PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.41 MB
Yogi's X-37B in 1/24 scale

For the 3 other guys that are nerdy as me...Here goes...

Using Yogi's X-37 as inspiration, I built a flying X-40 a few years ago. It flew quite well and was tons of fun to build. Its complete story can be seen here with photos, plans, and some video of it flying.

X-37 and X-40 | Spacecraft Replicas

I was surfing around a few days ago and found a post where Yogi said he updated his graphics and uploaded the model to Ecardmodels a year ago. I had bought the original release and was excited to see he had updated it. Ecardmodels reminded me I still had 3 downloads left so I downloaded the latest version. Yogi's latest X-37B is awesome! I would have gladly paid the $4 again for it. Ecardmodels is the best!

My original 1/48 version had been kicking around my shop for the last few years and one day it ended up sitting near one of the little flying shuttles I probably have 1000 flights on. I realized a slightly larger X-37 in card stock would be similar to the shuttle and probably weigh about the same. Hey! Maybe I could make one fly!

Its almost ready. I wanted to fly it before posting but I just couldn't wait anymore Maybe I'll fly it this weekend. I need to add the rear cover, a bottom to cover the access holes, and finish radio set-up. Here are a few photos. Of course I'll post a flying report when it comes. The first photo is the 1/10 scale X-40, 1/24 scale X-37B in the new graphics, and the 1/48 original without the tile detail. Second photo is with a well worn shuttle. The color throws off the shapes but the planform is nearly identical. The shuttle flies at 1.65 oz and the X-37 is 2.0 oz. Since the X-37 has a tail and is not a pure delta, the wing loading should be nearly the same. The X-40 is made from Depron foam and weighs 8 oz.

I scaled up Yogi's model 200%. He did a great job on the detail and it really comes out in the larger scale. Its truly a beautiful model.

Thank you Grand Master Yogi!
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Yogi's X-37B in 1/24 scale-img_3104.jpg   Yogi's X-37B in 1/24 scale-img_3109.jpg   Yogi's X-37B in 1/24 scale-img_3113.jpg   Yogi's X-37B in 1/24 scale-img_3108.jpg   Yogi's X-37B in 1/24 scale-img_3038.jpg  

Yogi's X-37B in 1/24 scale-img_3090.jpg  

Last edited by mercsim; 11-08-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-08-2013, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Oh, wow, I wasn't expecting radio-control. Very nice
Old 11-08-2013, 06:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Hi Scott,

that's a very interesting project I'll follow closely!

If you had some minutes, could you describe a bit more how you added the RC components to the model and what you used? I got my first RC aircraft this summer and would be very interested in experimenting with a model as you present here. You could drop me a PM if you feel it would not fit into your thread, too...

Good luck with the maiden flight!

Thorsten
Old 11-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Now that is an awesome (and unexpected) mod - well done! Once you get it all sorted out the next challenge would be to mount it on top of a big Estes rocket and go for orbit ...
Yogi
Old 11-11-2013, 10:53 AM

Thorsten,
I didn't get to fly it yet but I will soon. I'll post a full build and flight report either on my website or the RCGroups forum. I'll post a link here when I do. I recognize this is a card forum and I have moved beyond that. However, I wanted to share the build and recognize the great model it is.

For now...I wanted to use the AS3X brick from the popular Ultra Micro R/C models distributed through Horizon. I'm a big R/C flyer and these little models with the new 3-Axis gyros built in are pretty neat. I don't need the gyros as I'm more of an advanced flyer but they make the models look incredibly stable and are fun to play with. All the shuttles I fly are sensitive in roll because of the short wingspan. I always thought a gyro here would make them look better.

This model only uses 2-axis (pitch and roll) but I think I'm going to modify it or make another one and tilt the receiver board 45 degrees to control the V-tail for yaw also.

I hope this was a good primer answer. I'll give you more after I fly it and do a more technical write-up in the appropriate forums.

Scott
Google Adsense
Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Scott,

thanks a lot! It surely gave a bit of insight.
This is so amazing! I hope that with your reports, I'll be able to do something similar one day!

Really inspiring!

Thorsten
Old 11-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Eternal Member

Great info and update. I'd say you're well within the site's interest area with this - card or foam sheet is pretty much the same construction so we can learn a lot from (and enjoy seeing) what you're doing. You can see the same dynamic in evolving paper rockets into stomp or Estes powered fliers.
Yogi
Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Great info and update. I'd say you're well within the site's interest area with this - card or foam sheet is pretty much the same construction so we can learn a lot from (and enjoy seeing) what you're doing. You can see the same dynamic in evolving paper rockets into stomp or Estes powered fliers.
Yogi
+1 What Yogi says!

I've done a few RC models, working on a big project re-design right now. I've posted a few of these projects here and at the Z.

Lots of interest in RC models here. There have been several other modelers who have converted different designs to RC.

Go ahead and post your build/flight sytems, helps those of us who are still learning RC systems, Please!

Thanks for sharing this project with us!

Mike
Old 11-18-2013, 10:17 PM

It flies! I didn't get any flight pics yet but I will. It took some hard licks to get the CG and throws right but I'm getting there. I was able to work out the geometry to get the 3-axis gyros to all work. It flies with the gyros off but is much more stable with them on. I need to tweak the roll gain and the throws, then I'll build another with build photos. I'll post the complete build on my website.

You can see how I moved the receiver board to a 45 angle. The X-37 was launched from the little 747 that usually launches the shuttle pictured earlier. I got about 6 good flights on it.

I resurrected my 10 year old White Knight. I put new motors and fans on it and test flew it today. It flew great! The X-37 is almost the exact right scale to go under it. I think I need to build an X-37A to hang under there!

Yogi, did you ever work on the graphics for the ALT version or 'A' model?
Attached Thumbnails
Yogi's X-37B in 1/24 scale-img_3144.jpg   Yogi's X-37B in 1/24 scale-img_3143.jpg   Yogi's X-37B in 1/24 scale-img_3177.jpg   Yogi's X-37B in 1/24 scale-img_3188.jpg   Yogi's X-37B in 1/24 scale-img_3182.jpg  

Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Eternal Member

OK - I'm all out of appropriate adjectives for your little fleet!

Haven't done an X-37A set of graphics. Looks like a few DARPA/NASA patches and probably remove most of the various servicing stencils and USAF designations. Feel free to modify the one you have (if you have the software to edit pdf), just don't redistribute.

Yogi
Google Adsense