PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-08-2015, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
GRACE My first

You know, I've been dreading posting about my progress because I know that as soon as I hit "SUBMIT" I'll get 7 replies with "Oh, you didn't see that? Its been in our gallery all along." :ROFL:

So I did search and I didn't find it and since I'm so new at building I thought that GRACE would be a good start. Launched in 2002, GRACE's twin satellites Tom and Jerry have been chasing one another around Earth for long enough that a follow-on satellite series - aptly named GRACE-FO (love those Germans) is set to launch in 2016ish.

I've been gathering sources and building parts in Publisher at 1/25th scale for a few days now. Here's my progress so far. I'll do a quick test print and fit next to be sure my math made sense. Then its back to the drawing board to create a couple more of the instruments.

I'd love to design it so that the two probes can be connected using a rod/tube of plastic (the correct term fails me in my cold laden delirium). Maybe an internal tube to support the rod through the models. I dunno.
Attached Thumbnails
GRACE My first-grace_parts_showcase.jpg   GRACE My first-15_on_orbit_rendering.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-08-2015, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Maybe an acrylic rod is what you are trying to think of.

Seems like a good idea to represent the connection between the two satellites. Many of the picture of the two GRACE satellites show that kind of representation.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 149.80 MB
Looks good so far
Old 12-16-2015, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Doug. I found a hexagon rod in the curtains section of my hardware store. I would rather have found round - but this will do for now.

Thanks lunger. A couple test builds of the spacecraft bus and I'm off an running on the instruments. As I mentioned, there are several very good photos for reference, but some areas are still going to be a bit of guess work.
Attached Thumbnails
GRACE My first-img_2507.jpg  
Old 12-16-2015, 12:55 PM

Having only built a few models, I haven't yet formed an opinion as to whether I want all my small parts on one page or lots of room to lay things out. What do you guys think of this page. Is it too busy? Would it be easier to cut the parts if they were further apart on several pages?
Attached Thumbnails
GRACE My first-untitled.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-16-2015, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 398.46 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreinmann View Post
Having only built a few models, I haven't yet formed an opinion as to whether I want all my small parts on one page or lots of room to lay things out. What do you guys think of this page. Is it too busy? Would it be easier to cut the parts if they were further apart on several pages?
I think it's fine, any more parts, it would be too busy.
Looking forward to this model.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 509.67 MB
Same here. Anything that would spare me even a single sheet of paper is fine, actually...
Old 12-23-2015, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 149.80 MB
I totally agree sreinmann there has been a model I have been working on and off for years and the instruments have given me the most trouble but we have so many talented modelers here that have given me new ideas on how to finish mine. Maybe next year I will have my first one done. You parts sheet is looking good. Waiting with anticipation to build your awesome rendition of Grace!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:55 AM

Thanks guys. A super glue accident caused me to dump my first prototype, but things are coming along. I'm writing instructions and revising some of my parts - offering optional 2D parts for a more simplistic model.

I'm taking heavy cues from AXM and other designers to offer helpful documentation to new modelers. Maybe too much documentation but we'll see what y'all think.

Here's another WIP teaser.
Attached Thumbnails
GRACE My first-img_2540.jpg   GRACE My first-img_2539.jpg  
Old 12-26-2015, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 406.41 MB
I think your sheet layout is fine. I like to minimize the number of pages to print, but as long as you have room to trim and can identify the parts for assembly, you're doing fine.

If you want to get really anal-retentive about layout, I'll share a useful trick I learned a long time ago in an ad agency I worked in. When setting up larger parts on sheets, lay them out to print in the same orientation they will be assembled. In other words, if you're assembling a rocket with two vertical cylinders, say a first stage and second stage, make sure they have the same orientation on the sheets. Don't rotate one of the parts 90 degrees to make them fit. The reason for this is printers have a slight dimensional error in the direction the paper feeds through the printer because subtle paper slippage occurs, and the dimensions are off. It's not much, around 1-2% but if you're trying to fit parts together with some precision, such as adapters and nosecones, it is small but noticeable.
Google Adsense

Tags
building, grace, progress, love, sources, made, drawing, math, sense, publisher, back, 1/25th, parts, board, quick, fit, days, print, scale, test, delirium, laden, cold, internal, tube