PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 155.43 MB
Hi guys

my apologies for the lack of updates, September's been quite busy on my schedule, I wasn't able to work on this practically... fortunately though, this month is a bit loose, and I'm now continuing work on the model as we speak...

I did managed, however, to use what little free time I had last month to finish off the DC-1 Pirs module and the twin STRELA crane arms...

like Zarya and Zvezda, Pirs has been given the wire treatment for the EVA handrails

what made this module complicated for me, however is this part sticking out of the EVA hatch 1; an EVA handrail spacewalkers call the "ladder"...

like Zvezda's tidbits that I added, it took me quite a bit of searching to finally get a good set of graphics that I used as reference... the ladder is made from the same diameter wire (plus one slightly larger gage wire) that I used for the EVA handrails and a couple of small rectangular card scraps to act as the frame (one on each side)... the footholds came from a copy of the footholds from the STRELA cranes...

and here's the module, with a penny for comparison

me trying a test fit to Zvezda, and so far, I really like what I'm seeing

and finally here's the rest of the gang so far...

next one on deck will be Node 2, quickly followed by Columbus and Kibo
Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N96HBK View Post
Hans, is this model really hard to make? I'm thinking about doing the same unless I have time....
um, I would say, in a way, yes... if this is the first time that you will build the model

I recommend doing a bit of reading (or watching a related documentary) about the ISS and its history, to have a better grasp of the subject... the model is not for a beginner, I have to say, as this is not a shake-and-bake, walk-in-a-park type of build... as for me, I treat every single module/equipment as a separate model in itself, in order to break down the complexity of the assembly process...

as for time, you don't need to cram as much progress as you can... build it one module at a time, and eventually, you'll be able to join them together to complete the entire thing
Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 AM

I have to say, building Node 2 (Harmony) was quite... "harmonious"... no serious booboos, practically everything fit just right, and the module is very very sturdy...

(later on, I'll add handrails and wiring detail (just like on the other USOS modules) just like what I did on the Russian segment

the module's only add-ons were these pair of EVA toolbags stuck above and below the starboard CBM... I made it similar to the EVA toolbag I drew for the Z-1 truss... just 4x3x1.5mm boxes... I just used the good ol' pencil and paper for these, as I'm too lazy to do it on the computer...

and with the completion of this module, I've finally hit a milestone into the build; the core modules of the space station are now completed...

a couple of test fits

and the rest of them...

the Columbus Orbital Facility will be up next, after which I'll tackle Dextre followed by the entire JEM complex

Old 10-10-2015, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Cool!!! You must be really talented!!!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N96HBK View Post
Cool!!! You must be really talented!!!
I would say I just had a lot of booboos that I learned from on my previous builds

one more module up before I pause the build again due to -life-gets-in-the-way- kind of stuff... but fortunately, its only gonna last for a couple of days... and I'll be continuing happily again starting next week...

the second of the science-dedicated modules, the Columbus Orbital Facility

this one has been a really good build... no flukes whatsoever... nice and sturdy, yet not to be left out on details

I decided to open up all necessary "holes" to better represent the equipment racks... but since this is going to be the flight ULF-6 configuration, only the SOLAR experiment package is installed

also during that period, previous EVA guys installed and left a foot restraint on top of the module, so I put one in place where it is depicted

and finally, an obligatory test fit with some of the modules

Dextre is next on deck, after which the entire Kibo complex will follow

at this point in the build, I'm starting to visualize how the entire complex will look like once done... and I'm really itching to see it completed
Google Adsense
Old 10-13-2015, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
Nice work Hans, Columbus equipment racks look a lot better with the holes cut out.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:10 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Really coming along!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Looks awesome!!!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:27 PM

many thanks guys

and here's some additional updates...

my original plan was to get the entire Kibo complex done, but yet again, life keeps on messing up my buildtime... so this is the only things I get to show for the moment...

I managed to finish the primary parts that STS-123 delivered, Dextre and Kibo's ELM-PS

Kibo's ELM-PS was pretty straightforward, though I ran into some errors along the way (my fault in all), but the end result was a very sturdy module...

I did however glued several detail pieces to make them pop out, as they are all very obvious on the real one...

probably the most significant items I added are these... thanks to the shuttle's on-orbit paparazzi shots, I noticed that these items (the circular ones in particular) resemble the GPS antennas on the S-0 truss, so I went on and outsourced a pair (from an unsued printout of the parts), laminated them 3 times, and then glued them in place...

the rectangular electronics linkage are just laminated scrap cardboard trimmed to shape, and the wirings were just floral wire cut and bent to shape, and dipped in white paint

the most time consuming on this batch is of course, the SPDM... I initially planned to build the original 1/144 one, but after examining real mccoy pics, I decided to resize the 1/100 version into 1/144, since it looks closer, although I chose to use the simpler end effector for the 1/144 version to keep consistency with the SSRMS...

and, like how sir Alfonso designed the 1/100 version, this is also a fully-articulating robot arm

I also added already the Enhanced ORU temporary platform delivered by STS-132... and the simpler OTP will be placed on top of the unused Node 3 umbilicals on the S-0 truss...

next week, I'll be finishing Kibo for sure, and after that, only 3 modules remain until I complete all of the pressurized elements, and soon, onwards to the initial detailing, pallet construction, and of course, the entire Truss complex
Old 10-27-2015, 10:40 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
The detail and care that your putting into this is inspiring!