PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-17-2015, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Spacex video release

A graphic display of comeing closer than any one else ever has!
See SpaceX's Rocket Landing Crash Up Close with These Photos & Video
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2015, 08:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
that'll buff right out. new coat of paint, good as new.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
PM's next diorama idea....
Old 01-18-2015, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
The media portrayed this as a failure. I look at is as about 98% success with something revolutionary. Atlas is a reliable workhorse now, but had large numbers of failures early in its program. To get this close to a soft landing on an early test flight is, to me, a remarkable achievement.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
I meant "PK," not "PM"....

And yeah, I saw an article or two that focused on the hard landing, but I think most press that put the mission in proper context got it right. The primary mission was launching a resupply capsule to the ISS, which was successful, and that was duly reported. Crashing rockets make for good headlines, though, so some less-responsible media outlets went with that.

The spectacular finale aside, the mere fact SpaceX was able to fly the first stage back to the barge is pretty darn impressive.
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2015, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Its quite amazing when you take it all in context. Most folks I know cant get to a particular destination without a pilot or a GPS unit or YEARS of experiance? I dispatch emergency services for a city. Nasa recently bragged about landing Orion within miles of their intended splashdown point. These folks hit the edge of a football field sized barge 200 miles of the coast from over 100 miles away...intentionally! Now, seeing that the military does this everyday as needed with missles, I assume either based on GPS, some other form of satellite transmission, or line of sight laser and has been since at least the first gulf war in 91, this tech should be readily available today to nasa, boeing, ULA or even the Russians! So why not till now and by a commercial entity?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
Its quite amazing when you take it all in context. Most folks I know cant get to a particular destination without a pilot or a GPS unit or YEARS of experiance? I dispatch emergency services for a city. Nasa recently bragged about landing Orion within miles of their intended splashdown point. These folks hit the edge of a football field sized barge 200 miles of the coast from over 100 miles away...intentionally! Now, seeing that the military does this everyday as needed with missles, I assume either based on GPS, some other form of satellite transmission, or line of sight laser and has been since at least the first gulf war in 91, this tech should be readily available today to nasa, boeing, ULA or even the Russians! So why not till now and by a commercial entity?
All a matter of motivation, politics, and what money is going where and to whom for what... (government pork spending).

Later! OL JR