PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-14-2010, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
Nice x planes.

Nice thread you have here. I'll try a few of the stomp rockets with my kids and then try them out with my local scout/cubs group that my son is a member of.

do the plastic bottles only get one stomp out of them by the way?
Old 08-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
You can get a lot (20+) of stomps out of one bottle. They will get pretty ugly after a while but I've only had one actually break (9-year-old from a flying leap onto the bottom of the bottle). It's best to stomp on the middle of the bottle - have them stomp on the label.

Yogi
Old 08-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Eternal Member

JamesWebb (one more time) SpaceTelescope

Resized to 1:48 to better display with Ton's Hubble, which then provided an opportunity for some more fiddling. I think I'm done but I'll let things rest before posting.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p1010125.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p1010122.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p1010119.jpg

Yogi
Old 08-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Eternal Member

National Museum of Naval Aviation - Air Force Night

Cleared the shelves again - the 479th Training Group (USAF) onboard Naval Air Station Pensacola hosted an Air Force Night at the Museum at the National Museum of Naval Aviation. Air Force Association set up a table (literature, magazines, info board, membership applications - and I brought the bait). Set up a little early to catch some museum traffic and then had a couple of hundred people at the event.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-namuseum27aug10.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-namuseum27aug10-3.jpg

The simple F-35 gliders were give-aways (you must be less than 4 feet tall to play ...) and the Dime models, FG SNJ Texan and SB2C Helldiver, Ojimak T-45, Ton's X-43, paper-replika X-51, and my Global Hawk were donated to the Museum's Adventure Deck programs (science camps for kids). The Hubble went to the IMAX folks to use promoting the Hubble IMAX film they are showing in the theater (JWST already has a home). The Helldiver they just pulled up from the lake in California is already at the museum for restoration (sitting out in the yard next to the fence in the rain) so I thought that was a particularly apt model.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pns-museum-hubble.jpg

Instead of using a "greatest hits" picture for the display base I used the cover sheet for the Hubble Site/Ton intermediate model - the idea is to give those interested the info they need to download and build their own from Hubblesite.org. Base is just 3/8 inch particle board with a coathanger wire support running up the center of the Hubble bus, three extra bulkheads build in to stiffen the part and provide structure for the wire.

Also made sure I had handouts listing where every model on display could be found for free download or from Fiddler's Green.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 08-28-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Good propaganda, Yogi! And a good opportunity to show your stuff. Non- paperbuilding people are apparently amazed what can be done with paper. I see you had a nice spot there, close to a very shiny Vought Cutlass. Before you were retired_for_now, were you a pilot yourself?
Google Adsense
Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Eternal Member

Projects ...

Well, the Phobos-Grunt and Herschel space telescope projects are still fermenting, though the 1:48 scale JWST is up at the NASA JWST web site for download. The James Webb Space Telescope and follow the link for "make your own model" down the middle of the page.

Next one up?
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-petal3.jpg
Strong and regular with lots of fiber.

Yogi
Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Looks like I picked a good time to show up finally.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:59 AM

Hmmmm... Do I see something that has had a bouncy ride? (-;
Old 09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Eternal Member

Laser-like focus or unhealthy obsession?

Paper Kosmonaut is to blame for this one (and several days of continuous rain while the lawn goes to jungle). His Sojourner diorama is absolutely superb - but it looks a little lonely.
Aside - apparently from analyzing hi-res photos of the Pathfinder landing site from the Mars Global Observer they determined the station "died" before the rover. When Sojourner lost contact with the Sagan science station it went into a pre-programmed search and circled the station a couple of times before its own batteries died. Kinda sad ...
Anyway, prototype looks like this:

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p1010009.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p1010010.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p1010011.jpg

Could use work on the petal hinges, low-gain antenna mount detailing, imager calibration targets, and lots of wiring. If the petals are built to move (always problematic with paper structure) then the undersides would need to be detailed with the structure and airbag inflation gear. You could add the internals under the cover if you're really hard core (and you know who I'm talkin' to). Something for someone with more sustained concentration to attempt - any takers?
Diagrams and some internal documentation but I haven't done instructions yet.

Yogi
Old 09-02-2010, 01:55 AM

Nice! What material are the deflated balloons made of?
Google Adsense