PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-13-2015, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Very nice work, milw,

Great precision. By the way, I received my Edu-Craft Diversions/ David Maier's 1:32 scale LM in the mail today - it is stunningly beautiful!

Bengt
Old 01-13-2015, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.84 MB
Some issues on forward cabin skin

This is the first real issue I've had so far with the Edu-Craft model. Apparently I wasn't careful enough in forming or trimming the sub-structure before applying the inner skin around the cylindrical section. I tried test fitting before-hand, and it seemed to fit ok, but once I started gluing, the errors multiplied and so I had to slice the skin at several spots to make it fit. Here's some images of the rough spots, mostly not too bad and since this will be covered by the outer thermal coat, I'm not too worried at this time.

Picture 1, on the bottom of the skin, the instructions say to slice, fold and glue two angled parts, which form the bottom of the chine, before installation. I did that, but must have gotten the angle wrong, so I ended up re-slicing the lap joint. Consequently, there's a small gap one side, but only about 1 mm.

Picture 2, the vehicle right side, the opening for the RCS pod didn't line up with the space on the forward face substructure. I can trim and repatch the skin, so this shouldn't be too much of a biggie.

Picture 3, when I got to the top, (having started from the bottom), the distance between the eyebrows was too great for the skin, so I had to slice and allow a gap. Mostly this will be covered, but again I seem to have lost a mm or so.

Picture 4, the vehicle left side, this actually lined up really nicely. If I had to do it again, I'd test fit more carefully and trim down the substructure so there wouldnt be the need for the gaps.
Attached Thumbnails
WIP Edu-Craft Apollo LM1:32 and Uhu's LM 1:48-forward-cabin-bottom.jpg   WIP Edu-Craft Apollo LM1:32 and Uhu's LM 1:48-forward-cabin-right.jpg   WIP Edu-Craft Apollo LM1:32 and Uhu's LM 1:48-forward-cabin-top.jpg   WIP Edu-Craft Apollo LM1:32 and Uhu's LM 1:48-forward-cabin-left.jpg  
Old 01-14-2015, 08:44 AM

Hi milw,

It looks really good to me. Re. the fit, did you check the recommended card thickness in the model instructions (the card templates)? I see that you are using brown 'corrugated' card (we call it 'well' card over here). Do you think it might be just a tiny bit too thick?

However, it looks very good overall, and thanks for the fine, instructive photos!

All the best,
Bengt
Old 01-14-2015, 02:00 PM

I was quite careful for card thickness, part thickness, and overall front-to-back dimension. I think it was mainly the circumference that was just a bit too large, maybe made worse by the flaps of the front and rear skins that fold over the edge. Can't wait to get home and do some more!
-Scott
Old 01-14-2015, 07:56 PM

Patch for the big opening under the right RCS: luckily I have the second copy, and could scan a small piece and print a patch on my inkjet. For the inner subskin, I'm calling it good!

Patch applied:
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2015, 10:52 PM

Lights

I've been working on the foreward cabin and installing LEDs for cabin and external marker lights. These are tiny white SMD LEDs with hair-fine wires, that fit the ceiling flood locations quite well.

First test- this was while fitting the internal cabin skin.

And this is during install of instruments- the cool white really lights up the hilighter pen on the instrument panel!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:25 PM

EduCraft LM 1/32 with LEDs

Wow, milw!

That is a beautiful installment of the tiny LED lights, very effective indeed. And realistic also. Do the LEDs come in different colors, for example green (fluorescent tubes) or warm white (Tungsten bulb lighting)?

Thanks for sharing! Great!

Bengt in Stockholm
Old 01-31-2015, 05:26 PM

Complete Saturn V Model in 1/48 Scale

Hi again, milw!

Here's a tip;
A great new complete model of the Saturn V launcher and the Apollo C/SM in glorious 1:48 scale has been made available, just a week ago at Jon Leslie's site, with the contribution of many talented designers, Ton Noteboom and Greelt A. Peterusma, both from the Netherlands, to name but a few, compiled by Jean-Paul P:
The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop - Photo Gallery - Apollo Spacecraft
- at the very bottom of the page.

I had it downloaded just now, for a future dream project, involving the new EduCraft 1:32 scale LM. YES! That means upscaling the entire super-detailed Saturn V model to 1:32! (or scanning and downscaling the EduCraft LM, which is not so appealing in comparison)...

Bengt in Stockholm
Old 01-31-2015, 05:32 PM

UHU02 1:48 Scale Lunar Module

milw,

It goes without saying, that the detailed 1:48 Aquarius Lunar Module from UHU02 would fit right in, with no alterations to scale whatsoever...

You might want to consider LM legs that can fold inwards/retract?

Bengt
Old 01-31-2015, 06:06 PM

Complete Saturn V 1:48 Scale Model

Here they all are,

the individual parts of the complete and super-detailed Saturn V 1:48 scale model (except perhaps the LM) - photo from Jon Leslie's site:

Bengt
Google Adsense