PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-05-2015, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by umtutsut View Post

That's my launchpad.

You can find it also here in the downloadsection.

Ariane 5 Launch Pad

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 02-06-2015, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
And an amazing launch pad it is. So you see, sometimes models are closer to home than one thinks.
I have a little update, too.
After I found some small design flaws in my model I sat doen and rethought it all. The first thing that really bothered me was the seam. I realised it could have been hidden behind the white electrical duct all the time and now it was full in sight and it was just not right. Then I got really specific and counted the rows of insulation tiles. There were more on the model. Ooookaaaaayyy...
And then I also saw that I didn't aligned the fuel lines correctly myself. I had no place for line number four, it would not touch the base end of the ducts at the engine section.
Reasons enough to rip the hull apart. I kept the good bits, of course. Which meant the upper stage, the interstage and tank dome and the engine section.
I quickly redesigned the hull, comparing it to a good hi-res picture of the specific version I am building. I first thought it was too long now but the picture proved me wrong. So there we went again. Printy-printy, embossanova all the way and von cut-outenstein.
Third picture shows the new hull on the left and the old on the right.
The putting together went relatively fast. It now looks better in any way. I also took some time to further detail the insides of the interstage with some strengthening beams and two vent pipes from the tank dome to the outside of the interstage. Tihis is a bit fantasy because I couldn't find a good photo of the insides itself. But it looks good anyway.
Soon more to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0165.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0166.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0171.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0172.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0173.jpg  

Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0175.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0176.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0177.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0178.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0179.jpg  

Old 02-06-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merzo View Post
*Seems perhaps the EASA and Roscosmos effect.
Maybe the D grade rethink? As if we would see the same in respect of the new Orion

You mean the cooperation between ESA and Roscosmos can be seen in the design of the upper stage of Ariane? That is impossible since the Ariane was designed before there was any cooperation between them.
I think the way the fuel tanks are designed to fit into each other does look more Russian than American inspired.
The Orion stack definitely looks Russian. Just look at the LOK/LK train the big N-1 would have carried to the moon.
Attached Thumbnails
Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-lkblockd.gif   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-a331.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-block_d_zem_1.jpg  
Old 02-08-2015, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 161.10 MB
Amazing work! I've been following your blog for a while as well- your skills and attention to detail are seriously impressive. =)
Old 02-08-2015, 04:31 PM

Why, thank you, Ravenchant. That really brings a smile to my face.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:45 AM

Sorry guys, Life is taking over at the moment. Some job-related stuff and taking care of my SO who has come down with a heavy flu and an added exhaustion...
On a more papery note: I did all the ducts and umbilical lines on the core stage and a little extra detailing but that's not enough for a photo update, I think. Hopefully I have some time this weekend to get back to building and start on the next phase. Either shroud, payload or EAP's (SRB's).
See you soon!
Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 PM

Time for a little update. I have built SYLDA, which is the structure that allows the Ariane to carry two spacecraft to orbit simultaneously. It acts as a container for the lower spacecraft and has an adapter ring for the upper spacecraft. It comes in several lengths.

For this I first wanted to use the David Brown version of Ton Notebooms design but I found the measurements were a bit off (as in too small in diameter). It also was the longest shroud and for V188 (the flight of Herschel and Planck) I needed a smaller one. Besides, the structure was glossy, so reasons enough to rebuilt the SYLDA from scratch. I designed my own cones, and just eyeballed the measurements like I did with lots of other Ariane parts already. The original SYLDA shroud fitted inside my own version. I also gave the SYLDA its maintenance holes, through which a technician could perhaps make some last minute adjustments to the payload. (At least that is what I think they're for..)

I also redid the 2nd stage almost entirely, apart from the engine section. Better fit, better appearance.
SYLDA is now a snug fit into the 2nd stage and I have started with Planck.
Planck will have parts of Yogi's model and another one from a British page dedicated to Planck. A real Frankenplanck!
Attached Thumbnails
Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0216.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0219.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0220.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0222.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0223.jpg  

Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0225.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0226.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0227.jpg   Ariane 5 ECA with Planck and Herschel 1/96-dscf0228.jpg  
Old 02-22-2015, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Very nice looking parts...

I love the way you turn your clothespins around backward for clamps... do they work better that way?? Less damage to the paper joints that way or what?? (I know from rocketry work that clothespins can sometimes "dent" paper or balsa parts they're being used to clamp up while glue dries).

Later and KUTGW! OL JR
Old 02-23-2015, 02:17 AM

Correct. It gives a little less pressure due to the longer jaw. And you can reach a bit further inside cylinders like this. I didn't leave them on very long in this case, I used CA because the paper was very sturdy and coated with a glossy layer. I also often use CA for photo paper. You can also sand off the tips of clothes pins a little to get a bigger gripping surface and some people even pad the jaws with a piece of egg carton or rubber band to spread the pressure even more. They even double them up as super pins! (scroll down a little)
Old 02-23-2015, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Great tips! Thanks for that! I appreciate it!

Later! OL JR