PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Jon has to fit it in his schedule at LHVCC. Payload version is 1:96 which will take some rearranging to get back to 1:24. Standby, Les.

Yogi
Old 04-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Eternal Member

Cleared the shelves

Well, some of them. I still have the prototype Atlas and Taurus builds to pass on at the next teachers' meeting. But Herschel, Planck, the complex Mars Science Lab and the prototype Juno probes are out at the Planetarium. They're redoing the display cases (adding LED lighting) so will get pix when they're done.

Yogi

(still waiting on ESA to see if they want to host their telescopes - or to LHVCC shortly if I run out of patience with the bureaucracy)
Old 04-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Eternal Member

Taurus II almost ready

Having the instructions, etc. checked. Should be ready to post shortly. I think this is as complex as it will get, though the ExPRESS carrier is shere fantasy on my part at this point.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-express03.jpg
ExPRESS
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-cygnus.jpg
Cygnus

Early iterations show the first attempt at making the joiner ring between the interstage and fairing part of the payload adapter (incorrect).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-taurus01.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-taurus04.jpg

Final (?) interation puts the adapter deck as part of the interstage with the second stage (Castor-30 solid), payload adapter, and payload as separate parts. With a little massaging of the parts, the Cygnus adapter slip-fits to the payload adapter so you can take it completely apart.

Yogi
Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
Yogi,

Neither the Penguins nor the models are insanity! (Or the work with the schools, I play with the Cub Scouts.) The whole purpose of these activities is to ward off the insanity that would sneak past the bordom if you were not doing something you loved.

George
Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks George ... though I, of course, would never use the i-word in reference to "she who collects all those penguins."
Download the straw rocket booklet for lots of things you can do with the cubs ... or the basic stomp rockets (quick and easy morning to build the launcher, drink the soda, and make lots of rockets). Combine that with mbauer's inclinometers for highest launch competition or a long tape measure to see who can figure out how to launch a rocket the farthest ... let 'em play with different fins, weights, nose cones, etc.
Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Just FYI, the Castor 30XL has been added as an option for the Taurus II. Only the first flight will use the Castor 30A as you have here. The next three will use the Castor 30B, and the rest will use the XL. The B will have a darker color (gunmetal) to the nozzle as it's only physical difference, but the XL is almost 50% longer at 202 inches along with the darker nozzle. Here is a link to a picture of a Star 30B, which uses the same material as the nozzle to show you the color better.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/i...=post&id=11399

Also, do you have pictures of the orbital maneuvering kit available for the T2?

Last edited by downix; 04-27-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Eternal Member

The perils of leading the curve

Thanks, Nate. The perils of trying to get ahead of the launch schedules (same as with the Falcon9 iteration one). Orbital is (was?) also talking about a restartable, liquid fuelled advanced upper stage.
For the orbital maneuvering kit, are you talking about the orbit raising kit?
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-orbitraisingkit.gif

The basics will just be the Castor-30 and Cygnus with integral propulsion on its modified STAR bus. The integral propulsion is designed to allow Cygnus to make a close approach to the ISS and then be grappled aboard with the arm - like the JAXA and ESA resupply vehicles.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 04-27-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Thanks, Nate. The perils of trying to get ahead of the launch schedules (same as with the Falcon9 iteration one). Orbital is (was?) also talking about a restartable, liquid fuelled advanced upper stage.
For the orbital maneuvering kit, are you talking about the orbit raising kit?
Attachment 87025

The basics will just be the Castor-30 and Cygnus with integral propulsion on its modified STAR bus. The integral propulsion is designed to allow Cygnus to make a close approach to the ISS and then be grappled aboard with the arm - like the JAXA and ESA resupply vehicles.

Yogi
Right, the ORK, which is really just a Cygnus with one less main engine. The restartable liquid stage is on the back burner for the immediate future as far as I can tell. I suspect that the Soyuz 2-1v program may limit their access to the US engine for the next year or so.

The Taurus II is a pretty slick design, all in all.

I need to finish my AJAX model first, however. I should actually start a thread to show how it comes together I suppose.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Eternal Member

Busy day - dropped off a Curtis Pusher Model D (100 Years of Naval Aviation ) at the commissioning of the National Flight Academy. Bookends with Neil Armstrong attending and Eugene Cernan as keynote speaker. Then to Herbie for the dedication of the MC-130E Combat Talon in the airpark (64-0567) and a chat with the Chief of Staff of the Air Force (Norty Schwartz).
Good day for name dropping folks much more accomplished than I.

Yogi (definitely time for a nap ...)
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Eternal Member

A long-ish week

Not too much for an update here - been busy in the "trying to stay retired" category. Cleared out the 1:48 scale X-37 in the display fairing and three AtlasV models (Juno, X-37 OTV, and New Horizons) by passing them on to the teachers that worked the last teacher workshop - for use in their classrooms (as long as they last with little hands ...).

Did another rocket science session for the Emerald Coast Science Center's summer camps - eight more 6-9 year olds but no ducks to distract them on the launching range. Simple rocket & instructions used. They can be built (and colored) by the little ones in an hour (with a little help here and there). Scissors, Scotch tape, and pattern is all that's required. Then to the range and lined up with a launcher (loads and stomps their own rocket), a range safety officer (make sure no people - or squirrels - are at risk on the range), and a launch controller (gets to do the countdown and call launch). We launched (and launched, and launched, and ...) to see who's rocket would go furthest.

MakingRockets.pdf

RocketPattern.pdf

StompRocketLaunchers.pdf

Lots more neat (and more detailed/complex) stomp rockets in our downloads, at Lower Hudson Valley, and at ECardmodels for them to graduate to later on (passed on a list of links for them to give to mom & dad). I don't know how school teachers do it day in and day out, but even I can make it through a morning's session to build and launch rockets - a pretty satisfying experience (and the kids seemed to have a lot of fun; oops, a lot of learning I meant).

And the current project is over on the aviation threads - Blue Angels series.

Yogi
Google Adsense