PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Hot and dry

The Solar Probe(s)

Wings out is "normal"
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4050015.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4050016.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4050018.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4050019.jpg

Encounter configuration on right - hiding behind the sun shield

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4130020.jpg
Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Eternal Member

To baldly go ... (works either way for me)

Always happy to oblige Chris.

So, other significant Mercury probes would include the first, Mariner 10, and the next, ESA's Beppi-Colombo mission. Found a few pix, but not enough to do a quick design so I passed on (maybe do later).

Venus is currently orbitted by the ESA Venus Express, another box but the spacecraft itself is a box. Some decent graphics and nice detail on the ESA model. Missing is the Magellan, first probe to map the surface of Venus in detail. I found a commercial model, but was unimpressed with the detail and the fidelity (just looked wrong). So, Magellan ended up being another scratch build (posted at the LHVCC).

Venus Express
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p3250028.jpg
Magellan
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4180001.jpg

Of course, the various Mariner Venus and Venera probes are missing - I haven't found any models or good (full) sets of drawings (another to do later...)

On to the Pale Blue Dot! Had no clue as to which of the hundreds of significant satellites to do - so I didn't. Passed right on to:

Mars. This was easy. Did a Ton/E te Groen Rover (1:15) with a few detail mods (and had a redo as the first was immediately hijacked by one of my teachers). Followed that with a Polar Lander (1:24) modified to a (close to) Phoenix configuration - had to do another (at 1:12 to better match the Rover) for the same reason as the Rover. Of the three orbiters, the Reconnaissance orbiter has the highest profile. Unfortunately, it's also the one without a published model - so I did (posted also with LHVCC). Slightly wiser this time, I made three MRO models (counting the prototype) so I have one left for the Solar System tour set.

Rover at 1:15
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p3200008.jpg
1:12 Polar Lander/Phoenix
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p5110005.jpg
MRO 1:48
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4240005.jpg

Both the ESA Mars Express (ESA puts out a fairly good model, graphics not quite as good as the Venus Express) and the Mars Odyssey are in orbit now (NASA aerobox model is all that's available); and ESA/Russia is preparing a landing on Phobos - the Phobos Grunt mission (with a name like that I gotta build it eventually, alas no model yet and sparse info). However, I was getting funny looks from "she who's opinion matters most" so I decided to move on.

Things might be getting sparse out here - but there's cool stuff ahead: asteroids, comets, gas giants, and beyond ...
Old 06-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Eternal Member

Don't Panic -

Still hot, started moving my stuff inside to the game table (otherwise it's the dark of the morning only for modeling in the garage).

So, that seemed like enough for Mars. The NEAR mission that orbited, photographed, and landed on the asteroid Eros always fascinated me. So, I built the little JPL box and added enough detail so it looked a bit more like the probe. Had to do two here also since the first one was quickly claimed. I've added some 3-D detail to most of the models I've found. Simple equipment boxes, raised panels, instruments, and propulsion. The challenges have been finding good pictures/diagrams to work from and then whether to create a supplemental page of parts or just to draw it up the old fashioned way and bash it together. I usually ended up doing it by hand, occaisionally printing additional pages to get the graphics, textures and colors needed.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p3200004.jpg

Still need to do the DAWN (JPL model - needs detail) and Deep Space One missions (Ton) to asteroids.

While I was doing the small bodies, I found JPL's gorgeous Deep Impact (now EPOXI for a second rendezvous). Something about slinging a big copper slug into a comet at the speed of heat was just too cool. Not only was it great science - it was smashing things just to see what would happen. Very little to add here, though it needed barrels for the star tracker and some equipment boxes.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p3250032.jpg

And, Stardust (JPL) and Giotto (ESA) are on the to-do list for comet missions. Both models look to require a bit of added detail.

A note on displays. I tried to locate a significant image and an explanatory graphic from the web. That was printed on card stock and either folded into a base (rover/lander) or glued to a thin board/plywood. Spacecraft are easy to attach - rockets with a vertical dowel up a nozzle, space probes by slipping a flat part (usually solar array) into a split in the end of a thin dowel. This also allows handling the model, which I think is very important. If you can't touch it it might as well be CGI.

A spacecraft for Jupiter was easy, Pioneer 10/11, Voyager (grand tour coming up later), and Galileo (now ashes in Jupiter's atmosphere). NASA JPL has a very nice Galileo. I did add a few 3-D pieces, mostly instruments (little boxes). For some reason they spend a lot of time and effort on struts and whatnot, then use a flat silhouette for the instruments - the whole reason the critters exist. Anyway, as I said before a few boxes and some crayons rectified the matter.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p3200003.jpg

The Pioneers (10/11 by Ton) also make a nice contrast here for the different generations (and the sizes) of probes. The Pioneer was actually the first probe I built after doing several rockets - perfect starter with good detail but not too many parts or fiddly bits.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p3200002.jpg

Saturn was also a no brainer with Cassini - both the simple and "complex" models from NASA JPL. The complex model is not very - but there's plenty of information available to add instrument and other detail (so I did). The simple model certainly is - but it's resting cheerfully in a classroom so that's a happy thing (joy, joy).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p3200005.jpg

To be continued ...

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 06-18-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Eternal Member

OK - Panic!

JPL's complex Cassini model was sort of complex - but not in terms of detail. Fortunately, there's plenty of information available to add instrument and other detail (so I did). Filled out the flat panels that should have been boxes, extended the magnetometer boom to full length, did 3-D for the tanks, and of course filled out the instruments.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4030012.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4030010.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4030011.jpg

Uranus and Neptune are still mostly blank, with only the Voyagers having done a flyby. I spent a lot of time staring at Ton's Voyager - it's beautiful but also complex (and even more so if I downsized it to 1:48 to match the rest of the probes). My courage failed me, so I did my own Voyager, not much more complex than Ton's Pioneer (I also had many of the parts already done, since the Magellan Venus probe was built with a lot of leftover Voyager parts). Posted at Jon Leslie's LHVCC e-gift shop. Forgive me Ton, I will do your Voyager justice (eventually).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p5030002.jpg

The no-longer-a-planet Pluto does have a probe enroute - the New Horizons spacecraft. Vaughn Hoxie did a nice model that can be easily modded to add a little more 3-D to the instruments. Just print off another copy of the model and cut/paste to make the parts.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6040455.jpg

U Colorado must have changed their server; the model is now at http://lasp.colorado.edu/~hoxie/New%20Horizons%20Model.pdf and http://lasp.colorado.edu/~hoxie/Model%20Instructions.pdf

And, of course, the Pioneer and Voyager probes also cover the outer reaches on their interstellar missions. Currently moving through the solar heliopause shock wave - and generating fundamental new science (they aren't flying quite in accord with Newton's gravity). See Pioneer Anomaly - What We Do | The Planetary Society

So, we turn back to the small blue marble ...
Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Eternal Member

Vaughn Hoxie's home page at the University of Colorado is Home Page for Vaughn Hoxie . The links to the New Horizons model and instructions are working from there now. If anybody knows the Ninfinger/Niels/Int'l List of Scale Model Related Sites/etc. folks feel free to let them know about the UC server change (fix their busted links).

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 06-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Eternal Member

One small slip for (a) man ...

Looking at Earth/Moon projects, I settled on starting with the telescopes. Cosmology/astronomy fascinates me. Even after seeing the various Hubble builds done by my betters, I decided to start with that. I went with Ton's intermediate Hubble with (as usual) a little kit bashing to add the bump plates and grapple fixtures from his expert model. Still haven't added his latest mod, the soft capture and docking system since that would preclude setting the 'scope down on the only flat surface remaining on the model. Might end up mounting it suspended like cdavenports great build - probably build something to hold it over a base (Pillars of Creation graphic). Trick is to make it easily removeable so the kids can handle it. Lots of places to find this model - I picked it up from hubblesite.org . Most of the telescopes I've found are at the mission teams' sites, not at NASA or JPL model pages. The NASA (or ESA) pages do provide a link to the mission site.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6060459.jpg

Anyway, decided to follow that up with the next generation James Webb Space Telescope. The NASA JWST model was a bit of a disappointment. Basic structure and kit design was OK, but it lacks detail (for no good reason) and the parts are not well fitted. I did one and was unhappy enough to do a redesign. Kept the basic structure the same (so as not to have to write instructions, lazy bugger that I am) but added some needed parts, moved some around, and added graphics. Found the basic model at The James Webb Space Telescope . Still tweaking my version.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6150454.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6150456.jpg

I think my theme is now the search for extraterrestrial planets - so Kepler (just launched) was next. Kepler's an IR telescope designed to find planets. The model is basically well made and interestingly designed. However, the spacecraft bus has almost no surface detail - and no reason not to. Missing parts are the equipment boxes, star trackers, and some omni-antennae. Should get that one done tomorrow. Downloaded it from the Kepler education pages at http://kepler.nasa.gov/ed/sim/index.html . The NASA Discovery Missions site is another good node for finding models, follow the education links. DISCOVERY ::: MAIN HOME PAGE ::: Welcome to Unlocking the Mysteries: NASA's Discovery Program

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6190456.jpg

Next on the list is Spitzer - it's out of coolant, so less sensitive, but will still be working for several more years in its "warm" observation phase. It's another IR telescope like Kepler and has several exo-planet "finds" to its credit. Found a Landbergen (E. te Groen) model at the CalTech mission site Spitzer Space Telescope - select features from the menu.

I also found an ESA model for COROT, another IR telescope with several "finds." Looks like it has nice graphics - we'll see about detail as we go. The model is at the French Space Agency site, CNES // COROT \\ ; or you can find it through several of the links sites like Ninfinger, Neils, or Hamanaga.

And so we come to the end of today's saga - except for a few random efforts to design something for the stomp rocket (a fat ARES I should work) or modify a design for an easy kid's build (seeing a pattern in my ADD?). Ah well, I'll post more detail on individual builds if there's interest.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6150459.jpg

More to follow - some bat-time, same bat-channel.

Yogi
Old 06-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Eternal Member

Kepler-maniac

Finished up the Kepler build - little boxes, other little bits 'o paper and card - somebody stop me before I snap!

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6200454.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6200456.jpg

I've been continuing these builds at 1:48 scale (no good reason, just inertia). Now wondering if these wouldn't work better in little hands at 1:24 - or whatever scale gives them a 6-10" model. Probably should be using the larger scale and 110# paper. Of course, that means I have to build them again ...
Old 06-20-2009, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
Yogi,

Keep 'em comin'. I'm following this thread intently. Don't think a lack of replies means nobody is looking. I am watching and admiring your work. My son and I did the Kepler model as a part of a NASA program he participated in and it was our first build. I am currently working on manned launch vehicles (Gemini Titan II at the moment) but never really considered probes and satellites until seeing your work. You're making my "to build" list longer every time I see more pics.

Blessings,
Sean
Old 06-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Yogi,
Don't think a lack of replies means nobody is looking. I am watching and admiring your work.
Me too! I must say, you have been busy. I wish I had 1/4 the motivation you are displaying.

I have been wanting to update my blowrockets to represent real space rockets, and other flying objects, including some blowplanes (knowing nothing about aircraft or flight)...but I will try (all designs taken in order of my ability).

Old 06-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Eternal Member

Gideon, Phil,
I'm always happy to help. There might be a lot on the build list, but none of the one's I've been working take more than a couple hours (uniterrupted time - total depends on "she who must be entertained" and the TV schedule).

Phil - you might try one of the "straight" rockets (constant diameter stages, not fat bits) and experiment with the sizing to get it down to the one-page rocket & launch tube like your other blow rockets. For a starter aircraft, there's a flat glider in the lesson booklet and in the "stomp-straw rocket plans plus" file on Jon Leslie's site (misc dowloads at the bottom). Slide 13 (or around page 30 in the book). Try printing it out on card and use the sides of the triangular fuselage beam to attach your "rocket tube" (or build it as is, add straw, and use a second, smaller diameter straw as a launch tube).

Yogi - quick and dirty
Google Adsense