PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-25-2020, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Very happy to hear that you’re building again Hans. I hope it’s a healing experience after what sounds to have been several difficult years. You have been an inspiration to me (and many more if I may be so bold) and I hope that you accept warmest regards.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 155.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Hello and welcome back
much thanks sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreinmann View Post
Very happy to hear that you’re building again Hans. I hope it’s a healing experience after what sounds to have been several difficult years. You have been an inspiration to me (and many more if I may be so bold) and I hope that you accept warmest regards.
much thanks sir! indeed the past 4 years since I last posted here was full of challenges, both on a personal, and professional level... though I have remained a lurker here during those times...

much thanks once again for welcoming me back all of you... this time I'm back for good

and with that regard, I'm happy to finally be posting a new set of build updates

I have finally finished the P-6 Truss, 4 years after I have paused building...
Attached Thumbnails
1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0041.jpg  
Old 07-05-2020, 10:33 AM

but before moving on with the P-6 Truss, I updated...more like rebuild... the Z-1 Truss with new parts:

- I covered the CMG thermal blanket with aluminum foil to better simulate the Mylar thermal blanket on the real Truss

- I removed both the forward and top bulkheads, and, using Dr. Fortezza's Z-1 truss, made the interior truss beams and opened up the blank portions for better realism

- I made a copy of sir Alfonso's Capture Latch assembly claws and install them on the top bulkhead's central hole

- after some research and photo crosschecking, I was able to determine the final stowage location of the Grapple Fixture on the aft portion of the truss (where it was installed on its Shuttle Payload bay config), and as such, I glued the said Grapple Fixture on that new location

- I made the side wiring racks 3-dimensional in preparation for adding wiring detail later

- although it's not that visible on the photo, I was able to draft new parts for the SASA antenna's mounting brackets... I'll show this modification on subsequent SASA antennas later...

- last, but not the least, I added the MMOD skirt around the CBM of the truss (similar to what I did with the Cupola)... this MMOD skirt will also be a feature for all laterally-installed modules later
Attached Thumbnails
1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0042.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0046.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0048.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0051.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0052.jpg  

1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0053.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0054.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0066.jpg  

Last edited by Hans Christian; 07-05-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:43 AM

and now, on to the P-6 Truss...

This one has been a real workout... which, admittedly, was one of the reasons I put it, and indeed, the whole build, on pause for so long...

but now that I've finished it, I'm very happy that the mods I did have been worth it...

before going on to the list of mods I made, I'll say this outright... sir Alfonso's P-6 Truss is a very highly detailed model in on itself... and a huge part of why I was able to made the mods is that sir Alfonso's model is so easy to do the mods from... everything is practically in place... the stumbling blocks I had were reference crosschecking and visualization on how to make those mods work...

the mods were made for the following reasons:

- to add even more strength to the assembly
- to make it more consistent with the level of detail sir Alfonso has designed the subsequent Trusses...

after finishing the entire ISS, I plan to send everything I modified to sir Alfonso so that he can offer it on his website
Attached Thumbnails
1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0055.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0056.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0057.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0058.jpg  
Old 07-05-2020, 10:57 AM

and now, on to the list of the mods I made (part 1 of 2)

- the keel drag braces were replaced with plastic sticks (Evergreen Styrene rod) that I painted the same color as the trunnion pin supports

- I assembled the truss beams holding the 2 Grapple fixtures beside the disabled thermal radiators using the unused drag brace parts from sir Alfonso's kit

- for the post-STS-134 config, I added an Adjustable Portable Foot Restraint (APFR) copied from sir Alfonso's kit parts and the mounting bracket for the PDGF using the one from Dr. Fortezza's kit

- I draw the thermal blankets for the folded thermal radiators, PFCS boxes, and the transponder avionics box (this box was from Dr. Fortezza's kit) using MS Paint, then printed onto textured paper and installed them as appropriate

- using thin plastic sticks, I simulated the Early Ammonia Servicer (EAS) hoses installed on the EAS adapters on both the upper and lower portions of the truss

- for the Solar Array Wing mounting frames, I first glued the SAW Mast Canister electrics box to the outer edge of the truss, then to simulate the quadripod legs, I used cross stitching sewing needles (cut into length) and wire for the crossbeams, to better simulate the Mast Canister's mounting quadripods... the resulting assembly is very very strong, yet detailed rendition of the quadripods...
Attached Thumbnails
1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0059.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0060.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0061.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0062.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0063.jpg  

1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0064.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0065.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-05-2020, 11:18 AM

and finally, Part 2 of 2 of the mods I did for the P-6 Truss

the main mods I made with this one were making the two portions of the Truss - the Integrated Electronics Assembly (IEA), and the Long Spacer - to be much like their real like counterparts

- for the Long Spacer, after checking and crosschecking references, I drew the actual truss assembly from MS paint, and made it as an interior detail assembly to sir Alfonso's original parts, with the black portions removed so that the truss beams can be seen inside... not only did it become consistent with sir Alfonso's subsequent truss assemblies like S-0 etc., it also has the added benefit of adding a heck of a lot more strength to the Long Spacer...

and since the S-6 truss is structurally identical to P-6, I'll apply the same mods to S-6 later... (I'll also do a photo documentation on how to build the mods)

- for the IEA, instead of making it a simple box, I cut each individual sides, and assembled them in a fashion where the box becomes a rack - to accommodate the individual Battery boxes, PFCS boxes and DCSU boxes - reminiscent of what the actual IEA assembly looks like... the battery, PFCS and DCSU boxes were all derived from sir Alfonso's parts... and like the long spacer, the resulting assembly adds even more strength to the truss...

and since the IEAs are basically identical, this mod will be consistent with the P-4, S-4 and S-6 Truss IEAs as well...

the resulting mods not only made sir Alfonso's truss look more realistic, it made it basically as hard as a rock yet light as a feather...

and to finish off the assembly, I added trimmed up gold wires to simulate the EVA handrails...

I decided to leave off the Thermal radiator for later so that it won't be in the way until final assembly... also I'll install the Mast canisters also for later so that I can align the SAWs much easier...

speaking of the SAWs, I decided to put them on the final assembly stage so that I can finish off the rest of the trusses, as well as plan my tutorial on how to eliminate sagging...
Attached Thumbnails
1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-wp_20200623_002.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-wp_20200623_016.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-wp_20200623_019.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-wp_20200623_021.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-wp_20200623_022.jpg  

1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-wp_20200623_023.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-wp_20200623_024.jpg   1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-wp_20200623_025.jpg  
Old 07-05-2020, 11:20 AM

latest update, I'm now building the S-0 truss as we speak... I'll go over this as deliberate as possible in order to put things nice and straight, and strong...

thanks again for looking guys
Attached Thumbnails
1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)-img_0067.jpg  
Old 07-09-2020, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
So good to hear from you again Hans! the build is looking great!
Old 07-13-2020, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Everything is looking great, Hans. Glad you're back and modelin' up a storm....
Old 07-30-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obwand10 View Post
So good to hear from you again Hans! the build is looking great!
Heya!!! long time no hear!!! I hope all is well on your side of the planet! glad to see you in this thread again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
Everything is looking great, Hans. Glad you're back and modelin' up a storm....

much thanks sir Dave! it's really good to be back!

at this point, I'm almost done with the S-0 truss... although I grossly underestimated the time I spent building an ISS piece like this one... (been building this truss for a month and counting already), but it's almost all because of the "extra work" I did with it... but fortunately I'll be posting photos of the finished truss by next week (also hoping to get the MBS done by that time as well) then it's on to the next set of trusses...

been thinking of building the S-1 and P-1 trusses simultaneously as well, if it proves to save me time with it, I'll do the same with P-3/4 and S-3/4, and P-5 and S-5, and finally onto S-6...

after which the ELCs, AMS and SAWs will be next, and the visiting spacecraft will top off the assembly...

sure hope I can get this done before November...
Google Adsense