PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-19-2015, 03:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
For a model you just make for yourself, you don't need a designer's permission to modify the design. Only if you want to publish it, for example, online, you need a permission. It's about distributing, not what you do with it yourself.

Funnily enough, I have started exactly such a build (an exploded view of a Saturn V) last year January. I got stuck when the metallic coloured paper I used for the insides of the kerosine and LOX tanks was too smooth to hold the glue for the slosh baffles inside the S-IC. It is a huge undertaking, I must say. I wanted really all the details and I built at 1/96. It is doable though. I might pick it up some day at a later date.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo related modeling...-p1040663.jpg   Apollo related modeling...-p1040672.jpg  
Old 06-19-2015, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.34 GB
Thanks for the reply. What if this model is to be used in a public setting as an educational tool ? Any constraints on that ? I am a space science, space history educator so this is how it will be used. May I ask a few questions about the pics of the construction in the message ? LOL I must be a glutton for punishment as yes that is the same scale (1-96) I am intending to build it in. Seems like 1-144 would be too small but indeed doable. Ok enough from me for the moment here...

Bob
Old 06-21-2015, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Man, I'd really like to see both of those projects completed!

Isaac Asimov
Old 06-22-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecraftcreator View Post
Thanks for the reply. What if this model is to be used in a public setting as an educational tool ? Any constraints on that ?
Same. The copyright is all about the publishing of the modificated model. Not the dispplay of it as such. That is your own work. Just don't share the modified model without permission.

Quote:
May I ask a few questions about the pics of the construction in the message ?
Fire away.

Quote:
LOL I must be a glutton for punishment as yes that is the same scale (1-96) I am intending to build it in. Seems like 1-144 would be too small but indeed doable. Ok enough from me for the moment here...
144 indeed is quite small. But not impossible. 96th is doable and in a reasonable handling size. I chose that scale because all my rockets are 96th.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:59 PM

Ok all I am back after well a couple of weeks I would not wish upon anyone to go through. Related to my disability (s) and was stuck in bed for rest and such with no computer ...yadda yadda....Gotta love my Dr...so have been cleared to resume regular activities. Not meaning to go on here off topic but would like to have all understand why if there are gaps as such. Thank you for your patience.

Now, PK if you would please, what metallic paper is it that you used for the cut away portion and that gave you the problems you referred to? Did you ever resolve it ? I am going to do the cutaway in 1/96 as that is still a easy to handle scale and indeed quite impressive on display. It will fit into a series of launchers and their respective spacecraft. Anyway, to start it will be with the S1-C Saturn V stage....go from the ground up the stack. Detail on the SLA details I am still searching for so if anyone has suggestions I am all ears.... So happy 4th to all in the states...now where did I put that model knife ??????
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecraftcreator View Post
what metallic paper is it that you used for the cut away portion and that gave you the problems you referred to? Did you ever resolve it ?
The paper type is thick card called Chromolux. It is available in large sheets of sliver, chrome, gold, but also in this matte metallic shine. It is super smooth. because of the coating. It looks like metal. That is what I wanted.

I tried to print the S-IC outside son the back of the card. That worked quite well but it wasn't sharp enough. Si I went for an outer layer for the oustside and an inner layer of Chromolux. It also could provide with some extra stiffness and I could make better looking cutouts.
(see my weblog for more pictures and build stories)

Glueing things on to the metallic layer is hard.
As you might know and if you want to make a good resembling model you should add, inside the fuel tanks are slosh baffles. lots of rings that prevent the fuel from sloshing too much and unbalancing the rocket. Baffles are easily made. But.
White PVC glue and stuff like Aleene's won't hold on the shiny Chromolux and just let go. CA is useless because of fogging. I tried to overcome this problem by carving lines in the metallic paper to let the glue get some grip but to no effect.

There is a method I yet have to try; making small rings as big as the space between each slosh baffle. The slosh baffles are glued onto the outer wall's insides while the metallic rings go on top of each baffle. In the end you should have the same look: baffles evenly spaced throughout the tank.
But at that time I got too busy with other things and I just abandoned the build.
Maybe next year or so I'll try again. But maybe not.

At this time I am very busy nursing my GF back to health and I am trying to keep my head above water by now having to work on my own. (Me and my GF have a business together.) Unfortunately, because of all that, I have almost no time for paper modeling.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
White PVC glue
I of course mean PVA.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:09 AM

Oh of course PVA....no worries . I am thinking and going to experiment with some ideas. First I am going to have to get some of the paper to work with, but I will let you know. Thanks for the info and may your GF have a full recovery, prayers for you both as I know that is not an easy task from experience in my family.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:47 PM

And yes it is a project I would like to see and have done as well. I have made it a priority in my to-build list...which yes keeps getting longer.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:14 AM

Just so you all know that I have not forgotten, but It's been a busy couple of weeks and there is still this week to go. I have been occupied with a New Horizons mission following, our yearly airshow which concluded yesterday and my Apollo lecture/display of the 1st Moon Landing. Much has gone on over the past 3wks, so hopefully I will be able to have some time here at the work bench soon.
Google Adsense