PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-10-2015, 02:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.45 MB
Back in the USSR - Salyut / Almaz programme

SO, I finally got a grip and started to assemble the Salyut / Almaz programme orbital bases. I'm going to show one every week, as I'm only halfway through the work.

All these models were based on John Jogerst's Salyut 6 model. I repainted and changed them and also rescaled to 1:144.

The first one done is, of course, Salyut 1, launched 1971. It was supposed to be named Zarya, but that was changed a few days prior to the launch.

There were two missions - Soyuz 10 couldn't dock and returned home safely after some struggle. Soyuz 11. The mission lasted for 23 days. During the descent the capsule lost pressure and all three cosmonauts died of suffocation.

The model is Salyut - Soyuz 11 complex.

It can bo downloaded on my blog.

Baza orbitalna Salut 1 + Sojuz 11 – darmowy model | GNIAZDO ?WIATÓW

Old 09-10-2015, 04:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Nice!!! Poor cosmonauts.........I feel sorry for them since I never knew about it till now....
Old 09-10-2015, 06:46 AM

O believe it was first in space casualty. And second on mission. All due to them not wearing spacesuit (not enough space inside the capsule for 3 suited people). It was said Challenger crew might have survived were they wearing spacesuit too.

Since then Soyuz crew were downnumbered to two persons and wear spacesuit (up till today, though the redesigned Soyuzes hold crews of 3 again).

There's a pretty good account of the events on Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_11
Old 09-10-2015, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by godai View Post
O believe it was first in space casualty. And second on mission. All due to them not wearing spacesuit (not enough space inside the capsule for 3 suited people). It was said Challenger crew might have survived were they wearing spacesuit too.

Since then Soyuz crew were downnumbered to two persons and wear spacesuit (up till today, though the redesigned Soyuzes hold crews of 3 again).

There's a pretty good account of the events on Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_11
You are right on the first casualties in space. Practically speaking, I think they are the only ones. Vladimir Komarov's Soyuz 1 was destroyed on impact. Apollo 1 happened on the launch pad. Challenger was destroyed inside the atmosphere, just like Columbia.
By the way, I have to correct you on one thing: The crew of Challenger never had any chance of survival. Even if they would have worn pressure suits. The impact with the ocean after falling down 50 kilometres with terminal velocity is like hitting a concrete wall. After finding back the shuttle cabin on the ocean floor, people discovered some of the on-board oxygen masks appear to have been used, suggesting some of the astronauts were conscious after the breakup. But it would not have made any difference. The end result was a devastatingly brutal impact with the ocean's surface. They might have had a tiny chance if they would have had parachutes but then also, due to the speed and altitude, their chances of surviving the jump would have been absolutely minimal.

The model of the Salyut/Soyuz looks nice, by the way. Nice work.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:17 AM

Thanks PK!

Now, guys, the next in a row is civilian Salyut 4 (after failed DOS-2, unusable Almaz 1 and manned military Almaz 2 (designated as Salyut 3) - the only armed space station that we know of.

The model looks like this:

And like this:

And is assembled here with the Soyuz-18 flight.

It will be available tomorrow morning (9:00 CET) on my blog: http://www.gniazdoswiatow.net/2015/0...-darmowy-model

Two more civilian stations to go (I haven't sat down to the Almazes yet, working on Lunar Orbiting Station - mention in another thread here).
Old 09-23-2015, 01:47 AM

Aaaand here it is, second Interkosmos mission:

Namely the Salyut 6 space base with long-term Sojuz 29 crew docked aft and the shortterm Sojuz 30 crew docked front.

This was the first (and only so far) Polish man in space, Mirosław Hermaszewski is his name. Cool guy, by the way.

This is another take of the complex:

And you can donwload the model,based on work of John Jogerst, free on my blog:

Kompleks orbitalny Sojuz 29 + Salut 6 +Sojuz 30 ? darmowy model | GNIAZDO ?WIATÓW
Old 09-23-2015, 03:32 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Interesting models Godai. Thank you for making them available.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Looks good!

I have built the same configuration any years ago, based on an old kit of ABC (czech edition) of the Saljut and the Sojus from Alfonso (AXM)
Attached Thumbnails
Back in the USSR - Salyut / Almaz programme-sam_2429.jpg   Back in the USSR - Salyut / Almaz programme-sam_2426.jpg   Back in the USSR - Salyut / Almaz programme-sam_2427.jpg  

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 09-30-2015, 02:42 AM

Привет товарищи!

Wednesday and the last Salyut. The configuration presented is that of the last flight from Mir to Salyut 7, with the Kosmos-1686 (actually TKS-4) docked to the transiyion section. The TKS model kinda sucks, but I can't make it much better right now. I only rescaled the on-hull panels to be more true to the original thing.

Dowloadable free on my blog: Kompleks orbitalny Kosmos 1686 + Salut 6 +Sojuz T-15 ? darmowy model | GNIAZDO ?WIATÓW
Old 10-01-2015, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk310149 View Post
Looks good!

I have built the same configuration any years ago, based on an old kit of ABC (czech edition) of the Saljut and the Sojus from Alfonso (AXM)
MK, where did you get this model? I've been trying to get this one and all my efforts are futile so far...