PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-21-2014, 05:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fructose1 View Post
Looks great so far. I like the stands. Looking forward to more.
Thanks! Yes those stands... That size and shape should seem pretty familiar
I had a domino effect (more than once) when arranging a few rockets on my shelf, and I got to thinking I could avoid a recurrence with heavier wooden bases. About 3 inches worth of a 3/16 dowel through the center (or 1/2 toothpick in the case of the Minotaur), and these are now pretty sturdy. And the hexagonal shape makes it easy to arrange them.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 AM

Well, it's been completed for a while. With some free time (not much) I'd had a chance to put the Direct Project up for a photo op.
In 1:144, with the LES, she's approx 22 1/2 inches tall. And pretty solid looking, particularly when paired up with her Augustine competitor. I might do the cargo version later.
In the meantime I'm finishing up Leo Cherkashyn's Tsyklon-3. It'll join the 1:96 mafia on the shelf soon. Then it'll be time to tackle the AXM shuttle stack!
Attached Thumbnails
Phantom's fledgling rocket park (WIP)-2014-12-15-09.21.57.jpg   Phantom's fledgling rocket park (WIP)-2014-12-15-09.22.29.jpg  
Old 12-15-2014, 03:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.35 MB
Looks great! I built that Ares-IX once and flew it without fins and it was surprisingly very stable.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:25 PM

sheesh it's been a long time since I've built anything. Or at least posted anything I've built.

So here we go...

This is the Soyuz that is available from Alphonzo. It was my first Soyuz build and at first it looked a little daunting. But the instructions are very good, it just takes patience. I've got a Progress about 1/3 done that will join this soon enough.

Attached Thumbnails
Phantom's fledgling rocket park (WIP)-axm-soyuz.jpg  
Old 01-21-2017, 03:50 PM

Also from Alphonso's site. The Ariane V (wip). This has been more difficult than it should have been. I used too heavy a weight of stock and some of the pieces need a bit of trimming to fit. If I had it to do over I'd maybe use cover stock?
Anyway, the pieces so far:
The upper cryo-stage - I was impressed by the fit-and-finish, even with my screw-ups this went together very well. It is a very nice fit with the core stage
Attached Thumbnails
Phantom's fledgling rocket park (WIP)-ariane-esc-.jpg   Phantom's fledgling rocket park (WIP)-ariane-esc-assy.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Here we have the SYLDA setting atop the cryogenic stage assembly. I had to trim the cylinder "body" od the SYLDA quite a bit for the lower skirt to fit without deforming it. It worked out, so it's all good. The pieces labled ESC-A-1 and -2 needed to be cut very carefully in order to fit inside the interstage. It's a good tight fit, just a bit more than a slip fit. This won't come out unless I press the engine section from the lower side.
SYLDA sets right on (need some payloads).
Attached Thumbnails
Phantom's fledgling rocket park (WIP)-ariane-sylda.jpg  
Old 01-21-2017, 04:00 PM

And the pieces so far.

I'll build the ATV as well, probably mount it on a stand by itself for display. I'll also make a go at the Hermes as well. But not with cardstock! Have to find a lighter weight first.
Attached Thumbnails
Phantom's fledgling rocket park (WIP)-ariane-wip.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 07:03 AM

One booster assembled. Pretty easy, the only trick is the slot. The instructions note to only cut half the blue stripe, certainly good advice. I started where the blue and gold met and cut halfway to the edges. Once the glue dried I cut the remainder out (careful at the connector).

I also didn't cut the entire width of the blue stripe. This allows some amount of "grab" as the booster is slip fit onto the core. No pictures of that yet, I'll wait until I get the other booster built.
Attached Thumbnails
Phantom's fledgling rocket park (WIP)-ariane-booster.jpg  
Old 01-25-2017, 07:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
I've used cover stock and while it is more flexible I found that I had a hard time getting it to hold the glue. I stick with 65lb card these days.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:51 AM

Went and got a pack of 65lb stock this morning.

Here's the stack so far. Cryogenic core stage is finished, both boosters attached. Fairing is in work. I've got to get up the nerve to attempt the Hermes.
Attached Thumbnails
Phantom's fledgling rocket park (WIP)-ariane-wip-part-2.jpg  
Google Adsense