PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-14-2016, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.25 MB
There is an interior model for the Mercury capsule in 1:24, for Sigma 7. I cannot recall where I downloaded it. I am planning to rescale this to 1:18.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason14 View Post
There is an interior model for the Mercury capsule in 1:24, for Sigma 7. I cannot recall where I downloaded it. I am planning to rescale this to 1:18.
Mercsim's plans, maybe? - Oh no, they are meant for much bigger.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:02 PM

Oh, I like that! Alas, I was referring to Surfduke's 1:24 Sigma 7 interior
Old 01-17-2016, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 339.83 MB
Nice project !

When I built my 1:28 scale Soyuz rocket I made it entirely out of paper and cardboard.

Well, let's say 98%, then. The truss section in the middle is copper wire, soldered together.

It's not as accurate and nicely build as I intentionally wanted, but there was a huge time restriction and that deadline was non negotiable.
Anyway, the model ended up being signed by André Kuipers !! ;-)

The scale 1:28 was determined by the available cardboard sheets. I wanted a big model and had the parts printed out as large as possible.
I then roughly cut out each individual part and glued it onto cardboard. I then assembled the model and reinforced it afterwards with more layers
of cardboard. Few people can guess how much glue and cardboard went into this model.........

The welding seams were simulated by wetting a cotton wire with wood glue, then draping it into position. This was easy to do, because the
unpainted model was built up out of white paper with black lines.
Using styrene strips will prove difficult and will be too thick, anyway.

And YES.... I know.....! The colors are wrong. Yes, in these pictures they are. Don't worry, I repainted the whole thing in its correct colors !!!
Bluish-greenish grey and brown-grey orange.
Looks awesome, now.

This model is 1m83 tall (just over 6 feet).
In scale 1:20 it will be 2m56 tall, or almost eight and a half feet.

If you need some advice, you now know who to ask !!
Trust me, you are going to need some advice. This model will be heavy and giving the model a firm internal structure takes some deliberation,
patience and LOTS of cardboard and glue !! ;-)

Also, this model can be taken apart. VERY important if you want to relocate this huge model more than once !!!
You REALYY have to think about this and HOW you are going to do it !!

Cheers,

Erik.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Wow, Erik, that is a gigantic Soyuz! Very nicely made too. Mijn complimenten!
Old 01-17-2016, 12:41 PM

ETG, That is a beautiful build!
Old 01-17-2016, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.75 MB
That is huge. How long did it take?
Old 01-17-2016, 05:04 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Gorgeous build!
Old 01-18-2016, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 339.83 MB
Thank you all.

It's a big model, but personally I don't think it is as accurate and as beautiful as it could be.
I waited until the last moment to start building it because we (my observatory club) were not sure if the two astronauts,
André Kuipers and Lodewijk van den Berg, would both be there, at the symposium.
I then gave myself an extra challenge: to build two more models. So, in less than six weeks I built a scale 1:28 Soyuz rocket,
Revell's 1:72 Space Shuttle (Orbiter, actually), the classic plastic kit, it would be signed that day by Lodewijk, and a large
model of the Soyuz module, of which the three major parts were held together by velcro. This would be used by André to
show us how this spacecraft would return to Earth.

Building the large Soyuz meant that I had to work on it EVERY day, for at least three hours on work days, after work,
and at least six hours on Saturday and Sunday. For six weeks..... 27 hours per week.
And then still I could not add all the small details I wanted to add. I had to do this after the symposium, but at least the pressure
was gone and lots of small stuff was added in the weeks after.
In the pictures the 12 small verniers are missing, but today they are present on the model, ofcourse.
Being a complete model, now, placed on its stand it IS quite an impressive model. That's for sure....! ;-)

Alas, I did not have the super accurate drawings to build this model, yet. I received them very shortly after the symposium !!! }-(
I could build a more accurate version today, if I wanted to. Almost down to the last nut and bolt, but since I now know how much work
it takes (and the REDICULOUS amounts of paper, cardboard and glue...!!!) I don't think I will build such a large model ever again.
Maybe in scale 1:60 or 1:50, but nothing larger than that. I have a life to live, you know...!! ;-)
Because this model was designed to be transported fairly often, for shows and stuff, I had to build a very sturdy model. It can be taken
apart into three separate pieces: the first stage, second stage and the white fairing. And it all had to fit snugly, every time and the
model had to keep its structural strength, too. How I did all of this AND build two other large models, too, all in six weeks.....I don't know.

Oh...yes.... the escape tower at the top and the four silvery control vanes at the bottom can be easily removed, too. They are way too
fragile to be glued on. They would break off during transport, the first time.

For anyone who wants to scratch build it: use smooth, round cotton thread to simulate the welding seams.
I used whatever I had and the results were....well....bad. Please use a wire that will not fluff when wet. Plastic thread is not a good
idea, either. It will not stick well to the paper.

______
Erik

Tags
rocket, paper, internet, 1/20, soyuz, build, model, color, yellowish, clear, fade, works, modelers, paverpol, other, products, intended, wood, which, time, because, finishing, euros, paverpol, 1kg, 2kg, guess, product, my