PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-13-2016, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 589.27 MB
Apollo Era Mobile Launch Platform

Hey all,
I'm wondering if anyone has any photos of what the bottom of the mobile launch platforms looked like during Apollo. I have interface diagrams, but I'm interested in what it actually looked like from underneath. The reason I want this is that I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a Crawler/LUT/SaturnV set, and don't want some things being detailed while others are just assumed or just plain gray. I know that very few people will ever see it, but I will know it's there.
Anyone? Thanks.
Bob
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Anyone? At least what the interfaces looked like for crawler? For the shuttle, the MLPs looked basically smooth, gray. Anyone know if that was what the Apollo LUT bottom plate looked like too?
Old 02-14-2016, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdt85 View Post
Anyone? At least what the interfaces looked like for crawler? For the shuttle, the MLPs looked basically smooth, gray. Anyone know if that was what the Apollo LUT bottom plate looked like too?
Since the Shuttle MLP's were repurposed from the Apollo program (IOW, the same MLP's just minus the towers, and different holes for the SRB's and SSME's vs. the Saturn V's F-1's...) I would expect them to look very similar, again, other than the hole locations.

I found some images of the MLP on the pad and the new Ares I MLP on its storage stands outside the VAB... Did some cursory research looking for a Saturn V image on the the MLP on the pad, but not much luck... but like I said, it was a very cursory search...

The fact that the MLP sits basically directly on top of the crawler during transport, (obviously with some sort of alignment/weight bearing connections, ie pins or pads or whatever connecting the two solidly) but otherwise there would be very little clearance between the two, and thus should be largely smooth (other than the large weight bearing connection points for the hardpoint mounts holding the MLP and vehicle up at the pad, and the requisite connections for propellant supply, water, electrical connections, etc...)

Later! OL J R
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Era Mobile Launch Platform-10-rollout-crawler-cu-note-man-track-dscn3595-useme.jpg   Apollo Era Mobile Launch Platform-140520_crawler2_zpsc8781915.jpg   Apollo Era Mobile Launch Platform-5672942646_f6e0019664.jpg   Apollo Era Mobile Launch Platform-mlp1-bottom.jpg   Apollo Era Mobile Launch Platform-sls-launcher-platform.jpg  

Old 02-14-2016, 06:32 PM

Thanks Luke. Yeah, my research found that they were more concerned about what was on TOP of the MLP vs what was underneath during the Apollo days. Still, if anyone has more info, it would be much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Check out this thread: Apollo Era Crawler
Gene1772 spent a little over two years building one of these.

Curt
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2016, 10:11 AM

Thanks Curt.

Still looking for what the interface to the crawler looked like. The crawler has hydraulic clamps - or what look like them - at the contact points with the platform. There must have been something sticking down on the bottom plate of the launch platform for these clamps to grab onto and to prevent them from otherwise getting crushed by the weight of the stack. Either that, or there were recesses for these clamps to fit into.

Maybe I should stop worrying about it and worry more about what people will see when everything's done.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.31 MB
Greetings BDT 8, The top of the 4 corners of the crawler do offer a fairly well detailed look at the crawler portion of the contact points but that doesn't help you with the launch platform portion. I think the most knowledgeable human outside on NASA on the crawler/Mobile platform would be Mischa who designed the crawler. If you are stumped why not go to his site and see if you can send him a note. He is a very friendly guy and helped me out on many occasions when I was stuck on the crawler. Haven't heard much from him lately but he may still be around. His site is microartwork.com, hope he can help.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:46 PM

Thanks Gene. I may do that.
I'm beginning to think that maybe it doesn't make that much difference, and there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of interest here. It would be impossible to see the interface when the LUT is on the crawler, and would be pretty difficult to see once at the launch pad. If I'm going to work on detailing, best be done on things that can be seen.
Thanks again!
Bob

Tags
looked, apollo, mobile, launch, assumed, things, detailed, gray, bob, era, set, people, plain, diagrams, interested, wondering, interface, platforms, bottom, stages, beginning, putting, photos, platform, underneath