PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-28-2013, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Mark, thank you for confirming my own hangups on the interstage sections! The bracing is just a beautiful piece of work, so I've decided to do something probably wasn't a good idea, but I refuse to abandon it, to punch out every hole in the entire interstage bracing, well over 1000 holes. But first I have to find a punch that is the right size - 3 attempts, 2 months, then find a punch that size that doesn't blunt, doesn't shatter, stays up to scratch for the entirity of the job. Nightmare!
Old 12-28-2013, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
KieferRhys, Try these things, not specifically these because they are too cheap but the more rugged ones. They serve me very well for years now.
Use the smallest of the set, and for easier use, take an old port cork (with a plastic cap on top). Drill a hole in the cork and put the back end of the punch inside so you have a bigger surface to push with. (like this - these are actually mine

Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 AM

Thanks for that, I'm going to have to hunt for something better than I have previously bought, this side of the pond. One of the failures I had was a similar punch that decided to shatter out 135* of its circumference, so I obviously paid too little for the tool required.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 AM

Kiefer could you use a dremel with an angled bit? Then you can control the hole size by how far down you push your bit in? I used this technique on an aircraft .50cal cooling jacket (something like 75-100 holes)
Old 12-29-2013, 09:56 AM

Hello KR, I've been down this road, actually one of the first models I built getting into this hobby.PK was a big help and helping me with this model was our introduction. The one I built actually has parts from four different designers. Once you get past Greelt's first stage and inter stage there is another designer that carried on into the second stage with Greelts design style..

Apollo / Saturn V
Scale 1:48
Designed by Frederic Bouchar
Stage 2 Trust structure
Print on 220 – 240 grams paper

I built his second stage which fits very well and has the detail, When you get into Tons you'll have to make several adjustments for every thing to work. Here's the link to my build thread and pics of the finished product posted on J. Leslies site. OK never mind, I guess I didn't do a build thread here, I think the build thread was done on Zealot, I must have built it before I came over to this forum. But here is a thread I posted here on it..

1/48 Sat V four differnt designers

This is the completed build, click on the SAT-V pointing into the sky..

The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop - Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous/Other

Do a search on F. Boucher for the PDF files, if nothing turns up contact me and I email them to you. Good luck, can't wait to watch the build.

Mark
Old 12-29-2013, 12:04 PM

The bracing on the interstage. The holes can be a problem is an understatement. One solution is of course the use of a hole punch. Another would be to make a die from flat tool steel with lexan (polycarbonete) top plate. Drill and ream through both pieces and use a drill blank for the punch. The punch needs to have a flat end with no chamfer on the working end. If one was to do a cutaway of the 1st & 2nd Stages it might be a good idea to make a special die that would have all of the holes for each frame and stringer section. Then using three punches you would then punch one hole at each end and leave the punches in the die so as to locate the frame/stringer. Then punch the rest of the holes with a third punch. Sometimes its not a bad idea to make friends with a home shop machinist or in Kiefer's case model engineer. Also parts like this can really benefit from using a stiffening agent such as airplane dope (nitrocellulouse) cut with thinner or polyurethane. The distances between holes and the edges are on the order of 1mm iirc. In the real world it is amazing how just a few simple bends or rolled edges can stiffen a flat sheet of steel or aluminum/ium. The actual parts on the Saturn's I suspect have the edges formed so that they would look like 25% of the cross section of a torus. The above method clearly demonstrates just how "inexpensive" card modeling can be
Old 12-29-2013, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.29 MB
That looks very good Mark! After all my thinking I might do what you did and use Tons parts for the final bit. I'll use his 1/96 since everything looks much neater and scale them up. I'm thinking of adding in some more detail to the parts so it gels with Frederic's and Greelts. It will take me a while, but ill keep all you guys posted on the progress.

-Mitch
Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 AM

A big thanks for all the advice for my problem. I have the punch now, and the nitrocellulose dope sounds like an excellent plan. As for opening up the stages for the internal structure, I don't think I'll be going that far. I Have Fred's stage 2 files. Given the holidays, I'm rather busy at the moment, but the new year should see the stack growing nicely.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
As for the opening of the hull to show the tanks like I am planning:
The ring-shaped structures inside the tanks were not perforated. They were there as baffles to prevent the fuel from sloshing around and getting the rocket off course. So no holes in that. The intertank and interstages had perforated rings.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.87 GB
Are there any instructions for fred's sII
Google Adsense

Tags
1/48, greelt, saturn v, ton