PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-huygens_surface_color.jpg

Thanks Les,
It irks me that you can find Cassini but not the most significant piece of that mission - the most distant human made object that successfully landed on, and operated from, the surface of another celestial body.

Still fiddling with some graphics - Oh, and I need to write instructions for the last 5 projects as well ...

Yogi
Old 03-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Eternal Member

As far as I can (will, should, ??) go?

This is about enough work on the Huygens - now to buckle down and write some directions. There are a couple of copies out to enthusiasts/experts/skilled modellers - their feedback and comments (and the instructions) should help me get this one ready to post.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-huygensdetail.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-huygensprobes2.jpg

As is, you can build it simple with about 10 parts (something the kids can "soft land" in the sandbox) or just keep adding bits until you're satisfied.

Yogi
Old 03-14-2010, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Kids' Activities

I'm new here, and am enjoying the great exchange of ideas. It was good to learn of your involvement with schoolkids, as I'd speculated along those lines -- and definitely will check out your stomp rockets.

The cats at my house are not compatible with the health and well-being of paper models. So while I can admire the skill and patience of other forum members, it's not likely that I'll ever be able to try any model that's sophisticated. Nevertheless, I enjoy giving simple animal models to small children during my many hours at the library -- and wonder about some group activity there for grade-school kids this summer.

So there I was -- retired -- with plenty of time to devote to noble political causes like reuniting Gondwanaland. And then I stumbled upon paper models ....

Yale
Texas City, Texas

PS -- If any members of this forum should be in Galveston, be sure to visit the Lone Star Flight Museum. It's a wonderful resource for all aviation enthusiasts, not just modelers. And for just a few hundred dollars, the nice folks there will give you a ride in a Stearman, a T-6, a B-25, or a B-17.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Eternal Member

Yale,
Your local teachers will likely trample each other to get to you if you donate some space/aviation models for use in the class room. If you have the time/inclination to run a workshop, Lower Hudson Valley has several kid-friendly projects. I'd recommend keeping it to things you can cut out with scissors and secure with tape or a glue stick. Folding and rolling cylinders and cones are the basic skills.
Yogi (Rodinia forever!)
Old 03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Eternal Member

Compulsively Finishing Up

The Viking prototypes are school classroom ceiling-hangers - but I figured I needed to do one for the Planetarium to complement the Phoenix Lander and Mars Rover. Of course, Phoenix was built at 1:12 scale to get close to the Rover's 1:15 scale - so Viking needed to grow.

A bit of work on needed detail and fixes to fit problems (twice as big made them noticeable) and here you go.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-viking1-12.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-vikinglander.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-vikinglandertop.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p3160004.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p3160005.jpg

Drop Viking and Huygens off on Friday when I do some ISS maintenance. I'll post some durability comments when I get done there.

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 03-16-2010, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Very nice! I can't wait to get started on it. All the various landers have always been fascinating to me, and Viking has always been conspicuously absent from paper modeling.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Eternal Member

Viking should be up at Lower Hudson Valley by now. I will get them uploaded here as well shortly along with Huygens.

Yogi
Old 03-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Eternal Member

Working on Mars

And a quickie for the Planetarium - 1:12 scale so it's close but not quite a match for Erik's 1:15 rover. Could enlarge the scale, but the Phoenix and Viking landers are 1:12, so ...

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-mini-rover.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-sojournerrover.jpg

Yogi
Old 03-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Eternal Member

Planetarium Display Cases

And for all of us who like to build, but don't have a lot of display room (lots of books already fill the shelves and then there's she who does not dust such things) I offer a solution.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pjc-display1.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pjc-display2.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pjc-display3.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-issonorbit.jpg
current set of displays

Got to be a school, library, or other organization in your area that could use a display of your models in their work. It also works the models hard - these get a lot of looks every day - and even more when the lobby fills before a planetarium show. IPMS it ain't, but then I don't think I'd place well at a show anyway.

Yogi (functional and recognizable, but not artistic)
Old 04-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Eternal Member

When last we left our intrepid ...

So to consolidate, update, summarize and blather. Actually had some half-way busy weeks. Launched straw rockets with a class at the Pensacola Adult High School, got through the initial workup on Phobos-Grunt (separate thread in the design section).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pg-fitarticle.jpg

Final updates, build, and posting to follow. Built "something completely different" for "she who is helping to write, learning lines for, etc. a new play." An old house in New Orleans appears to be an important element so:

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-bad_neighborhood.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-batesraykeim.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-rosecottagefg.jpg

Two from Ray Keim's ghost houses and an FG Emerson House, plus an FG Homestead.

Then, we're coming up on Yuri's Night (12 April 1961 - first human in orbit). The Pensacola Junior College Planetarium is having a function Friday night - 9 April so I thought I'd make them a presento ...

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-vostok_1.jpg

It's Leo's Vostok-1 in 1:62 ping-pong ball scale (I really don't like making spheres). Well designed kit that goes together very fast (especially when using said PPB). I did use a silver Sharpie - but that doesn't really count as painting, does it? Call it very mixed media. Assuming some handling, I only did a few of the antennae.

Yogi (looking forward to next week's installment of NOVA)
Google Adsense