PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 419.23 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlyuen View Post
Hello Konstatine, Merzo, Retired_for_now, Lee Anne, and Michael

could not find Carl Hewlitt? (surfduke)’s model on the internet.
I think I know where you could find it! I happen to have grabbed it, back in the day. It's a 5MB PDF. Where would you like it sent?

Lee Anne
Old 12-23-2014, 07:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
Hi Lee Anne,

Thank you for looking. Michael just sent me a copy and you are right about the size being 5 mb. I'm going to compare the Gemini hatches and see if my guesswork is close enough or in need of a revision.

Meanwhile, the Earth Resource Experiment Package (EREP) was designed in 3D and unfolded with Sketchup. John Jogerst’s MDA part 8 was repainted with Adobe Illustrator to (a) accommodate the new EREP parts and to (b) show the “suntan” that Skylab acquired from exposure to the elements in space.

There is a blue shadow line on the Airlock part 7 in the attached pdf but I can’t see it in the original Abobe Illustrator file. I don’t know what to say except to cut along the gray line and ignore the blue line.

To be continued with the ATM next time. Thank you everyone, Henry
Attached Thumbnails
Skylab-sketchup-erep.jpg   Skylab-mda-top-view-solar-radio-burst-monitor.jpg   Skylab-mda-erep.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf airlock MDA EREP 1-87 scale parts.pdf (182.6 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by hjlyuen; 12-23-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: wrong photo
Old 12-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 750.92 MB
Go ahead, simply wonderful subject!!!
Old 12-24-2014, 12:48 PM

Henry, your PDF has a number of parts overlying other parts. 'Just thought you might want to know.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:43 AM

Hi Lee Anne,

Thank you for telling me about the corrupted pdf file. I don’t know how it happened because it looked fine in Adobe Illustrator. Before saving the Adobe Illustrator file as a new pdf, I took the opportunity to label the valley folds in the Airlock Module. The new pdf (rev 2) is attached to this post. I could not find the "edit" button to replaced the pdf in the old post with the new one.

To achieve a 3-D look, I found it easier to glue the panels and Control Momentum Gyros on to the ATM octagon while it was still unfolded. Notice that one of the panels is layered 2 deep and another is layered 3 deep. After the ATM octagon has been folded, then glue the curved ATM canister on the inside. The film retrieval door then goes on the inside of the ATM canister while the panel goes on the outside (see attached NASA photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Skylab-atm-raised-panels-cmg.jpg   Skylab-atm-film-retrieval-door.jpg   Skylab-atm-canister.jpg   Skylab-atm-eva-hatch.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf papermodelers airlock MDA EREP 1-87 scale parts rev2.pdf (59.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: pdf papermodelers ATM octogon 1-87 scale parts.pdf (83.6 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by hjlyuen; 12-25-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: wrong information
Google Adsense
Old 12-26-2014, 10:00 AM

It's looking real nice, Henry!
Old 12-26-2014, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.35 MB
Nice job! Do you think at the end you will put all of the parts in one document, just out of curiosity?
Old 12-28-2014, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 624.43 MB
Wow! This is like a Christmas gift to me! I have been working on a 1:100 Skylab from the 1:144 John Jogerst provided. The extra information, parts and detail are really making this fun. (I have stumbled trying the Wayback Machine route.) Thanks so much to everyone involved!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:11 AM

Hello Konstantine. Yes, I’ll find a way to upload a single zip file with all the individual pdfs. My version of Adobe Illustrator will only let me save as pdf one page at a time. Besides, there is a 200 kb size limit on pdf files. The attached pdf alone is 193 kb.

I wanted to model the ATM aperture covers as in the enclosed NASA photo, complete with tan lines. Just in case I was not able to cut all those small parts, I printed the aperture covers, turn handles, and grab irons on the ATM which does double duty as marking where to glue the parts. In the end I was able to cut out all those small parts, and on the second try, even the 2 turn handles (not shown in the attached photo). Please note the following. Glue the top and bottom of the sun shield back to back with the ladder cut out and the opening for the acquisition sun sensor lined up. The over hang will act as glue tabs. One of the aperture covers (for the X-ray spectroscope) overlaps the sun shield. To achieve that effect, the face of the ATM (the round part with the aperture covers) is built up from 3 layers of card stock. For the small parts in the film tree stowage, it was easier for me to work in layers, that is, don’t cut out the middle layer until the top layer was been glued onto it.

To be continued with the ATM sun shield truss.
Attached Thumbnails
Skylab-atm_top-view.jpg   Skylab-solar-shield.jpg   Skylab-film-tree-stowage-step-1.jpg   Skylab-film-tree-storage-step-2.jpg   Skylab-atm-aperture-covers.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf ATM aperture covers sun shield 1-87 scale parts.pdf (193.6 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by hjlyuen; 12-30-2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: forgot to attach pdf
Old 12-31-2014, 01:59 PM

Henry, I have AI CS on my personal laptop, and AI CS6 at work. I also have Acrobat, so can append multiple PDFs into a single file. If I can help, please let me know!
Google Adsense