PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-15-2014, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.40 MB
The Zen of Paper Modeling

Mldixon
Ken L West
Billy-Leliveld
mk310149
uhu02

The Zen of Paper Modeling:

My path down the Paper modeling trail began earlier this year. I had been reviewing countless documentaries on the US manned space missions of the 60's and 70's.
I have always felt that the Lunar program, and all that came before, demonstrate the best of American innovation and "can do" attitude.

I remember, that as teen in the 70's, I had seen ads for the Estes Saturn V and the Revell Saturn V. I researched for a few months and found that the prices were very high, sometimes $300-$1,000 per model. There were many reviews on these kits, and the list of complaints all left you with the feeling that the models were inaccurate and or flawed, including the Dragon models.

I shifted my attention to the Lunar Module and found uhu02's LEM, quite possibly via an mk310149 build. I kept digging and found Ken L West's 1/12 scale Apollo module on Billy-Leliveld's Pinterest page. It was then that I found papermodelers.com and began the long task of following every blog entry on Ken L West's development and subsequent Billy-Leliveld build. Great stuff!

I've included 2 links to a couple of movies that seem to encompass the Paper Modeler's skillset and mindset. Both are PBS documentaries:

The first 'Between The Folds' a look at Origami it's masters and groundbreaking new techniques and styles. They can also be found on Netflix,PBS and Youtube.

'Between The Folds'

Depicts a cast of fine artists and eccentric scientists (from MIT and NASA) who have devoted their lives to the unlikely medium of modern origami. Through their determination to reinterpret the world in paper, they arouse a fascinating mix of sensibilities towards art, form, expressiveness, creativity and meaning.

Jiro Dreams Of Sushi

A documentary on 85-year-old sushi master Jiro Ono, his renowned Tokyo restaurant, and his relationship with his son and eventual heir, Yoshikazu.
Sent from my iPhone
Google Adsense
Old 10-17-2014, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for the Links! I'll check them out.

I've been really busy lately, but the holidays are coming soon, and there will be time to get back into the paper craft.

From the beginning of the 1/12 Apollo CM project, one of my stated goals was to create a model that would draw the attention from die-hard plastic modelers, and get them to at least consider paper, and also to draw others who have an interest in the subject. Your post here is evidence that the concept has been successful. I am glad you joined in with us. There are many space followers on the thread; many have extensive knowledge of the space program and its hardware. You list some of them in your message. Some of them have experimented with different ideas for the heatshield; even before the model's release. Subsequent builds around the world have employed various techniques and materials that have enhanced the realism of the subject beyond my expectations.

Welcome to the forum!

Ken
Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.81 MB
Hi,

antoher great stuff is ISS from AXM
Old 11-02-2014, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.40 MB
Zen of Modeling: First Project

Thanks for responding to my Zen Modeling post! Ken, I can't say enough times how fascinated I am with your work. I've shown pictures of your Apollo Capsule to several pilots who are now completely in awe of paper modeling. I'm trying to get started on at least the X-15.

The way I'm approaching this, is to walk into Fed Ex, give them a usb drive with the X-15 on it and say please print this on xx card stock. I'm thinking that this will give adequate results or, should I invest in a better printer for the home and do it myself? I'm pretty good with photoshop.

Marcellino thanks for the ISS lead. That seems like it could be a very difficult model to tackle at first. There is one ISS model at the HOU hobby airport. I assumed that it was plastic, but I'll take a close look next time I'm there.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2014, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
bdismont737;
I have had no experience with Fed Ex printing, but I do know that many commercial copy printers use laser printers, which render beautiful printing, but are hampered by the fact that laser toner does not actually permeate the paper stock. The toner sits on top of the surface and can crack or even chip when bent or folded. If your local printer offers inkjet printing it would be better, I think.
Ken's X-15 is a beautiful model, and I look forward to your build.
Google Adsense
Old 11-24-2014, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.34 GB
Hello all... This post is coming from a former plastic and other medium modeler as I have switched over to the paper modeling exclusively. I have a comprehensive collection of built up models which are being delegated to the display case as I am replacing them with card models for my lectures and such. I am disabled now and the paper models are much easier to handle, less expensive and do not require the elaborate workshop and materials I previously used. Plastic kits have become way too expensive and so contributed to my move to paper. Thanks to all the designers who have created such masterpieces in their kits.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellino4 View Post
Hi,

antoher great stuff is ISS from AXM
Totally agree with Alfonso Moreno (AXM), and would also like to recognize Leo Cherkashin (Leo09), two masters of paper spacecraft whose work I admire. Both are members here. My office is getting full of their spacecraft.

Here's Leo's site:
Space flight paper modelling

And Alfonso's site:
Welcome to AXM Paper Space Scale Models
Old 11-27-2014, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
I would have to add some additional names of paper spacecraft designers, also members here:

Ton Noteboom: Who has brought us many fine kits, including Apollo & Saturn vehicles. His Saturn V was the reason I got into paper modeling.

John Jogerst: John has given us a huge range of space vehicles of all types. Without his tireless work, we would have only a handful.

Mark Cable: Designer of many fine, detailed & accurate rocket kits. Many of his kits are the only examples of their type in paper.

There are many others, of course, but these 3 have contributed a large body of fine work to this community.

All are responsible for me not getting a lot of other things done .

Tags
billy-leliveld, ken l west, mk310149, mldixon, uhu02