PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-31-2015, 08:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Fredén View Post
Wow, milw!

That is a beautiful installment of the tiny LED lights, very effective indeed. And realistic also. Do the LEDs come in different colors, for example green (fluorescent tubes) or warm white (Tungsten bulb lighting)?

Thanks for sharing! Great!

Bengt in Stockholm
hi Bengt, yes you can get warm vs cool white, unfortunately I only got the cool white in this size (along with yellow, red and green). There are some larger ones with 2mm diameter output (the base of the LED is rectangular, 2 x 5 mm or so) that I'm using for the exterior marker lights. I tried the warm white, but on the front, the color seems too close to the yellow LED so I used cool white there also. I also made a strobe circuit tonight (LED and 555 timers make a strobe • Hackaday Projects) using a 556 dual timer chip, since the main beacon on the front is supposed to flash at 1 Hz.

I still have to read your other posts- the 1:48 Saturn V sounds awesome!
cheers- Scott
Old 01-31-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Fredén View Post
Here they all are,

the individual parts of the complete and super-detailed Saturn V 1:48 scale model (except perhaps the LM) - photo from Jon Leslie's site:

Bengt
Must Download NOW!!
Unfortunately I think my UHU LM came out a bit larger that 1:48, it is definitely larger than the Revell 1:48 plastic kit... and the Metal Earth LM as well!

Last edited by milw; 01-31-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Cool LEDs

Cheers, Scott,

I can definitely see why you want to have the smallest LEDs possible inside the 1:32 scale LM! I looks so good, and the cool light is really cool!.

It's mindblowing to learn that you may also controll the pulsing of the exterior lights! That must look awesome on the finished model...

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread for the news of the new complete 1:48 scale Saturn V model kit from Jon Leslie's site. I guess I immediately saw the nifty connection to the very nice new 1:48 and 1:32 scale LM models and simply got carried away...

Take care,
Bengt in Stockholm
Old 02-01-2015, 11:56 AM

No problem Bengt! Mind blowing is the progress in computing since the 1960s- check out this Wiki article on the Apollo guidance computer! Apollo Guidance Computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In contrast, this is the Arduino micro board that I'm thinking of using to control the lights- probably have to mount in the descent stage. Or (as currently wired) just direct power to the LED sets with simple on/off switches. The 556 timer circuit is working nicely now that I have the resistor values worked out; the circuit is a bit simpler than what I linked to a few posts back, so if anyone is interested, I can post a schematic that doesn't require adjustments or fancy zener diodes.

And a short video of the strobe (sorry, I forgot to remove useless audio track!)

Last edited by rickstef; 02-02-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Sorry, this is a private video and not running!

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Google Adsense
Old 02-02-2015, 11:36 AM

Apollo's Guidance Computer

Thanks for the link, Scott!

It was really interesting to read about the Apollo guidance computer! Very complex for it's time, no doubt, and derivates of it are apparently still in use for example in the B-52 bomber. I also read about the further developed guidance sytems of the Space Shuttles - also very informative and highly interesting.

All these complex systems combined makes you wonder how often it actually did function without major glitches. But the first descent to the Moon's surface, with two major master alarms sounding, must have been rather nerve-wracking for Neil and Buzz back in -69. Something that was obviously attributed to a signal overload from the tracking antennae, but that could be over-ridden.

Great progress on the LM, by the way! Really cool with the two front lights. Thanks for sharing!

Bengt in Stockholm
Old 02-02-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerunner View Post
Sorry, this is a private video and not running!

Drat, I'll change the permissions!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:00 AM

I just saw it!

Great little video, with the pulsing light. Very effective.

Bengt
Old 02-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
The pulsing light is really neat. looks wonderful.