PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
And a little something to defend Jellystone against those "bear" bombers being discussed over on the Aviation Section.

Attachment 47837

Nike-Zeus was an early anti-ballistic missile developed from the Nike series of surface-to-air missiles (SAM). Defense in the 1950s was still thinking in terms of the 1000-plane raids of World War II and turned to nuclear tipped SAMs. The idea was to lob a nuke (5-40 kiloton dial-a-bomb) into the middle of the enemy formation and blast them all at once (and seriously singe whatever was underneath). Eventually, someone realized you wouldn't use large formations to deliver nukes - one plane to a city (or maybe send two if you really cared). The only formations were cells of a few aircraft that closed up for mutual support to penetrate defense belts, then dispersed to individual targets.

The Nike-Zeus was developed in the early 1960s specifically to intercept ballistic missile warheads. It was extensively tested and demonstrated the capability to close to within 200 feet of an incoming re-entry vehicle (a fact not stressed by critics of current anti-ballistic missile systems). With a 400 kiloton warhead (well over 20 times the yield of the nukes used on Japan to end WWII) 200 feet was a definite hit - and we actually set the damn things off during live fire tests back then ...

Sized to fire off from the 1/2 inch stomp rocket launcher.

Yogi (poking bear with stick not recommended ...)
O.M.G.... we'd better fly good 'n' high Yogi... Great work you're doing here as is the norm for you my friend
Old 06-14-2010, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Mike, check with mbauer for the SaturnV stomp rocket. I think the whole set is up at ecardmodels.
I've done a little SaturnV from Lower Hudson Valley (enlarged Burke design from the LUT kit) in paper and set it up for the straw rocket launcher (before it went to a school for display). Didn't work very well because I didn't put a straw sized thrust tube in it. Without something to confine the pressure, the air just expands into the volume of the rocket. It's on the left in the last picture in my first post in this thread.
Yogi
Hi Yogi,

Thanks for the free advertising! Most of all Thank you for all of your help, my rockets would never have been if it wasn't for you!
I sent the rockets to you as a small payment for your help!

Wasn't expecting you to post a build thread on them! Wow!! Thank you!

Hi Mike,
Yes, they are listed at ecardmodels.com, Chris was nice enough to list them!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 06-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Yogi,

The Saturn V you tried to fly is my design! Now I expect you to get it right (so I can shamelessly rip you off and fly my own model...) ;-)

Mike
Old 06-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Fly real high Peter - them buggers pop off with some ferocious EMP! Never underestimate the bear ...

MBauer - best kind of help, I blather and you do all the hard work. But, if it gets us one more future scientist/engineer I'll be happy - OK also happy if someone just has some fun with the idea.

Other-brother-Mike - In your case, thanks for designing a superb little rocket. The Saturn V scaled up nicely to just over a foot and made an elementary school teacher (local NASA teacher liaison, space camp graduate, fourth runner-up in the "teacher in space" competition - bitter sweet honor, that) very happy. Without a small tube (straw) to contain the pressure it only went up about 10 feet, but it made a heck of a POP when it came of the tube. I've built several of Ton's SaturnVs, and 1bs, for the rocket gardens but those aren't candidates for fliers. Key to the stomp rockets is enough graphics to look good while being as simple with as few parts as possible - that way you can launch without guilt since you can build spares and replacements easily.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 06-15-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Eternal Member

Morning Test Flights

Hot and sticky - so outside for some fiddling before it gets hot enough to melt me.

Atlas stomp rocket will need some small fins to stabilize it for a hard launch. It gets about 20-30' before going random.

Did some fiddling around with airplanes - it's easy to make a nice glider with a little judicious adjustment of the balance and trim. The stomp launcher works OK for it IF you launch softly to the glider's flying speed. A hard launch puts the glider totally outside its trim range.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-glider2.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-glider1.jpg

Of course if you build something with wings that's designed to go faster:

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-bomarc04.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-bomarc03.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-bomarc02.jpg

It flew so well (stable and fast) I haven't had the guts to launch it hard. All the way across the yard with a light step at the pictured launch angle. It'll either end up in the road or in the bay - either would be not-good. Small, stiff, and flat flying surfaces. Of course, once I build a couple more we'll have something for range safety to play with ...

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 06-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
ooohhhhh cool! VIDEO!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Arrrrgh... Man... Want...!

Yogi,... You're killing me. I can't get to building fast enough and now you come out with this? We have a BOMARC at the National Museum of the US Air Force here in Dayton, and I always thought it was really cool. Now I simply must have one!

When will you be making it available, sir?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 06-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Eternal Member

Well, Chris. I guess I'm just a techno-troll. It's hard enough to grab the camera and take a few shots during a build. Setting up and shooting the launch (I think my little digital camera can shoot video-no sound) is too much like work. You can lay raw eyeballs on it for about $5 in PVC and an hour or two to cut out and build one...

Bomarc (the missile, not the modelling artiste) is a good flier (not that bomarc may not be a good pilot, I just don't know him that well) - but, like all airplanes, touchy to rig stable. The rockets have such small control surfaces (fins) that you don't have to be very precise so long as the weight distribution is OK - nose stays in front and everything else follows.
Airplanes have so much aerodynamic surface that any little adjustment makes for a lot of force when it comes off of the launch tube. So long as it's weighted correctly it will go, but it may go screaming off in all directions if the wings/tail are just a bit off of neutral.

The problem is trim speed. Control surfaces that are adjusted for a nice, long glide are way too extreme when it comes off the rail at a much higher velocity. I usually set the glide trim by either tossing the gliders or using a short piece of tubing like a blow gun. With the actual launcher, I've been launching fairly flat (10 degress or so) and get a pretty radical pull up and climb that (if I've got things right) ends in a stall and drop into a glide.

The alternative is to zero out all the surfaces and tweak the balance (lump of clay under the removeable nosecone, see previous posts for picture of clay booger on glider's nose) until it flies with no trim needed. Maybe tomorrow ...

Yogi

BTW, Mike - will post this one in the Aviation downloads shortly. Looking forward to seeing some of these built and posted in the virtual model show thread. - ?

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 06-15-2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Uploading completed.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Eternal Member

Bomarc (the missile) is posted

Posted in the Aviation downloads.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-bomarc04a.jpg

Yogi
Old 06-16-2010, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Bomarc (the modeler) downloaded it

Nice one Yogi. I left a comment for you on the download you might find interesting.

Mike