PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-13-2010, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Yogi,

Woke up with an idea. Since I couldn't sleep after that, I drew the thing out.

New way of doing the internal PSI tube. Now it is a plug. Instead of being on the outside, it slips on the inside. Plug will use internal formers for mounting to inside of rocket shell. Will be just as long as the pressure tube. Plug is lighter, than the thrust tube.

Just like the carbon fiber shaft assembly, except it is made from cardstock and mounted to the rocket.

Raining like crazy so no way to test unless I print the test rocket from yupo, which I think I might.

BTW-I did the math after finding/using a pipe volume calculator and it looks like the launcher is approx. 0.24501 liters [18" + 6" + 30" long pieces]. The rocket with a 12" thrust tube is .05445 liters. So the total is 0.299460 liters as the rocket clears the launch pipe.

Will do a volume check next on the bottle after stomping by the method you have previously mentioned. To see how much of the 2-liter is really being used.

New way of doing PSI Plug removes the inside volume of the rocket. Problem is I don't know if it will hold up to the pressures... Already a couple of fixes planned it it doesn't.

If it works the next step will be to turn it into a platform the rocket sits on.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited by mbauer; 07-13-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Thanks Don. I'm still watching in awe at the skills displayed on the forum - I think I'll keep to my niche for a while.

Mike,
Not quite clear on the concept. It sounds like you're using a long tube for the pressure vessel that remains with the launch tube and separates from the flying rocket? That would make it a drop-away first stage. Not sure how that will ultimately affect the rocket's performance but it should be interesting.

Yogi
Old 07-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Eternal Member

Short contract

So, done a little early with the exercise vetting.

A little something more current for Friday's workshop.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-spacex03.jpg

Just about anything that is (or will fit around) a tube can be launched. In this case I just reduced the Falcon 9 by 65% to get it down to something just a little bigger than the 1/2 inch PVC tube's (.84in/21mm) outer diameter. Obviously deleted the engines and eliminated all internal formers but the top one - serves as the pressure bulkhead. Also took the "corner" engine fairings and creased them to make fins. Addendum-needs larger fins to fly well; might modify or just leave it as a display piece.

Mike, saw your post. Looks like a neat idea to both extend the duration of the impulse and potentially reduce the weight of the rocket (assuming you build the lower section lighter/un-reinforced) with the only strong structure concentrated around whatever the rod pushes on.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 07-16-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I like your build log, John. It represents a lot of skill, talent, and application.

Don
Ditto... Totally agree ! Great stuff here from our man YOGI !!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Eternal Member

Rocket Races

Thanks, Peter.

Finished up another session with the larval rocket scientists. A little physics (how does a rocket work, how can we make one?); build a basic tube stomp rocket; and we're off to the races.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-rocketloading.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-rocketlaunch.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-rocketooh-ahhh.jpg

Pretty good crew - a couple of the mini-engineers almost made the Mars Landing (5-gallon bucket at 50 feet) and the long-range contest got out to 80 feet. Group dynamics precluded doing single elimination on the rocket races so we just stomped some more and went in for a cool-down.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-rocketracerigging.jpg
Rig to launch two rockets with the same stomp for heat races. Winners advance in single elimination until you get an overall winner - probably work best within a group that knows one another (family, school class, neighborhood) but less appropriate for a pick-up group at a short summer science camp.

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
First, I think the term "larval rocket scientists" deserves a round of applause and laughs. :-D
Second, It looks like the kids and yourself had a good time. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
what a wonderful person, investing in the future of engineering. i applaud you.
On hold: SS Heart of Gold
Old 07-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks for the comments - though everyone on the forum likely does a bit of this everytime they talk about or show their efforts.

Stomp rockets do help catch short attention spans with the pace of activity. A little concentration while building is repaid with jumping, running, and things flying through the air.

Yogi (ya' work with what ya' got ...)
Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Eternal Member

Clearing the shelves - again

Dropped off the space station set (Salyut, Skylab, MIR, ISS, Bigelow inflatable) along with the 1:100 scale Falcon 9/Dragon at the Emerald Coast Science Center. Up on a high shelf for now, we'll see how long it takes for the little fingers to eat-em-up.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-stationset.jpg

Did a few more stomp rockets for the workshops. Bigger fins on the Falcon9 better matches the size of the engine fairings and flies much better. Some graphics on one for the Science Center. And, if you stack two of the one-page rockets using a joiner strip in the middle, add good sized fins, and add a nosecone cribbed from the Bomarc you get a very high performance rocket. I almost lost it in the top of my 100+ foot pine tree on the first test with an easy stomp - need to find an open field and see how high it'll go.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-rocketset.jpg

Decided to make a more permanent display for the planets I use in the workshops - relative sizes of Earth, Mars (pretty small) and the Moon (really smaller). Also found some really interesting photo detailed globes that included all the Galilean Moons - pretty sure the link came from somebody's post on the forum (thank you, whoever you are!). The first is destined for the Emerald Coast Science Center, the Jupiter moons set may end up at the Planetarium ...

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-earthmoonmars.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-moonset.jpg

Yogi
Old 08-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Eternal Member

Continuing ...

Got lucky on the last (two) tropical disturbances and the oil leak is stopped, so onward.

A little bit of building but more time spent staring at the dang confuser screen.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-stubbyrkt01.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p1010096.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-x51waverider.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-hypersonics01.jpg

The Herschel Space Telescope and Phobos-Grunt projects are marinating. However, I am making some progress updating the James Webb Space Telescope and enlarging it to 1:48 to match Ton's Hubble. Ultimately, it will make a better display for the Planetarium at that scale (allowing me to swap the smaller JWST to the Emerald Coast Science Center to replace the busted one).

I'll likely dump the new JWST work to a separate thread. Had a couple of emails from the JWST team at NASA - apparently their lawyers are involved in deciding what they can post on the website (the Mercury MESSENGER bunch wasn't so concerned I guess). Well, it'll shortly either be up there or here - assuming I get it done. The sunshades really need to be resized to the correct proportions - it's always something.

Yogi
Google Adsense