PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-22-2009, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I figure the first stage is the only stage that needs to be sealed so the allowance of detail is endless.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Endless detail - until it lands on the pavement ...

Will have some pix later today of an ARES stomp rocket (fuel cost - nil, reload time - fast, safety factor - cool). Will see about updating the plan with Jon to include this - or maybe post the entire thing (launcher + rocket) here. Will need to do some research or bother rickstef about posting ...

Yogi
Old 06-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Eternal Member

ARES I Stomp Rocket

Quick modification to the simple ARES I (LHVCC) and -

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6220454.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6220455.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6220456.jpg

Power is 2 liter soda bottle, neck screws/jams into a 3/4" PVC conduit coupling (gray is a little more flexible than white). Launcher is made of 3/4" PVC parts, with an adapter to neck it down to a 1/2" PVC launch tube. That gives you about a 7/8" inch rocket diameter, which is as big as I could go without really goofing up the rocket's proportions.

Yogi

Note from picture - this is an outdoor toy! You can get 100' easy from a simple tube rocket. This one is twice as heavy - so less height. Also needs some stability work. I thought the swell of the skirt at the aft end would help, but not so. Next step is to tweak the aft skirt to add some cut flaps to fold out as fins.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:12 PM

One hundred feet? I am impressed!
Reminds me of water rockets (circa 1968) fill with some water, pump in some air, launch!

Found this link for water rockets, different design but still neat!
Attached Thumbnails
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-8-water_rockets.jpg  

Old 06-26-2009, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Wow, that is some impressive builds.
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Eternal Member

Slowing down a little

We're almost up to realtime - easy first set of posts since I was catching up from last Spring. Still piddlin' along.

Drew up a kick motor assembly for the 1:48 Voyager that's posted with Jon Leslie - jparenti did a test build and it seems to work OK. I'll have to update the plans and resend them to Jon (by and by).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6210458.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6210461.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6210455.jpg

Did a few more payloads for the stomp rocket launcher - posted in the downloads section. NASA's shuttle glider works very well (use all four nose weight pieces to balance the internal tube "motor") and is quick and simple enough to build replacements (haven't put one in traffic yet, but it's got the range).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6250460.jpg

Took a break to do an FG BG (they're having a sale so I bought the DVDs - my bit for economic stimulus). And, it's the photo angle. The wing root fairing actually flows fairly smoothly after I did a little trimming.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6260457.jpg

Working on a few more stomp rocket payloads for the Independence Day challenge (see Comp/Contest/Challenge forum) ...

And doing preliminary work on the just launched Lunar Recon Orbiter mission in the new moon race (China, India, Japan are all headed that way too). Motivated by Dyna-Soar's build - but it just seems incomplete without the accompanying LCROSS and Centaur upper stage impactors.

And of course - cut the damn grass and sweated off a quick 5 lbs (rehydration and malt/hops replacement in progress) ...
Old 06-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Eternal Member

A Probe with Impact

As noted in the kit releases section - did up an LCROSS/Centaur lunar impactor to complement the NASA model of the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (see Dyna-Soar's thread "LRO"). Scaled everything to 1:48 since I seem to be working there (1:200 for rockets, 1:100 or 96 for space capsules, 1:48 for space probes). LCROSS and Centaur are posted in the downloads section - with a link to NASA's LRO noted (LRO comes at 1:30-ish scale, not marked anywhere).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6290454.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6300463.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6300459.jpg

Any thoughts from the crowd? I'm thinking 1:24 or so would be better for students to handle - 6-10" models rather than 3-5" for the probes.

Yogi - is bigger better?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

Your 12' Can Yak is simply beautiful. It kind of reminds me of the Phil Bolger style boats but looks fairer.

In the download section of this forum are some "Penny Ekranoplans" (Wing in ground effect gliders)that I designed, that can be a lot of fun for children or adults to study ground effect. They fly in ground effect very nicely, I use a yardstick and a rubber band to launch them. Feel free to use them for whatever you wish and they may be modified with whatever logos and designs you wish, if you are interested. I offer these with no strings attached.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Eternal Member

Z - well, I do have more than one (OK, a lot more than one) book on the shelf full of Bolger's designs. This is hull number 6 or 7 for me (not counting 8-10 little wooden models), more than half of which were Bolger designs from Dynamite Payson's "Instant Boat" series. I love Bolger's Boats With an Open Mind - get it if you don't have it. And if you're building, try Dynamite's site (instantboats.com). They make great model projects too.

The Ekranoplanes should work from the straw (small) or stomp rocket launchers. Launch flat and see how far they go? Thanks - I'll give it a go and post the results. Still trying to get a stable "walkalong glider," getting the CG right is a b****.

Yogi (... not the one)

Yeah, I know you've never heard that before but I've been twitching for days trying to suppress it. Thanks, I feel better now.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Banned

People love or hate Phil Bolger, I fall into the love category. I will have to look into instantboats.com. I just gave away a 19'2" O'Day Mariner. I needed something smaller and I knew a guy who really wanted it and would give it a good home. My wife qwants me to build an open rowboat with minial sail so we can go out on the lakes. I'm thinking a s doubled ended Sharpie Yawl with a simple rig so she can self tend. Stich and sew method. I was also contemplating a Cat/Yawl with a Gaff rig which would give us more cockpit room but the Sharpie design is top on my list. I may design something myself but "borrowing" some of Bolgers design and making something "different". I have neve4r sailed a boat with lee boards and they don't look as they would perform so well so I will probably making a centerboard setup. I have a small machine shop in my house so making the fittings won't be hard. If by chan e you have any sugestions I would love to hear them. Thanks.
Google Adsense