PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-25-2014, 03:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
I'll take a stab at answering No. 2 above, but keep in mind this is one person's view, is offered as a constructive comment and can be disregarded without offense to me.

On the one hand, your F-1 builds look great and your plumbing looks convincing. Let's face it; even in 1/48th scale, it'll be hard to replicate everything. But your F-1s look busy and give the impression they are crammed with detail. Modeling is often about the impression you leave. You've left a GREAT impression.

On the other hand.... I love a well-built F-1 as much as the next guy, but in real life, the F-1s that flew had all that plumbing and other stuff covered by foil insulation. Uncovered F-1s make a great display -- and I fault nobody for doing it that way -- but if the modeler is doing a Saturn V that flew, uncovered F-1s aren't accurate. In a way, it pains me to see a modeler go to great lengths to make a model as accurate as possible, then omit the foil-batt insulation.

Some photos: Space Modeling and http://major-clanger.dreamwidth.org/21282.html

Again, none of this is meant as a criticism of you or your wonderful work so far. It is a very impressive model and you have obviously worked very hard on it, with stellar results.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
dhanners, a constructive critique such as yours is exactly what I was looking for. thank you, and you are right of course.
I decided on the bare engines instead of the insulating blankets and hard covers because....well quite frankly I don't think I have the skill to scratch build convincing ones. And I guess less is more sometimes.(but I really wanted the curving fuel duct.)
That was well thought out and well delivered. And I appreciate your taking the time to write it, it is quite helpful to me to consider these things in my next builds! (too late to go back this time)
This is no one Apollo mission, just a representation of the Saturn V so don't be too alarmed when you see eight instead of four ullage rockets.(I think they look so cool I can't resist even though I know it is wrong)
Yep!.. a real Frankensaturn. I like that word....I can't stop using it!!
Thanks Paper Kosmonaut, now I can not get it out of my head. Hah!

Humbly
Rocky
Old 09-25-2014, 08:33 AM

Location: I live in Johanensburg South Africa, the real Gangsters Paradise!
Total Downloaded: 40.11 MB
The windows are flush at the front, just the angle of the photo makes it look otherwise!
Old 09-25-2014, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
Wow! Legal, that Apollo/CSM looks fantastic!
You say it's a test build? Looks amazing, I hope to add it into the build queue once available.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:49 AM

Thanks PhantomCruiser, needed to make a few tweeks to get the whole thing to fit together, stage three is next on the test build roster!

For some reason the updated design is still unapproved but I am sure it will load shortly!
Old 09-26-2014, 09:11 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Can you send me the link to the updated file?

i don't have time to go dig for it

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-27-2014, 01:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sorry for the stupid question about the windows legal01. I could have just opened the file and saw....duhh. I swear I don't know what I am doing sometimes.

Got the first stage finished. and the interstage ring. (my fingers are still sore.)
I am just calling it a "Saturn V" now that it's been pointed out to me that calling it an "Apollo"' is not strictly appropriate since I am making a "generic" rocket. (damn know-it-all nephew....I deserved that I suppose... Lol.)
Some more pics:

~
Attached Thumbnails
I,m baack......a new start on an old Apollo-10.jpg   I,m baack......a new start on an old Apollo-20.jpg   I,m baack......a new start on an old Apollo-30.jpg   I,m baack......a new start on an old Apollo-40.jpg   I,m baack......a new start on an old Apollo-50.jpg  

Old 09-27-2014, 01:20 AM

Nice job so far!
Old 09-27-2014, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Rocky,

You are hilarious.

That Interstage is a work of art on its own. I really love that model. Great job.

Thank you for the progress pics.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.80 MB
This looks fabulous! I'll be watching this build for sure.