PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 406.41 MB
"I think I'm done tweaking the graphics"

I don't think I ever get finished tweaking the graphics. I was just screwing around with the Atlas Centaur 10 file the other day.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
And I just finished building the AC10 (great kit BTW)- and now its different!
I was actually quite pleased with how mine came out. It was my first attempt with metallic paper (grainy silver Wausau stuff from Staples-not the beautiful shiny Red River kind-but still a pleasing effect overall on the model).

I'll try put some photos up today.

erik
Old 09-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Agree Mark - but at some point you just have to call a "formal" halt and move on to something else. Or, at least rename the file after any more changes ...

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-msl_curiosityupdate.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p9230027.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p9230024.jpg

Lot's of little bits is right - but, the suspension does work. Cross linkage works surprisingly well just using the little bits of card on the ends (lever to main suspension pivot). Getting everything lined up was a chore. Got some torsional twisting on the portside aft tube and a little nose up on the deck - but close enough. Test build of the revised center suspension leg still to go - and cleanup before posting this latest.

Yogi
Old 12-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Eternal Member

Clearing the shelves at a Teacher Workshop

So, another Teacher Workshop completed. Did this one in partnership with the National Flight Academy on board NAS Pensacola (next to the Naval Aviation Museum) and supported by Boeing (shameless plug but they gave us a chunk of change!). 38 teachers were treated to a flight line tour, a tour of the Flight Academy, a sim mission/flight at the Flight Academy, and a hands-on seminar. We also got the Civil Air Patrol to fly four of the teachers as well (interested US teachers see Join as AEM - Civil Air Patrol or the educator page at Educators - Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary ).

Cleared the shelves of seven airplanes-on-a-stick (F104, T38s, T45, F102, and X12 from Ojimak/Paragon/& me); three X-37 Orbital Test Vehicles and a paper-replika Virgin Galactic SpaceShip Two; six more straw rocket launchers (several pages deep in our download section); two 1:24 scale Curiosity Mars rovers and two 1:12 versions of same (in the unmanned real space downloads); and the Mars Science Lab aeroshell-skycrane-rover combo (in the unmanned real space downloads).

Ready for some quiet time since I am, for my sins, the organizer of these things (though the real work comes from the teachers who present the content at the seminars).

Yogi
Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Eternal Member

Workshop Pictures

Pictures, of course, of the door prizes.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-doorprize01.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-doorprize02.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-doorprize03.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-doorprize04.jpg

Yogi
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Eternal Member

Building a little rocket garden (Mercury/Redstone to Saturn V) for this event at the Naval Aviation Museum National Flight Academy - Salute to the Pioneers of Space . Any suggestions on a quick Apollo capsule to build in 1:48? Have Ton's and Surfduke's but not looking to get very detailed for what will be table displays ...

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pc020006.jpg

I just cleaned up the work table ... really, I did.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quick you say? You could do Delta7Studio's Christmas EVA Elf. Probably not overly detailed or correct, but definitely humorous.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Eternal Member

The Capsules & etc.

Thanks, David. Humorous but ...

So the 1:48 scale man-cans from the '60s. Ton's capsules plus the recolored Gulf Oil Company LEM (with a little extra card left on for strength) from Lower Hudson Valley.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pc050009.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pc060011.jpg

Yogi
Old 12-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Eternal Member

Finishing up the Year

So, finished up this just in time for last weekend's event for the Naval Aviation Museum - more detail in separate lunar rover thread with comments by the designer G.Friedel.
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pc110017.jpg

Started what will likely end up as another rocket garden - maybe (1:200 scale again). Might be something to do a forward look with - boosters, capsules, interplanetary mission vehicles ...
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pc190001.jpg

Anyway, it's David Brown's NASA SLS available at AXM paper models. Nicely drawn. Builds well (designer learned from Alphonso and Ton it seems). The few build notes I came up with:
- upper SRB segments need to be trimmed to match the width of the lower parts to ensure a tight fit;
- SRBs need a ring at the base of the skirt to close the skirt-to-nozzle space;
- you'll need a couple wraps of card to shim the fit between the bottom of the H2 tank and the thrust structure;
- be prepared to make up some connector strips for the tube and conic segments if you're building a display model.

All in all a worthy addition to the inventory - let's hope they build it and fund the payloads needed to get out of LEO.

Yogi
Old 12-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Eternal Member

Christmas present for Whovians

So, a little Christmas present for "SHE who never ceases to surprise me." First shock was when I ordered a critter cam (motion/heat triggered remote camera typically used for staking out a potential hunting area) from Cabellas. Something has been destroying (literally) our backyard bird (well, mostly squirrels actually) feeders. Bent/broke an inch and a half steel tube support last time before eating - yes, eating - the bird feeders and their contents.
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-feederkaput.jpg

So, she saw the cam when I opened the package and went ga-ga - "greatest Christmas present ever!" So much for pink and fuzzy gifts. Only visitor so far is a possum (every night - she's named it George).

Anyway, we've been Who fans since Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker arrived on this side of the Atlantic (ambivalent on the latest version - Matt Smith - but David Tennant is a hard act to follow). She mentioned she really needed one of these:
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-pc240006.jpg

So she'll have one under the tree (it's in the sci-fi downloads if you'd like your own).

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 12-24-2012 at 04:15 PM.