PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-08-2018, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 163.17 MB
Fortezza 1:100 space shuttle, help!!

Hi everyone,
This is the first post on this forum so let me introduce myself, I'm 17 years old and have been building paper models for about 6 years now. If you have seen the electron up on AXM's site, that was me who designed it.

Now I've started to probably one of the hardest things besides the ISS, The 1:100 shuttle from Fortezza, but while constructing the wings I noticed the tiles at the bottom wasn't printed correctly. I threw the wings away and tried printing the wings and bottom again but the same thing happened. I did some googling and found that it was because of the quality of the templates where different. I also found a thread on this forum that addressed this issue and someone posted a link to a realistic tile pattern he designed but that link doesn't work anymore since it was posted in 2014.

Is there another way to work around this problem or do I just need to accept the fact that the tiles on the bottom are not correct?
Google Adsense
Old 04-08-2018, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Welcome to the forum and, yeah, the Fortezza shuttle is a challenge and a half, but can be built into a fine replica.

It's been ages since I built mine (I did Atlantis, resized to 1/96th) but as I recall.... The problem is the big center piece with HRSI tiles that runs along the bottom has the tiles running all in one direction when, in reality, the pattern reverses at the vehicle centerline. The right side is a mirror of the left side.

I recall having access to a printer that was able to print reverse images. I think I printed out two versions of the bottom -- one normal and one reversed. I cut each down the centerline, then joined the "normal" half on the left with the reversed half on the right. The piece you wind up with should be the same size as the original bottom piece. I seem to recall having to do the same with the HRSI sides of the elevons, but I could be wrong. Same deal with the beaver-tail flap. All it's tiles run in one direction on the model, and that's not correct. They reverse at the centerline.

If someone were computer-savvy (I'm not) there is no doubt some way to do this electronically. I did it old-school.

I wish my thread was still available somewhere. I faced a number of challenges with the model, and tried explaining them as best I could.

Here are some photos of my build, but they probably raise more questions than answers:
Attached Thumbnails
Fortezza 1:100 space shuttle, help!!-img_6433.jpg   Fortezza 1:100 space shuttle, help!!-img_6434.jpg   Fortezza 1:100 space shuttle, help!!-img_6435.jpg   Fortezza 1:100 space shuttle, help!!-img_6436.jpg  
Old 04-08-2018, 01:14 PM

I've noticed it too but that is not the biggest problem. As you can see in the photos the lines do not even print or only partly, the only part that is correct is the right wing. the rest have uneven spaces in-between the tiles.
Attached Thumbnails
Fortezza 1:100 space shuttle, help!!-img_20180408_210145375.jpg   Fortezza 1:100 space shuttle, help!!-img_20180408_210305431.jpg   Fortezza 1:100 space shuttle, help!!-img_20180408_210321021.jpg  
Old 04-08-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperArconaut View Post
I've noticed it too but that is not the biggest problem. As you can see in the photos the lines do not even print or only partly, the only part that is correct is the right wing. the rest have uneven spaces in-between the tiles.
I wouldn't obsess over it. From a visual standpoint, the Orbiters were notoriously random in their appearance. Visually, there were differences in the appearance of the gaps between tiles, and they could seem random. The white between the tiles should be toned down a bit and weathered anyway. I recall using gray chalk dust, which I fixed on with a matte finishing spray. Unless you're modeling a newly built Orbiter, they all carried a fair amount of weathering, even after extensive refits. Only newly applied HRSI tiles were black; the rest were some shade of gray, from dark to light.

Also, once the whole thing is done, the eye won't really notice all the different "gaps." Not sure what the artistic/psychological term for it is, but the small things like that won't stick out because of the effect of the whole.

I hope that makes some sort of sense....
Old 04-08-2018, 01:55 PM

Okay, thanks, I will get working on it like it is and once it's done I'm going to stick another bottom under it. Thanks for the advice, it really helped. I'm wondering though, where did you get the shuttle stack from?
Google Adsense
Old 04-08-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperArconaut View Post
Okay, thanks, I will get working on it like it is and once it's done I'm going to stick another bottom under it. Thanks for the advice, it really helped. I'm wondering though, where did you get the shuttle stack from?
I scratchbuilt the stack. Used model rocket tubes as the basis for both the RSRMs and the ET -- I found ones that were the perfect diameters for both -- but it was all scratchbuilt. I do wish that build thread still existed....
Old 04-11-2018, 12:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
Hi PaperAcronaut. I'm sorry that it took me this long to reply. I was in the middle of building Fortezza's model to go with a model of the ASTRO-2 UV observatory that I was building. Then I read your post and Dhanner's reply and my heart sank. Sure enough, the tile pattern needs work. I thought I could do what Dhanner suggested on my computer but it turned out to be more complicated. Basically, I had to erase all of the tiles down the center line and on the sides (the part of the wing in front of the landing gear), and redraw them to match drawings that I found on line. I also had to make other adjustments along the left edge because part 4-1 was not symmetrical (left to right). I plan to repaint the wings (part 6-1 and 7-2) and all of the other parts with a tile pattern including the nose (part 1-1). For starters, here is part 4-1. I will post another reply with the other parts as I get them done. Keep in mind that it took 2 days just to get the tile pattern on part 4-1 to go in the right direction, so it may take a week or two before I get all of the other parts repainted. Also, I didn't bother to get the pattern of darker new tiles correct. On my printer, all of the tiles look alike because the colors are too similar. But if other people are interested, I will try to get the new/old tile pattern correct and post a revision.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf belly part4-1 1-100scale.pdf (3.31 MB, 111 views)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
Hi guys,
My two cents. You can try scaling up my Shuttle belly file. It shows all the tiles. I don’t think it will be a perfect match, but maybe this could be an option. I know I promised releasing my 1:100 scale Shuttle, but in the mean time you can modify the 1:144 file.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
Thank you Alfonso (AXM61). I will give it a try. Meanwhile, would you want to add the STS-67 Astro-2 UV observatory to your website, AXM Paper Space Scale Models.com - Space Shuttles, ISS and more paper rockets, when I complete the ISP, pallet, igloo, EDO, and GAS canister? It will fill in a gap in the long list of space shuttle missions. I'll offer it for free to anyone who wants it. I have already repainted the cargo bay attach points and cable to match photos of STS-67. What I am still struggling with is the EDO. Were the gas cylinders covered with a thermal blanket or exposed? All of the photos that I have seen show the gas spheres exposed but I don't know if the pictures were taken before the blankets were installed. Thanks again, Henry Yuen
Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
Hi Henry,

The gas spheres from the EDO kit were covered for flight. I can send you my Shuttle payload with the EDO kit so you can complete your project. Send me your email via PM.
And yes, I’d like to see your design when completed so I can added to my Shuttle Page.
Google Adsense

Tags
1:100 space shuttle