PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-30-2015, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 398.46 MB
OCO-2 Paper Model

I just finished designing my 2nd model, the OCO-2 or Orbiting Carbon Observatory 2.

OCO-2 is NASA’s first dedicated Earth remote sensing satellite to study atmospheric carbon dioxide from Space. OCO-2 will be collecting space-based global measurements of atmospheric CO2 with the precision, resolution, and coverage needed to characterize sources and sinks on regional scales.

This will enhance our understanding for improving predictions of future atmospheric CO2 increases and its impact on Earth's climate.

OCO-2 was launched on July 2, 2014.

I placed this in the downloads section today, i hope it will be available for all
to download.

Tell me what you think, I welcome any comments or suggestions

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
OCO-2 Paper Model-completed-model-1.jpg   OCO-2 Paper Model-completed-model-2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Nicely engineered and textured!
Yogi
Old 08-09-2015, 04:45 PM

Thank You Yogi.
I'm currently working on the GPS III satellite.

Glenn
Old 10-02-2015, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Hey Glenn, I started your OCO2 tonight. I hope you don't mind, I had a couple quick questions.

Did you use a single foil sheet for the inner wall of the spacecraft bus? Or did you section it according to the cut-out sheet/panels that you provided on page 3?

How did you glue the foil to the bus? I tried with Elmer's white glue but it didn't hold. Also, did you find that the glossy side or the dull side of the foil was a better representation?
Old 10-03-2015, 03:08 PM

The Google spoke and told me that my issue was using a water-base glue. A glue-stick worked like a charm. Still curious how you went about it though.
Google Adsense
Old 10-05-2015, 02:32 PM

Inner wall of spacecraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreinmann View Post
Hey Glenn, I started your OCO2 tonight. I hope you don't mind, I had a couple quick questions.

Did you use a single foil sheet for the inner wall of the spacecraft bus? Or did you section it according to the cut-out sheet/panels that you provided on page 3?

How did you glue the foil to the bus? I tried with Elmer's white glue but it didn't hold. Also, did you find that the glossy side or the dull side of the foil was a better representation?
Actually, When I built the model, I painted the backside of the cutouts with brilliant metallic silver spray paint. Let dry and I used super glue to glue the pieces in.
When using foil, I think the dull side is more realistic when compared to the photos of the spacecraft being assembled. May want to try super glue or glue stick.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:41 PM

Hmm, okay, thanks (I won't admit that I used the shiny side being less than patient if you won't notice from gallery pictures).

I saw an old pic - hang on let me upload...
This artist's conception on The Afternoon Constellation - A-Train. Had you seen this one? I'm adding the rounded thrust ring and what I'm guessing are the 4 lugs within. Had you seen this picture? It wasn't added to your parts list. Perhaps you found it to be less accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
OCO-2 Paper Model-oco-2-aft.jpg  
Old 10-06-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreinmann View Post
Hmm, okay, thanks (I won't admit that I used the shiny side being less than patient if you won't notice from gallery pictures).

I saw an old pic - hang on let me upload...
This artist's conception on The Afternoon Constellation - A-Train. Had you seen this one? I'm adding the rounded thrust ring and what I'm guessing are the 4 lugs within. Had you seen this picture? It wasn't added to your parts list. Perhaps you found it to be less accurate.
Of all the photos I've downloaded, I've never seen this one.
This is the first I seen showing the rounded thrust ring and was trying to find
one showing what's on that end of the spacecraft.

I use a lot of photos of the actual spacecraft being assembled in the lab and some good artist conception pics as well.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:14 AM

Yeah I know. Artist drawings so typically come out with way less info than we have access to years after the fact, so without blame you have to take them with some curiousity more than actuality.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:42 AM

I totally neglected to announce my completed build. Glenn you made a beautiful little kit here. Thanks!

And here's my gallery on Imgur
Attached Thumbnails
OCO-2 Paper Model-img_2516.jpg   OCO-2 Paper Model-img_2523.jpg   OCO-2 Paper Model-img_2518.jpg   OCO-2 Paper Model-img_2522.jpg   OCO-2 Paper Model-img_2527.jpg  

Google Adsense