PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-08-2011, 04:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
That looks very good and promising!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Promises, Promises

Thanks, PK.

So, the tongue and groove field joint actually worked (with a little massaging). Refer to the tips section about cutting, micro-features are important here. When you cut card with a knife the angle of the blade edge compresses the paper outward (away from the cut on either side) which bulges the surface. The joint is formed by gluing a strip on either face (inside/outside) of the edges of one fairing half to form the groove, the edge of the other fairing half slips into that groove - AFTER you smooth down the cut edge to remove the bulged edge formed when it was cut.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-fairingparts01.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-joint01.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-joint02.jpg

The joint actually works well to hold the fairing's shape, once you get it to go together.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-joint03.jpg

The top ring on this first fairing section closes around/supports the Centaur. Two more constant section cylinders to go - seems the entire Centaur/X-37 stack fits in the constant section, with the tapered nose basically empty.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-x-37stack03.jpg

Fit so far seems to be OK - big challenge will be to figure out how to glue up a full length half section for display while still retaining the ability to join the halves. Might not be possible since putting the tongue and groove joint together is hard enough for one fairing section. Opening up the joint for easier assembly will probably cost me the stiffness it now provides and also require some type of fastening to hold it shut when assembled (good friction fit as is).

Yogi
Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 AM

Beautiful technique! Very refined and almost invisible.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks PK - still trying to adhere to the aerospace mantra: simplicate and add lightness. I can think of several things that would stiffen the part (vertical stringers, more frame rings) and alternate closures (segemented joint, alternating tabs, physical connectors) but they all drastically increase the parts count and complexity. We'll see how the rest goes as the upper sections need to have inner surfaces as well to model the vibration attenuators (all those hockey pucks visible on the inside of the fairing in the pix).
Big challenge will be to try and build the conics for the nose in halves (might build it up as one piece with partially split ring formers then cut it apart - if I can master the alignment and cut a straight line).
Yogi
Old 01-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Eternal Member

Glitch alert!

So, Les has posted a link to more great post flight photos of the X-37 and it looks like they show one engine, placed off-center ... What the heck? Back for more research on that one. Can't imagine why they would alter the pictures or remove one engine after landing.

Anybody have the answer?

And after a closer look at the launch pictures and reading the blogs of the more technically adept it seems the X-37 stack used the short, 68 foot payload fairing. That's an easier fix; just means one less stacked cylinder in the fairing build up and moving some graphics around; nose remains the same (and the same "how do you build it in halves" problem).

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 01-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Eternal Member

Another layer on the Atlas fairing

So, with a shortie fairing this is the constant section part of the stack. Need to shift the graphics around a bit, I think. Vibration attenuators also need to be installed.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-x-37stack04.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-payload01.jpg

Upper cylinder is constructed the same as the lower one - tongue and groove joint lengthwise, slip fit onto lower section. Next challenge remains figuring out how to do the nose cone. If I build it to split lengthwise it will be difficult to position the formers. More thinking required.

Yogi
Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Talking Offset Nozzle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
So, Les has posted a link to more great post flight photos of the X-37 and it looks like they show one engine, placed off-center ... What the heck? Back for more research on that one. Can't imagine why they would alter the pictures or remove one engine after landing.

Anybody have the answer?
Hi,

Yogi: The reason the engine is offset is that this is a one engine configuration, two engines can be put on this vehicle depending on the mission. The picture has not been altered and they did not remove the engine. The placement of the engine does not affect the vehicle adversely in any fashion because they compensate with computer controlled attitude adjustment.

PS If you like ironclads checkout this site: http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/ironclad.html
Old 01-16-2011, 03:17 PM

@ Ironcladman: That's what I thought already - the alignment compensation by computer, that is. So you say they also can add another engine as the mission requires another one? That makes me think of what someone said on Nasaspaceflight: Then they might have chosen the wrong engine. However, How would the X-37b's backside be rearranged then? Would they replace the whole aft panel in such a case? Well, it's a test vehicle anyway, so...

@Yogi: I got the model today. It looks great. Nice details, good instructions. (as usual.) Will the shroud set be available in the same way?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Eternal Member

PK - thanks for the compliments, trying to bulk up Chris' inventory of "real" spacecraft. Might even make enough to buy another set of ink cartridges ...

I think the shroud will probably be a freebie, call it a pseudo display stand. I still need to finish drawing up the nose conics. Procrastinating while I think some more on how to build it in halves. No additional challenges to just build up the shape, but as soon as I split it the placement of the ring frames to hold shape becomes critical (you can't just drop them in and glue them wherever they fit). It might be less of an issue than I think (just make sure the ends of the half-frames match the edges of the panels?). We'll see.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 01-30-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: OCD on spelling errors ...
Old 01-16-2011, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Talking It's a Test Veeeeehicle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
@ Ironcladman: That's what I thought already - the alignment compensation by computer, that is. So you say they also can add another engine as the mission requires another one? That makes me think of what someone said on Nasaspaceflight: Then they might have chosen the wrong engine. However, How would the X-37b's backside be rearranged then? Would they replace the whole aft panel in such a case? Well, it's a test vehicle anyway, so...
Yes, the original design has the capability to put two engines in the rear. Light payload mission, one engine, heavy payload, two engine, or depending on orbit mission capabilities.

No, they have the right engine for the vehicle, it is just an available option.

The second engine goes right beside the first. Yep, it is a test vehicle, so you will see some more changes to come. It's really nice though. Practical and functional.

PS If you like ironclads checkout this site: http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/ironclad.html

Last edited by Ironcladman; 01-16-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Left out Information!
Google Adsense