PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Rosetta Comet Probe

So, as promised. The Rosetta probe and Philae lander at 1:40 scale. Rosetta is a basic box with very long solar arrays - with some detailing parts included though it's certainly not as impressive as Michael's build. Feel free to add greebles as desired.

Rosetta Comet Probe-rosetta01.jpg
Rosetta Comet Probe-rosetta02.jpg Rosetta Comet Probe-rosetta03.jpg

The little Philae has folded legs for docking with Rosetta - and an optional set of unfolded. I'd recommend building the CNES model of Philae for the deployed configuration.

I also included a more complex bus for Rosetta that better models the Philae hangar area and instruments on that side.

Rosetta Comet Probe-p1050029.jpg

Uploaded shortly to the Real Space, Unmanned section of the downloads for your comments.

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 01-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Yogi, that is great. Does the model come with that base? I'll be looking forward to collecting this model. Thank you very much for sharing. wc
Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Eternal Member

Any body finished one yet? Comments or corrections?
Yogi
Old 01-21-2015, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Yogi, am I missing something or is the only difference in the alternate bus the provision for the back panel? Other than an orientation adjustment for that allowance, I'm not seeing any other physical difference. But maybe it's just too early.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:50 PM
Eternal Member

You're correct. The alternate bus has the upper section recessed to better model the Philae garage area and the OSIRIS camera/VIRTIS instrument. The rest remains pretty simple so go ahead and modify/add detail as you like.
Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2015, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.20 GB
I just came across this:
Strange Comet Discoveries Revealed by Rosetta Spacecraft
Old 01-29-2015, 12:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
Hi Yogi,

Thank you for sharing your scale model of Rosetta and Philae. I really enjoyed the detail parts and the alternate bus detail. I have only 2 suggestions.

On the bus itself, there is a dotted line around the cut out area. I suggest deleting because the dotted line remain in sight unlike the dotted lines under Philae which get hidden when the folded legs are glued on.

May I suggest painting the "cut out" on the back panel dark like the rest of the panel with a very light gray outline indicating the "cut out" area (for folk that want to remove and reattach Philae) or optional glue area for Philae. That would give folks a third option of modeling Rosetta without Philae, in which case I think the recessed back panel is flat (without an additional indent for Philae) according to the attached image.

Both suggestions are minor and doesn't affect the overall quality of your beautiful scale model. I like your model and thank you for sharing it.

Henry Yuen
Attached Thumbnails
Rosetta Comet Probe-rosetta-front-view6.jpg  
Old 01-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Henry. Good comments. I didn't think about hiding the dotted line - at the time I was probably more concerned with making it clear what to do with the cutout and tabs. I'd say color over them but I used a black dashed line so ... my bad.
If you want to show the orbiter with Philae detached my original thought was that you would just leave the hole to show the lander recess - but that just opens up the box. Better would be to fabricate a shallow box to fill the space and color it black (a bit of work to customize your model). If you just leave the cutout area of the panel in place, you could paint it black or cover with another piece of black paper/card. Still a bit more work - or a bit of fun?
Yogi