PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Bomarc caricature (the model, not the modeller)

Thanks Mike - I'm happy that it is recognizable. The wing position on the B model would have required a lot of weight in the nose, one more part and more weight ...

I've limited myself a bit by trying for a minimum parts count because, ultimately, the stomp rockets are disposable. Even more so than Estes rockets these are prone to catch in trees, land in a really wet patch of grass (not even Krylon can save it), hit the odd wall or fence, end up on the roof (or in the rafters depending on your location and the tolerance of the landlord), be attacked by hawks, be stolen by badgers, or abducted by aliens.

Yogi
Old 06-16-2010, 04:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
.....or abducted by aliens.
I hate when that happens! Those little SOB's never give anything back.....

Being a "Bomarc baby", I was born not too far from the Suffolk AFB Bomarc site at the Suffolk County Hospital. My dad was working for Boeing as a field rep on the Bomarc program there. On my original New York Birth certificate my dad's occupation is just listed as "Missiles". He was at McGuire for awhile TDY, but left long before the fire happened. Outside of the McGuire site, the Suflok site is probably the most intact today as it was taken over by the Suffolk County Police Department and is still used as their impound lot. Google Earth tells the tale:

They use the shelters to store all the unclaimed cars. A version of "swords into plowshares" I suppose.....

Mike
Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomarc View Post
I hate when that happens! Those little SOB's never give anything back.....

Being a "Bomarc baby", I was born not too far from the Suffolk AFB Bomarc site at the Suffolk County Hospital. My dad was working for Boeing as a field rep on the Bomarc program there. On my original New York Birth certificate my dad's occupation is just listed as "Missiles". He was at McGuire for awhile TDY, but left long before the fire happened. Outside of the McGuire site, the Suflok site is probably the most intact today as it was taken over by the Suffolk County Police Department and is still used as their impound lot. Google Earth tells the tale:

They use the shelters to store all the unclaimed cars. A version of "swords into plowshares" I suppose.....

Mike
Hey... Mike, i thought you was going to try and tell us the above picture was taken from a mini-cam strapped to one of these ace stomp rockets :D
Yogi.... might you try this some day A tiny cheep Digi-cam with a button type battery {stripped down to fit some how } would make for some great pictures of your good self at the launch site
Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Eternal Member

Nice idea Peter, if I had a little camera. I suffer from terminal cheapness - I can spend money on things I'll use but I've learned I have a lot of enthusiasms that are very expensive on a dollar spent per minute of use basis. I could go broke real fast if it wasn't for that character flaw.

There are several Bomarc launch sites around, but very few of the missiles on display. Part of the reason is that they made really good (fast, high altitude) targets after they were retired. The other reason is that parts of the missile were made from a thorium-magnesium alloy - thorium is a very low level radioactive material and is commonly found in beach sand, but there's a lot of paranoia out there. Had a Bomarc (missile, not Mike) in the Liza Jackson Park around here many years ago until it was removed for that reason - a shame, really.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 06-16-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Eternal Member

Trimming the missiles for flight

The Bomarc (missile, not modelling artiste) is turning out to be a great flier. It does require a little tuning to get the best out of it.

Trimming the missile for flight.

The model can be made of 65 or 110lb card, the heavier stock will provide more durability with the inevitable hard landings. Coating is recommended as just one landing in the wet grass will really trash the graphics (I used the basic Krylon Clear spray). Here's a tip, spray the nosecone separately since it will need to come off for reshaping or replacement after landing (don't ask ...)

The model should be launched with an easy stomp on the launcher bottle - this will provide a good launch while not greatly exceeding the model's best glide (trim) speed. Start soft and work your way up, observing how your missile behaves. You can do your initial flights just using a short length of 1/2" PVC pipe like a blow gun ... 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - POOT!

Control surfaces should be as straight as possible - stability will come by trimming the center of gravity (CG). Any deflection of the tail surfaces or wings will result in greatly amplified forces when launched from the stomp rocket launcher. This can be entertaining, but will not give you a long, stable flight.

Balance the model: put a dowel on your workbench and set the model crosswise on the dowel (start under the ramjet engines). Slowly roll the dowel toward the high end until the model tips down - note this point. Now, roll the dowel back until the model tips again - your center of gravity is halfway between these two points. Check it by balancing the model on the edge of a thin steel ruler - the flat surface provides just enough support for stability while being thin enough to precisely locate the CG.

The model seems to fly best with the CG in the middle of the markings on the top of the wings (USAF and winged star). Most likely, you'll need to add some weight to the nose. You can glue a couple of thick card disks to the front of the pressure tube or stick a bit of clay there - where it will be hidden under the removeable nosecone. In the unlikely event you need to add weight to the tail, your best option is probably to put some bits of clay (equally split right and left) into the tail ends of the ramjet engines.

Now go out there and have some fun - you can invite the (littler) kids, too.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 06-17-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-17-2010, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Next time the lad and I are at "Grandpa Camp" we're going to stomp-launch some Bomarcs. My dad will get a real kick out of this.....

Mike
Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
I'd LOVE to see a more detailed (i.e., display) Bomarc....

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)
Old 06-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Eternal Member

Outstanding, Mike! My job here is done ...

Les,
I'll likely make a few tweaks to improve the fidelity (horizontal tail alignment, ramjet shapes, optional ramjet pylons). Without a lot of really good photos (see post 204) or blueprints it's not worth obsessing over. And, of course, if you do a really detailed model you'll need the erector/launch rail to make the display ....

Yogi
Old 06-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Eternal Member

I Blame You All

Ok, more Bomarc detailing (as he succumbs to pressure from superior modellers).

Most obvious place to start is with the ramjets - they are a signature part of the look of the missile. The actual shape is not terribly complex as aerospace vehicles of the era were mostly skinned with flat sheets, so surfaces are developable conics.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-bomarc05.jpg

For the purposes of a stomp rocket (making a replacement or letting little hands do the work) we've gone from 3 pieces (1-roll cylinder, 2-glue band inside front to make a shelf to locate the spike, 3-roll cone for spike) to a much more complex arrangement.

1-roll conic for exhaust nozzle which will nest inside to connect to the next section (still checking references, several shots show a variable nozzle while others have it one smooth piece);
2-roll conic for aft section (attached to the forward section with tabs which meet fairly smoothly because of the geometry);
3-roll conic for forward section;
4-glue band (curved conic) inside front lip to locate the spike;
5-roll cone for spike, then carefully insert (angled and squeezed a little) into the front inlet that is smaller than the base of the spike and push it down to settle on the shelf band inside, you need the band to locate the spike in order to keep it aligned (otherwise you could just push the spike in from the large end until it seated - hopefully square and the same length as on the other engine - not likely);
6-thick card core for engine pylon, made shorter than the pylon so the leading and trailing edges can be pulled in to a sharp edge;
7-fold pylon around thick card core (6) and glue slanted edge to forward section of engine.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-bomarc06.jpg

Durability may be a problem also, as the pylon attachment has a shorter gluing surface than gluing the simple cylindrical engine along its full length. Pylon standoff also gives lever arm to any impacts, multiplying the force.

More could be done adding little stencils (not enough operational photos and the displayed missiles have them painted over) and a few more panel lines. As many circular formers as desired could also be added to lock in the shape - easy to make as the sizes only need to be approximate since they'll slip into the conic like a funnel. Just make them bigger than the front opening and smaller than the aft. Oh, and put them in before assembling the engine sections. I suppose you could also add some graphics to one of the formers to simulate the burner nozzles ...

We'll see just how many little pieces I finally add - may be left up to the creativity of the individual modeller.

On to the tail group.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 06-19-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Eternal Member

An interesting day, so far. I went down to help with a summer science camp at the Emerald Coast Science Center. We built rockets - and launched them - and ran around chasing the ducks ... The kids were great but the 6-8 year old range does exhibit classic Brownian motion.

The quick script went like:
Who wants to be an astronaut/engineer/pilot?
You're going to do it all today with your own rocket.
Cut out the parts for a one-piece, rolled and crimped stomp rocket. Show & do for just about each step (each cut, roll, tape seam, crimp/smash top, tape top, cut out fins, color your rocket). Tailor the complexity of the rocket and the time for the motor skill development of the "engineers."
Then we went outside with me as range safety (nobody gets near the launcher while our "launch controller" is loading his rocket; nobody stands forward of the firing line).
I used three launchers to start with and we tried to land on Mars (my usual 5-gallon bucket with a picture of Mars on it). Everybody launched and the closest was the winner.
Then we launched to see who's rocket went the farthest. Everybody launched, ran down to get their own rocket (except for the one distracted by the ducks), and the longest flight was the winner.
Finally, I got out two more stable launchers and set them up identically for "races." Two racers load their rockets, 3-2-1-STOMP, and the longest wins. Rejoin the line and the next pair is up. Cycled through a couple of times, then did the same thing except we raced to see who's rocket went highest.
As they got tired (which made the regular class leader/teacher very happy) we finished with some science. She (5 foot something and 100 lbs) and I (never mind, just significantly heavier) raced rockets using a heavy and light rocket. Amazingly, the light rocket went higher regardless of who was stomping.

The 2-liter bottles held up well. I had two spares for each launcher but they weren't needed - didn't break any "rocket motors."

And so home, to take a nap (me, not the kids).

Yogi
Google Adsense