PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-10-2015, 07:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
You'd think that with the drop in oil prices, you'd see a drop in the price of plastic and resin kits since they are petrochemical products. Then again, nothing ever gets cheaper.

As far as today's youth taking up card modeling, that would be a great thing. I fear though -- and not to generalize or stereotype -- the hobby requires too much patience for them. We have raised a generation or two that has little patience. Hobbies aren't about instant gratification. I know there are some talented youngsters who have taken up the hobby, but it's not like in my youth when every boy in the street would run down to the dime store and buy an Aurora Me-109 or P-51 or Spitfire to build.

And now this grumpy old man has to go outside and tell the kids to get off his lawn....
I suspect when relatively inexpensive high-definition 3D printing becomes available, they might be interested. Imagine: Hit "ENTER" and out comes a fully formed, highly detailed replica!

Hmmmm...I could use that, too!

Les (The Voice of Authority -- www,voiceofauthority.net)
Old 12-10-2015, 12:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Yale, I actually started with the 29 cent Aurora airplanes, didn't seriously get into car models until about 63.

As far as the cost of plastic resins, they're somewhat independent of the base oil cost since its the refining process and additives in them that are the real expensive part. Also on the average kit, the printing and assembly of the boxes and instruction sheets probably cost more then the actual model pieces.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Yale, I actually started with the 29 cent Aurora airplanes, didn't seriously get into car models until about 63.

As far as the cost of plastic resins, they're somewhat independent of the base oil cost since its the refining process and additives in them that are the real expensive part. Also on the average kit, the printing and assembly of the boxes and instruction sheets probably cost more then the actual model pieces.
I'm thinking that in the current legal environment, licensing also adds to the cost. You'd think Ford or Boeing et al would be happy to have modelers building copies of their products, but to them, licensing is just another revenue stream.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.06 MB
I remember, probably 15 years ago, the car companies were being very particular about their licensing of models. From what I read at the time, it was mostly overkill on their part so that they could argue they were defending their trademark from encroachment, mostly from fear of the new fangled internet.

I always thought Lockheed, Boeing, etc. would build some good will by making 3D exterior models available for free the way NASA has free models on their website.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
Then there's also the cost of tooling. I don't know all the specifics, but the area I live in had huge numbers of tool & die shops when I was young. There are still a few, but nothing like before. I wonder how the relative cost of producing the hugely detailed molding dies of today's kits compares to the much simpler dies of 30-40 years ago? I recall may kits of my youth had considerable flash in the moldings. That is very seldom seen now, due to higher precision in the dies. With precision & detail come cost.
Google Adsense
Old 12-12-2015, 08:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
What I would like to envision, is a series of x-planes and/or lifting bodies (with interiors) in scale with Ken's excellent X-15 model. There a few pics of a NASA lineup of lifting bodies they did years ago that I would like to re-imagine in paper.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
There is also a great photo of several lifting bodies, 2 X-15's and an F4D together in a hanger at Edwards, for the truly ambitious.

Tags
hl-10, lifting, m2-f3, bodies, m2-f2, versions, instructions, carl, glad, research, hewitts, surfduke, larger-scale, references, cool, takers, model, les, voice, www.voiceofauthority.net, authority, design, easier, subjects, work