PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
As you know I just completed the Gemini IV at a smaller scale, and i can confirm all your observations. But what kind of solutions you applied to correct them, what detailed explanations and how quickly did you completed this complex model!

Your are the master!

Compliments, Nando

PS: Your mastery inspired me with your Gemini Recovery diorama and I'm still thinking to imitate your model now that I could be able to design the flotation collar

Fat Man & Little Boy available here

Last edited by nando; 11-20-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
You're too kind, Nando. Gee whiz -- that Gemini recovery model was nine years ago. Or, in other terms, one divorce, a move, another move, a re-marriage, another move and a home purchase ago. It is also three computers ago. I should take another stab at that, but yeah, if you wanted to design a flotation collar, that would save us all a lot of work.

And all you guys here are inspirational. There is really a lot great work being done in our corner of the hobby.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
... if you wanted to design a flotation collar, that would save us all a lot of work.
You tempt me ....

Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
For Nando and others: To wet your appetite, here are two examples from SIM 2 Gemini. Hope that this helps. Looking at it now, I need to update several details. The netting underneath had a piece and connections that I need to add to my drawings. The capsule did deform the float a bit when applied, so this may throw off some of the dimensions. This booklet really helps in building - I'm currently adding new material to it as I build my Gemini.

@dhanners I'm still using my Win 98 system for applications that will not run on the newer os.
Attached Thumbnails
Gemini 8-sim2-pg27.jpg   Gemini 8-sim2-backpiece.jpg  
Old 11-21-2013, 10:26 AM

I need to break down and buy Mike's SIM Gemini book. It appears to have a lot of great detail in it. I see now where I can just order it and download it....

And I should note that after I took those photos of the Gemini Recovery model, I went back and added some structural detail to the nose that I had left out the first time around (stumbled across some better-detailed photos) and added some lanyards to the collar. I can't find any photos of the work, though, and I sold the model years ago.
Google Adsense
Old 11-21-2013, 02:29 PM

I sent the money for the SIM 2 downloadable publication and I'm waiting for the link.
In the mean time I used the schematics of the collar to redraw the 3D model.

Apart some small dimensional discrepancy, you can see that not only the capsule did deform the collar when applied, but also the inflation changes the shape of a cilinder, making it a little bit round. The same at the corners where i think there were also more segments.

Overing over the capsule, you can see that my first elaboration fits better with the collar's silouette, also because i modeled it following the contours of the picture.

It's not easy to reproduce the shape of inflated things, that sustain an heavy load in a wavy sea.

Waiting for more information.
Best, Nando
Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 PM

That's some good work there....
Old 11-21-2013, 07:27 PM

I just read that Gemini 8 (or VIII, I've seen both) carried the Maneuvering Unit packed in the back. Does that mean it also had those big handholds in back? If anyone knows (or has reference help) I'll add it/them to the model.

These things are never finished....
Old 11-21-2013, 08:31 PM

A quick look on the Tubes of the Internets tells me I don't have to scratch build a maneuvering unit as it was covered until use by that circular thingie that is in the middle of the rear. It would appear I still have to build the handhold thingies, though. Unless anyone knows any different....
Old 11-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
Should have put the link in my previous message. To order SIM Books/pdfs/copies go to this link: New SIM Order Form .
Google Adsense