PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-06-2015, 07:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Spitzer's High Gain Antenna Research

Ugh, I'm stuck at the end of CalTech's Spitzer Space Telescope model and hoping that some of you have been here before (sorry for the pun). The model (found here) show's the assembly of a conic and its attachment to the aft section of the spacecraft bus. Um, step 34/35. The conic has a black "foil" graphic on the convex side (unless I'm assembling it backwards).

My hesitation comes at the realization that - this is supposed to be the high gain antenna. Well, shouldn't it be concave? With the open/large end of the conic facing outward or away from the ship?

Internet is coming up dry for documentation of this area of the telescope. The best picture I found was this one and might appear to have been the inspiration for the assembly as suggested by the directions. But, that's clean-room stuff. That may not be how it was actually deployed after all.

Have any of you run across this model yourselves? Any suggestions?
Google Adsense
Old 03-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
I think the conic in the model is not the parabolic reflector, but a cover over the actual antenna. It should project outward. Something like the cover on Juno or the Venus Express models.
Yogi
Old 03-06-2015, 08:35 PM

Ah, that makes better sense. Thanks Yogi.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 339.83 MB
;-)
It's not Caltech's model.....it's my model. My name is at the bottom of every page. ;-)
So why not ask the designer first?
That part you are talking about must be Part 32..?! Is is shaped into a cone, ink on the outside. Glue it onto
Part 13. I wonder why you are confused because in the instructions, drawings 36 and 37, you can clearly see it protrude.
If I remember correctly, it is a cover indeed, I believe for a dish antenna.
When the model was uploaded, plenty of pictures of SIRTF/Spitzer could eb found on the net. But indeed, nowadays
those pictures are gone. Strange.... And annoying.

If you have any questions about my models, contact me first. I still have ALL info about every model I ever made. It may
take some time to dig it up, but I know it's still there ! ;-)

If i can contact the people at Caltech, I shall ask them if they will post a few pictures of the finished model. This may
help other modelers, too.

______
Erik.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:10 PM

Some extra info: there is a high gain antenna under that black cover, indeed. Those super high frequenties
go right through most materials you put in front of it.
Spitzer was very cleverly shielded from all sorts of radiation, going in and going out, heat (Infra red), radio signals, etc...
Radiation, especially that of the powerful high gain antenna, was directed in such a way, that no heat and other frequenties
would bounce off the spacecraft. After all, it had a SUPER sensitive IR sensor on board !!!

_____
Erik
Google Adsense
Old 03-07-2015, 08:59 PM

Heck Erik, like I ever expected to chat with the actual authors of the models I'm building. heh I hope your appreciate the humble pie I'm eating as I question - its more my familiarity than the research you put into your work.

Finishing touches going on now and you'll get a few shots of my very amateur build (this is only my 5th paper model after all) next week. Hope it does your work justice! And thanks for the added information. I love finding out more about the things I'm constructing - otherwise I wouldn't have bothered asking
Old 03-08-2015, 06:54 PM

I found some pictures of my SIRTF model. At least, it still had that name at the time I made this model.
By the way, I had this model printed 2.5 times the size of the internet version. First of all, it was made to
be on display at my observatory club. It also allowed me to use different colors rescue blankets. these mylar foils have
the exact color and appearance aas the real stuff. One drawback was trying to find a kind of glue that would work with
mylar. And believe me, it was a challenge....! I tried EVERY type of glue I had at hand. Even superglue did not work. At all !
Eventually some sort of tixotropic glue from Bison did the trick, although
even that stuff could not guarantee a 100% bond....

More pics in the next post.

_______
Erik

Here's my model :

Old 03-08-2015, 07:11 PM

With all of these pictures you should now be able to build a decent model !! ;-)

_______
Erik.