PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-07-2015, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
TRACE Satellite - Aft section.

Hey all, I got side tracked so I picked up E Groen's TRACE satellite. I've a question about the aft section. Specifically, what does it look like? I can't seem to find out anything on recent web pages. Lots of broken links out there. Anyone have anything available? Eric, do you have more info that you just decided not model (which might be understandable)?
Google Adsense
Old 06-07-2015, 06:41 PM

It might help were I a bit more specific. Here is the aft section as modeled:

The best picture I could find seemed to show the launch ring running the circumference of the spacecraft bus. But I have no idea what else is under there. A thruster? Engine? Antenna?
Old 06-08-2015, 08:05 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Try the Lockheed website. The short launch movie has a couple of quick views of the aft end before mating to the Pegasus launcher.
Yogi

< Welcome to T R A C E on-line > website, link to movie http://trace.lmsal.com/POD/movies/TRACE-Launch.mov
Old 06-08-2015, 09:58 AM

Excellent, thanks for helping me find that Yogi. I skipped right passed that link, misreading the description entirely.

Some of those features should be a nice addition and easy to add to Groen's already nicely detailed model.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 339.83 MB
No, sorry. No further info available.
Back then, I once emailed NASA and asked for some info. They sent me two A4 sheets with only some basic dimensional data.
One sheet showed a line drawing of the completed satellite, the other one had sketchy line drawings of the sides and the top.
Here and there some sizes were mentioned. Not much more than that.
That movie did not exist back than, so I had to use my imagination. Even NASA could not/did not want to give me more info.

There were, however, a fair amount of pictures available of the satellite after it was completed, with its solar panels
unfolded, alas still not showing the back side. That's why I could render all sides, except the underside....! {-(

It's one of those annoying things we designers have to live with.
My latest model is Metop. I thought, living in 2014, plenty of info would be made available, especially since THEY asked ME to
make a model...!!?? Alas again. All I had were some sketchy drawings and lots of pictures online.
And to my BIG surprise, the drawings they sent me were flawed...!! If I hadn't had the large amount of pictures of the real
spacecraft as a guide, the model would nowhere near be as accurate as it is !
(Here's a nice job for rivet counters: compare the bolts, rivets and amount of solar cells on the real spacecraft to the one on the model.
I think I got a 95% accuracy or better. The large solar panels are 100% correct. Just thought I would mention it ! ;-) )

And speaking of accuracy..... The dimensions of the TRACE satellite are as good as spot-on. I had little info, but what I had was good.
And that's rare. Even in 2015.
Sadly enough.

_____
Erik
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Given all that - TRACE is a great design that's accurate where you had the data and reasonable (based on experience) everywhere. Keep on putting them out!
Yogi
Old 06-16-2015, 08:44 PM

Precisely the reason trying to document my builds, do research as I go, and respect artists and modelers like you guys. i could never do what you guys do, but if I can ask questions, even years later, hopefully it pays forward.

I posted my hack of the aft section in the gallery announcements page. Hope you like it.