks somuch for sharing them
Chris
Old 10-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Waaaaaay too modest, David. Your craftsmanship is as sharp as ever! FWIW, it was your models that inspired me to add details to mine.

I hope my skill will match yours someday.

Les (THe Voice of Authority -- THE - Home)
Google Adsense
Old 10-14-2013, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
It's really good work, looks like original!

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 10-14-2013, 09:17 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I do believe you under estimate your abilities! Well done.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
You're all way too kind. During my building lull (I did write and record an album over the spring and summer, so I was busy...) you chaps kept me inspired.

I should add that I did add a few gizmos to the DC-XA; I think they are air-data probes or something of that nature. I also recolored the black strakes on the nose. Ton modeled them with an upper portion that is white, which I believe was correct for the original rollout scheme, but by the time they had slapped NASA markings on it (which were removed before launch) the black strakes were entirely black.

Speaking of the album, I've got a Kickstarter program going, so if you want to check it out, head over to There Are No Secrets In This Town by David Hanners — Kickstarter and do so. Not that I'm soliciting presales or anything. The record is recorded and mastered, and we're raising funds for the production and distribution.

But back to modeling.... I've got a couple of irons in the fire, so to speak, and I'm just trying to figure out which one to tackle next.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.42 MB
Those are very cool!!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Very nicely done!
Google Adsense