PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-22-2015, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 155.43 MB
1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)

Hi to all, much apologies for not posting for a very long time...

my 1/100 ISS build is to be put into hibernation for the moment, to give way for this one...

for the many times I've visited the California Science Center, I thought of the idea of something that is directly related one of to Space Shuttle Endeavour's greatest accomplishments, and I though, of course, of the ISS... and if I'm not mistaken, Endeavour brought up the first (Node 1 - Unity) and the last (AMS-02) major pieces of the US orbital segment of the station...

so in line of this, I decided to build a model of the ISS with Endeavour docked on it, to hopefully, donate it to CSC when I get it done on time... otherwise, the model will debut on our upcoming IPMS nationals, as requested by our organizers to display a big enough card model to the event to entice other modelers to join in as well, to open up a possible card model category for subsequent events/competitions...

the model will mostly compose of sir Alfonso's ISS modules and equipment (except for Destiny and Quest - I decided to use Dr. Fortezza's MARSCenter ISS modules for those), and Arvydas' beautiful photoreal rendering of the MARSCenter/Betexa Space Shuttle Endeavour (with sir Thorsten's beautiful SSMEs to replace the stock ones)...

the model, when done, will reflect the Shuttle/ISS stack as like this:

so here's what I've done so far

so far I've completed Unity, Zarya and Zvezda (solar panels to follow) and the first 2 PMAs (and all of the modules, as well as the ones that will follow, will be built in their post STS-134 / flight ULF-6 configuration)

Zarya's coming along nicely, and I've added the additional parts such as the extra docking target and the PDGF to reflect its post ULF-6 configuration

I didn't install the front and aft docking adapters, as I'll be connecting them to the other modules anyway

Unity also went well, and I've glued the CBM petals open so that I won't run into problems when I install the Z-1 Truss, Quest, Leonardo, and Tranquility

I think I'll add some extra EVA toolbags later as well

Zvezda came out really good, however, for the post ULF-6 configuration, sir Alfonso is yet to add the EVA workstations and the two experiments attached to them during Endeavour's final visit (he will design and release those said components at a later date), so working with flyaround images from NASA, and rummaging Google for graphical images, I was able to scratchbuilt the EVA workstations, the Molniya-Gamma experiment package installed on the starboard EVA workstation, and the Radiometria experiment package installed on the port EVA workstation. I drew all components via MS paint, resize them on MS word, then created a PDF file for it (for high quality printing) then finally printed and assembled the pieces...

later I'll resize them again to 1/100 scale and post the files here on this thread for anyone who wants to add them to their ISS

and, like Zarya, I didn't add the docking adapters for this, to facilitate connecting the module to the other modules...

and here's PMA-1 and 2... like Zarya and Zvezda, they will not receive their docking petals so that I can connect them strongly to the other modules (and in the case of PMA-2, to Endeavour)

and here's the rest of the Space Station, as well as Endeavour and other supply/crew vehicles

will post updates as quickly as I can build the next modules and other fittings... and by request of our fellows here (and long overdue), I will give the tutorial in this thread (or I may make a separate one) on how I get the large PVAs to straighten up, and not sag like spaghetti... like what I did to my ongoing 1/100 ISS build...

see you guys soon!

Last edited by Hans Christian; 06-22-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
This looks terrific, Hans.
I've been working on the ISS as well in 1:72.
Its massive none the less.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 06-22-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunwayOneSixRight View Post
This looks terrific, Hans.
I've been working on the ISS as well in 1:72.
Its massive none the less.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
1/72!!!!!????

I want to see your build as well sir Matthew!
Old 06-22-2015, 04:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
Hans, your work is absolutely outstanding. I like the Zvezda workstations, and by the way I have the preliminary templates at home. I'm still working on them, cause these will be detachable.
I'll be in Manilla this week, let's get together for pictures. It'll be cool.
Keep up the good work. More photos please!!!!!
Old 06-22-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axm61 View Post
Hans, your work is absolutely outstanding. I like the Zvezda workstations, and by the way I have the preliminary templates at home. I'm still working on them, cause these will be detachable.
I'll be in Manilla this week, let's get together for pictures. It'll be cool.
Keep up the good work. More photos please!!!!!
sir!

nice! looking forward to yours sir! will definitely use them to the 1/100 build!

alrighty! I'm off work until next monday! see you the soonest sir! and belated happy father's day to you also sir!

Last edited by Hans Christian; 06-22-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-23-2015, 12:35 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
This looks VERY good Hans. I agree - more photos please. Nice to hear from you again. Hope to hear more from you in the future.

Last edited by elliott; 06-23-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
I like that new realistic Shuttle texture. I used some Orbiter 2010 textures to make the Payload bay doors. This tread is going to be VERY interesting!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Great work!
Old 06-23-2015, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
Looks really nice Hans. Been thinking about building another ISS, I have converted my loft space into a model den, got lots of space to hang another build.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:20 AM

Thank you guys! its great to hear from everyone again after so long

and as promised, here are some new parts done

the Z-1 Truss is finally done... it took me a bit more time to finish it than I anticipated, and ended up a bit sloppy and edgy on some corners, but overall it was all good...

but because of the time it took me to finish the truss, I decided to build the rest of the ITA after I finish all of the pressurized modules, external pallets and robot arms, in order to make as many components as I can before tackling the more complex ones...

one small new addition to the Truss is this little EVA bag... and since this is just a simple 4 x 5 x 1.5 mm box, unlike what I did with Zvezda's EVA workstations and experiment packages, I just drew this part the old fashioned way; with a pencil and a straightedge...

I noticed the EVA bag when I was looking at EVA shots made by Expedition 28 crews during STS-135...

PMA-3 is also done... and unlike the first two, because this one will not have anything docked to it, I completed this PMA with the APAS docking mechanism included...

a few new additions to Unity and PMA-1 (I still haven't glued it yet... just plugged it in for photos, will glue this thing later on)... the extra EVA toolbag on Unity (I made it the same way as the EVA toolbag on Z-1; it's a 3 x 3 x 3 mm cube), and the ORU transfer device (OTD) installed on PMA-1

I also removed the sunshade on PMA-1's zenith MDM (Multiplexer-Demultiplexer) electronics box

Zarya's solar panels are done, and will be installed on the module at a later date

one more groufie before calling it a day

and next up on my cutting mat
Google Adsense