PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Secret tiny-model technique

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pb270050.jpg

Yogi
Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
:D
I don't believe I've ever seen that model before. Where did you find that?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Eternal Member

J - another original done with my low-tech 2-D CAD/pencil. I'm still working on the control console but I can post what I have if there's interest (no directions on this one, just parts and pictures - not exactly an Academy Award nominated subject). Check thread on the other builds for more.
The BSG is just Jay's printed at 16 pages per sheet on plain paper followed by lots of squinting and tweezing.

Yogi
Old 12-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
That's pretty sweet! Can the robot be articulated?
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Old 12-01-2009, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Very clever, Yogi!

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Wyvern.

Gideon - check the other builds for more info. The joints are cylinders glued to the ends of the arm sections in this version. You could articulate the joints by rolling the joint cylinders, then cutting them in half at the line to make two shorter cylinders. Glue those to the ends of the arms sections. Then:
1. cap the bottom of the lower cylinder section with a disk of card,
2. roll another smaller cylinder (axle) to fit inside the arm joints - make sure it's tall enough to extend about 1mm past the top edge of the upper joint,
3. slip the upper joint over the inner cylinder and glue another disk to the top of the axle (take care not to get glue on the outer joint) to retain the assembly.

The wrist joint would be a little more complex, glue a cylinder to the bent arm section to make an axle/pin, insert pint into a hole in the end of the angled arm piece, then cap with a disk of card to lock the joint in place.

The articulation of the tool assembly would just require a series of axles for the two major joints and a cylinder slipped over the existing mounting part for the final joint.

The flat part holding the tools could also be made to slide in and out, add a saddle of card to slip under the main part.

I didn't make the joints movable - just too many of them for a desk model, it would be like spaghetti.

Yogi
Old 12-01-2009, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
I will definitely suggest posting it if you can, Yogi. I would like to give it a shot, just because it's unusual and would fit in with some of the more esoteric models on my desk (an orange Flight Data Recorder and a traffic cone, for two examples).
Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Eternal Member

I'll clean it up and label the parts a bit better ... may take a few days. Busy with some volunteer work and a cleanup and repaint (USAF) of Paragon's CV-22 - popular item with the local teachers for some reason. I'll eventually pass a copy back to the designer for his thoughts.

Yogi

Pattern for the daVinci medical robot is posted in the Toys & Automata section of the downloads (seemed the best category ...?) Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 12-06-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Posted the daVinci robot pattern
Old 12-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Eternal Member

Next up is one for the WISE

WISE should launch this month. The Wide-field Infra-red Survey Explorer is a hydrogen-ice cooled, mega-pixel, four-channel infra-red, 40cm (16in) telescope. It will scan the entire sky in infrared light, picking up the glow of hundreds of millions of objects and producing millions of images. The mission will uncover objects never seen before, including the coolest stars, the universe’s most luminous galaxies and some of the darkest near-Earth asteroids and comets.

The mission site WISE: Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer has a model on the education & outreach page. Did you check it? Done laughing? WISE-in-a-box is not quite right, their WISE is a box. It seems to be a trend as they've done something similar with the Mars and Mercury probes - can't be budget cuts as the models are all volunteer efforts.

Anyway - the box just doesn't cut it for me so:

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pc110003.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pc110004.jpg

Revising to fix some fit issues and work out a simpler strut and bracket system. Rolling the little tubes doesn't excite me so the final result may be flat-glue-to-cardstock parts.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pc110008.jpg

I'll work up a design/build thread shortly.

Yogi
Old 12-11-2009, 10:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Yogi, keep the tubes!
Google Adsense