PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-04-2015, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
UHU02's Apollo 13 LM7 in 1:24 scale

There was a wish, and a query, from a new member, Jerry "Okiestarman", for a 1:24 scale version of the magnificent model by UHU02 of the Apollo 13 LM7 lunar landing module. After a bit of discussion in his original thread, the project was deemed extraordinarily difficult, due to the complexity of the model. The recommendation of seasoned members was to go to a printer and negotiate the printing of the 21 pages in A2 format (which equals a doubling of the original 1/48 scale).

This may still be the best option. However, for those with just an ordinary desktop inkjet printer, plus a willingness to cut some 80 sheets of paper to minimum 210 x 420 mm size, I did prepare a kit in 1/24 scale. The inofficial cover looks like this:

If you read the text, you'll pretty much get the hang of it. This is the format of the kit, and you will have to follow the paper-cutting instructions if you wish to make use of it.

A quick look at a couple of typical pages will give you an impression of the kit:

UHU02's Apollo 13 LM7 in 1:24 scale-page-63-16-.jpg UHU02's Apollo 13 LM7 in 1:24 scale-page-64-16-.jpg UHU02's Apollo 13 LM7 in 1:24 scale-page-65-16-.jpg UHU02's Apollo 13 LM7 in 1:24 scale-page-66-16-.jpg

By the page numbers you can see that this is a humongous kit - 80 part pages in this large format. Each new part page has the original page number within parentheses, so that you can easily refer to the original pages.

Included in this package is a straight Google-translated version of UHU02's original instructions. They are absolutely necessary, I believe, for a successful build. I've collected the instruction files on the original site in a common pdf of more than 260 pages, so you will likely not want to print it, but view it on your screen instead. The translated instructions are unedited, so you will have to suffer some translation oddities, but that's par for the course and better than me trying to make out the original meaning...

A further advantage of reading these instructions on the screen is that if you click on any one image in this instructions file (and there are many!) you will get directly to the enlarged original version for a detailed study (provided you are online).

Since this is just an unofficial private undertaking, I cannot post it as yet in the downloads section (pending permission from UHU02). However, as far as I understand it, there's nothing preventing me from sharing such a private undertaking as this with a friend. And I would dearly like this work to be stored someplace else, in addition to my private server space.

So, if there's someone among you who has server space available to store a package of 165 MB and are willing to become additional keepers of this magnificent free model, please get in touch. (If I'm swamped by requests, I'll just choose among the first takers with web space available, until such a time as I can make this version freely available with official approval.)

- Leif

PS. And - of course - UHU02's original 1/48 scale model & instructions can be downloaded free from here. Google translated version in English here.
Attached Thumbnails
UHU02's Apollo 13 LM7 in 1:24 scale-cover.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 04-04-2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Adding UHU02's original web page - how could I forget!
Google Adsense
Old 04-04-2015, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.42 MB
Leif, you did us space modelers a great service! This kit has crazy detail and parts count. The larger size will help these old eyes. Thank You!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
1:24 scale conversion of Uhu02's Apollo 13 LM-7

Great, Leif!

Who better than to lead such a project? With your tremendous experience in scale conversions you are indeed helping out here in a very fine way. Not to mention the organised tidyness and clarity that permiate all your work.

Thank you,
Bengt in Stockholm
Old 04-04-2015, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
I have build the LEM from UHU and I don't believe the scale of 1:48.
I have print out in A3 and built it, so the model shows a diameter of the upper hatch of 3cm.
My build of the wonderful CM from Ken in 1:12 has a diameter of the hatch 6 cm ...
so that I can say a print of the LEM in A3 is 1:24..... the model of UHU can never be 1:48 if it is print in A4.

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 04-04-2015, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Thank you Michael for pointing that out. I just trusted Uhu02's information.

If you built a model in A3, that would be 142 percent larger than the stated 1/48. If that model turned out to be in 1:24 scale, it would mean that my rescaled version is closer to 1/16 (or more exactly 1/16.9 give or take).

This is kind of wonderful in my opinion, since I like that scale. However, one would certainly want to know more exactly.

I look forward to all information about easy to measure true measurements, to be able to determine the true scale.

Thanks again! - L.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Dear Leif,

here is a drawing which lists some measurements of the real LEM:
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/upload...tw/LM3view.png
(linked from http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/posts/157)

I think you could use the height of the descent stage (5' 8.86") as a reference. It also gives you the width in both directions of the descent stage.

Best regards,
Thorsten

Last edited by thorst; 04-04-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Corrected link
Old 04-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 135.67 MB
I have some Dropbox space and some iCloud space that could host it. I would leave it up and give a public link.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
My understanding of Uhu's models is that he doesn't want his models to be modified or distributed in any way other than from his site. Even hosting files on another server goes against his wishes.

As generous as the above work is and the amount of time that has been put into doing the work, has Uhu given permission to do this and thus share the files and/or links to his website? I'm referring specifically to this, "So, if there's someone among you who has server space available to store a package of 165 MB and are willing to become additional keepers of this magnificent free model, please get in touch. (If I'm swamped by requests, I'll just choose among the first takers with web space available, until such a time as I can make this version freely available with official approval.) "

Don't misunderstand me, I appreciate the work that has been done, but it should only be done and posted in a very public forum with prior approval from the designer.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Just a friendly reminder to all.

As everyone knows, Uhu is very protective of his models and as such....we will respect the distribution of any such models the way Uhu allows his models to be distributed. Which means, Leif of course will have to contact Uhu directly to obtain such permission to share in any manner. If Uhu does not allow, DO NOT make any requests for sharing on this forum.

Now, I also will ask that the model you are reworking Leif NOT be shared or hosted anywhere unless you have express written consent from Uhu. The last thing any of us wants is for Uhu to be offended and angered again resulting from his models being shared and then he removes access to all his models again as he did the last time.

Please continue in discussion and exhibition of your work Leif....but all, please cease in discussions of sharing and/or hosting said model. If Uhu does provide permission, then lets see how things can work out.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorst View Post
Dear Leif,

here is a drawing which lists some measurements of the real LEM:
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/upload...tw/LM3view.png
(linked from LROC?s First Look at the Apollo Landing Sites | Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera)

I think you could use the height of the descent stage (5' 8.86") as a reference. It also gives you the width in both directions of the descent stage.

Best regards,
Thorsten
Thank you for the link.
If I take the dimensions of my A3-printed model, I come out with a scale from 1:24 (width) - 1:29 (height)....

BTW:
I have the plan to make a 1:12 model fits to Ken's CM and my own SM and LRV. My time target is the 50. anniversary of first moon landing in July 2019 to make a diorama 1:12 like this:
Attached Thumbnails
UHU02's Apollo 13 LM7 in 1:24 scale-05-speyer-april-2014.m2ts_snapshot_05.59_-2015.04.05_10.18.02-.jpg  

my current projekt:
Iss - the third

Last edited by mk310149; 04-05-2015 at 02:20 AM.
Google Adsense